mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF Boot Time - 42 seconds?????"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 16, 2011 @ 06:30 PM
f_k_s18@hotmail.com
Total Posts:  38
Joined  03-15-2004

Hey everyone. I just measured the boot time on my XF7 and it’s ridiculously long - about 42.2 seconds. Is everyone’s boot time about the same thing? Can I do anything to speed it up? Thanks in advance for any advice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2011 @ 07:36 PM
zikerstu
Total Posts:  326
Joined  08-06-2008

That’s still faster than my 7 minute boot/load time on the XS! Unless your just talking about when you turnt he power on! It still takes a little time as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2011 @ 08:09 PM
f_k_s18@hotmail.com
Joined  03-15-2004

7 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN!!! That’s long. My boot time refers to the time between the power button is pressed and the time when I actually see the first voice displayed on the screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2011 @ 08:27 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11392
Joined  09-16-2010
f_k_s18@hotmail.com - 16 February 2011 06:30 PM

[...]I just measured the boot time on my XF7 and it’s ridiculously long - about 42.2 seconds. [...]

That’s probably about right—my XS6 takes approximately 34 seconds.

I haven’t tried “overclocking” the processor yet. ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2011 @ 11:03 PM
sewa
Total Posts:  97
Joined  08-03-2004

yes, it takes long. Considerably longer than on the ES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2011 @ 11:36 PM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-17-2003

You mean an ES without AUTOLOAD and (!) without plug-in boards.
I am saving my money for an XF.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2011 @ 04:08 AM
f_k_s18@hotmail.com
Joined  03-15-2004

LOL @ 5pinDIN. Thanks for the info everyone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2011 @ 06:36 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3019
Joined  01-25-2005

40 seconds is about right for my XF. Seems longer when you are staring at the screen, eh?  ;)

scuriware is correct...the ES boots faster but not when I had PLG boards and autoloaded samples.

I’m sure zikerstu is autoloading if his XS boot takes 7 minutes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2011 @ 10:10 AM
whinecellar
Total Posts:  14
Joined  09-16-2009

Hello,

Just got my XF7 and was surprised to find the same thing - 42 seconds.  Seems insanely long for a keyboard made in 2010!  The sole reason I upgraded from my XS7 was because of the flash capability (and not having to carry a USB stick around all the time). And yes, that does save me a few minutes of reboot time compared to an XS, but 42 seconds?!?  That’s an eternity in a live situation…

Hoping an OS update can fix this!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2011 @ 10:28 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1737
Joined  10-22-2004
whinecellar - 04 May 2011 10:10 AM

That’s an eternity in a live situation…

Seriously, this includes no sound check, no setup time, what? How exactly is it an eternity. Taking out my classical electric, plugging it in, tuning it and getting good level takes considerably longer than 42 seconds. And, as others have mentioned my boot time for an XS, with 512mb memory and a 484mb autoload file takes several minutes. I don’t time it anymore because there are other things I am doing, checking mic batteries etc…

The only time this is a pain is when power goes out in the middle of a set. But, 42 seconds I can fill that time interacting with the audience with no problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2011 @ 11:07 AM
vam.yang
Total Posts:  76
Joined  05-14-2009

Unless you constantly turn your motif on and off, it shouldn’t be a problem.  I accepted it… Just do something, or twiddle your thumbs while you’re waiting, contemplating your next killer music jams.  If you’re really turning your motif on and off that much to matter, your motif is probably going die soon…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2011 @ 08:09 PM
youdog
Total Posts:  482
Joined  01-30-2009

The XS boot time is about 12 seconds faster than the XF!

Test done without any new simples.

XF 42 no flash board
XS 30 no simple ram

Also the xs loads a 120mb faster than the xf!

The Xf only wins when the xf has simples on flash board!
The first time you load 1GB of simples on the xs it takes min but it take about 2hours on the xf the 1st time.

The good think about the xf you dont have to keep loading!
Also it will take the xf more than 42 sec to boot with 1gb flash board and 1GB of simples on it.

Some time i dont need new simples for live show.
New simples dont mean better sounds ask DAVE and Easy sounds they know.
Yahama put their best in the board.

I have stage&studio;and organimation (no new simples)libraries and they sounds better than somes of the libraries i buy from shop with new simples.

I have a GB of RAM in my XS but live i dont need all that now in the home studio I do autoload about 800MB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2011 @ 09:31 PM
whinecellar
Joined  09-16-2009

Wow, tough crowd!  Sorry fellas, but it IS an eternity in some live situations - i.e. power failures, etc.  I’m not switching my XF on & off or doing anything silly like that… I routinely play for high-profile concert tours & live events where “twiddling my thumbs” isn’t an option in the middle of a show.  And while I do use a UPS for my rig on tours, there are occasions like TV shows & fly dates where that’s not option, and those are the times when a crew guy will inevitably trip over a power cable…

Besides, the whole point is that the flash expansion is supposed to save the time it used to take to load data via USB - a real benefit in situations like mine.  And yes, it does indeed work as it’s supposed to - but it strikes me as ironic that you still have to wait 42 seconds before the XF can do anything!  I don’t know of any other current pro-level synth with such a long boot time.

FWIW, I absolutely love the Motif line - it’s the only keyboard that does what I need it to do, and as such I’m honored to be a Yamaha endorsee.  Just hoping this one improvement can be made to take it over the top ;-)

Best,

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2011 @ 10:36 PM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-17-2003

Ever booted a Windows7 PC?

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2011 @ 10:57 PM
whinecellar
Joined  09-16-2009

Ever booted a Windows7 PC?

Ha!  No, I’m a Mac guy but that’s a great point - all of my Macs boot faster than my Motif XF, and those are running much more complex OS’s, loading via hard drives as opposed to ROMs…

To be fair, in doing a bit of research it seems the XF isn’t the only ‘slow booter’ out there, but it would be nice if improvements could be made…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2011 @ 07:23 AM
Lumooja
Total Posts:  84
Joined  08-06-2007

My XF8 boots instantly: I turn it on, then I get the headphones from my PC table, and turn on the small keyboard lamp, and finally take off the dust cover from the XF8 and the XF8 has been ready for who knows how long time. No waiting time for me! :)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sample Edit problem
Next Topic:

Button Presses - Response Too Slow ››