mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading Inspiration in a Flash to Flash"

Posted on: February 09, 2011 @ 12:26 AM
jmcmathortho
Total Posts:  34
Joined  02-06-2004

I have tried to find the proper way to load the free waveform and samples from the “inspiration in a flash” download - I have not been successful.

I want to store these waveforms and (samples I suppose) on flash.  I would then like to cherry pick some voice programs from this file and save them to the USR memory.

If I am in the File All Waveform option It does not give the option of Load to FL1 it only gives the option of SAVE.  I don’t want to screw up and save my USR Waveforms to FL1.  I can’t find the proper procedure in the manual.

Why would one want to save the waveform without sample vs with sample?  I thought the waveform is the group of all samples.

Is there another reference I can refer to?  Thanks JM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2011 @ 12:56 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If I am in the File All Waveform option It does not give the option of Load to FL1 it only gives the option of SAVE.  I don’t want to screw up and save my USR Waveforms to FL1.  I can’t find the proper procedure in the manual.

The “InspirationInAFlash1.X3A” is an ALL data file type. You cannot load ALL WAVEFORMS from an ALL data file. You can open it and load individual Waveforms - you do so by setting the File TYPE = “waveform”.

If you want to load the file installing the Waveforms and Samples to your Flash board you would set the LOAD TYPE = “ALL WITHOUT SYSTEM” and set the LOAD options (located in the lower right of the FILE screen as follows): (we recommend the “all without system” anytime you are loading any one else’s data, what this does is preserve your UTILITY mode and system settings)

USR > USR
FL1 > FL1
FL2 > None*

The “FL1 > FL1” setting means the data in the “InspirationInAFlash1.X3A” that was on the FL1 board will be installed on your FL1 board.
The USR > USR setting would return any data that was in SDRAM at the time the file was saved will be returned to SDRAM. This data is not going to be installed on your FLASH board.

The file is only 480MB (or so, I’ve forgotten exactly) so you can surmise that this all fit on one board (the board in SLOT 1, i.e., FL1).

* the setting for FL2 is meaningless in this instance as no data was in slot 2.

Why would one want to save the waveform without sample vs with sample?  I thought the waveform is the group of all samples.

There are reasons to load WAVEFORMS without samples, and there will many reasons to SAVE your files ‘without samples’.

Once you install the InspirationInAFlash1.X3A to your FL1 board, say you write a couple of songs, and few patterns, and you want to save them. You do not need to SAVE all those samples to your file. Think about it. How long do you want to wait? The samples are not going anywhere, so you can save “without samples”. The Waveform data is saved but not the samples.

Remember the WAVEFORM data is tiny… it is the “pointers” that direct data where to be. That is the Key Ranges, the Velocity Ranges, the play mode direction, the name… these load in about a second. It is the audio data - the samples themselves which take minutes and minutes to load and to save. It is the samples that you do not want to save every time you make a file. So this is why you see save options for “without sample”

Once you assemble all the Waveforms and Samples you wish to have as your customer Motif XF, you might want to make an ALL data file that includes the samples… for archiving purposes. But you only need to do this once. Keep on your computer as a safety in case of emergency. But once you get your favorite data installed on your boards… in day to day use you will be SAVING “without samples”

Is there another reference I can refer to?

Please see the following article:

Motif XF Flash Memory Expansion Modules

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2011 @ 03:41 PM
AlanWT
Total Posts:  15
Joined  12-20-2010

Can you take a look at my situation please?
I’m now ready to load the InspirationInAFlash1.X3A and I have FL1024M installed in slot 1. Everything worked fine - following the above steps - until the message that [the data is now being installed to FLASH] continue onwards for 3.5 hours. Eventually, I got a message “bad disk or memory”.
I’m presuming this means the InspirationInAFlash1.X3A file on my stick is corrupt or the board is defective. I’m going to presume for now that it is not the latter (since in came straight out of the box from Yamaha) and will redownload the file and try again tonight. If this seems logical, I will proceed and report back. If I am missing something, please let me know. 
Thanks and happy holidays everyone.

Alan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2011 @ 03:59 PM
AlanWT
Joined  12-20-2010

I seem to have found the solution from Bad Mister’s post from Dec 2010 and it appears that the OS on my XF8 needs to be updated. So I will follow that post and this should be cleared up.

Alan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2011 @ 02:19 PM
AlanWT
Joined  12-20-2010

Successfully done last night.
The fix was from a similar issue raised and answered in this forum in December 2010, upgrade the OS (currently 1.20) before installing to flash.
Best,

Alan

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Looking for patchname script for Motif XF8
Next Topic:

Los Angeles Motif Users ››