mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Upgrade from AI to Cubase 6"

Posted on: January 22, 2011 @ 07:52 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Although I’m still using Cubase AI4 (but I have worked a lot on Cubase 5.1 at my friend’s studio), I would like to finally move to version 6.
Since I found on Steinberg on-line shop that there is possibility to upgrade to v.6 from AI 4/5 (but, of course I should buy USB key), when I tried to do that I have received information that this version is Educational and that I should provide a confirmation that I would use it as a teacher or any educational purpose.
Does anyone know something about upgrading from AI to full Cubase 6 version? I don’t need box’ed version, but download only, as it said that could be buyed. And, I know that in that case I should buy USB key for licence protection.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 02:37 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

When upgrading from the free AI version, there is no option to buy a download version of Cubase 6. You must buy the boxed version (plus a dongle) and the software itself costs $399.99 US for the upgrade.................frank

http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_product/product/cubase-6.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 09:04 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

I wonder. Wy does that upgrade AI5 to Cubase 6 costs in Europe 499 euros, while you have to pay in the USA just 399 dlrs.

Is that fair? Steinberg afterall is an European Company. LOL

Frank, for the record what costs an Upgrade from Cubase 5 to Cubase 6 in dlrs in the USA. I cannot get dlr prices because as soon as I go the Steinberg site I got euro prices not dlrs. LOL. It seems that we in Europe again are paying much more for our stuff than the americans. It is not fair. I payed 149 euros for my upgrade from Cubase 5 to Cubase 6.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 04:13 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Jan, I must admit, that due to my limited brain power, I do not...and probably never will..understand Steinberg’s pricing or their distribution system. :) Perhaps you pay more because you receive it earlier? :) For example, it could be another month before it’s available in Canada, and the poor folks in Australia will probably wait even longer. In Canada, the upgrade is going to cost $169 CAN yet in the USA it’s $149 US. The kicker is that the Canadian dollar is now valued slightly higher than the US dollar, so it should really cost either the same as in the US or slightly less here. Anyway, I guess everyone does have a choice concerning whether or not to buy the upgrade at the price listed for their country, but as far as it all making sense...well, I’ve heard a few explanations, but I must say I can’t agree with them. :) Cheers......................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 04:45 PM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

FrankE.

I agree. You cannot try to understand Steinberg’s pricing tactics. Ofcourse Cubase upgrade from 5 to 6 is worthed the full 149 euros, but sometimes you are wondering. Does Steinberg really believes that 1 USDLR = 1 EURO. LOL.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 07:44 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Frank,

Thank you for your answer. I tried (again) the same link as this you provided and finally there is information about upgrade price on the right side. At first time when I have tried, there is no information on the right, so that’s why I ask about box and download version.

Jan,

I agree with your question about prices in USA and EU. The same is about instruments, esp. Motifs. I was lucky to buy mine ES6 few years ago when local distributor has only one in the store and gave a 1000EUR discount! And price was comparable with the price in USA.
It is interesting that Steinberg as European company has cheaper products in USA, but the same is with Yamaha, since on my Motif ES it is written ‘Made in Japan’.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2011 @ 06:07 AM
SirJoseph
Total Posts:  199
Joined  03-06-2008

Maybe they sell FAR MORE units here in the US? Bulk is ALWAYS cheaper.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2011 @ 12:35 PM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Yes, most things are cheaper in the States than Europe.  There certainly is the issue of a larger marketplace, but don’t forget sales tax.  In the UK the sales tax (VAT) is 20%!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2011 @ 08:29 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I was bummed to see the AI4/5 to Artist 6 upgrade discount is only $50 in the USA. You still have to buy an e-key for $28 leaving you with only $22 savings :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2011 @ 02:40 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Uh yes, but AI users aren’t upgrading from a product they purchased, so I would suggest they are fortunate there’s any discount at all. :) And having a USB e-licenser (dongle) is a good idea no matter which version one decides to use........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Someone help me with MIDI control on Cubase 5
Next Topic:

Cubase 5 and Midi ››