mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "about effects/noise gate ???"

Posted on: January 22, 2011 @ 12:05 PM
RockinRobin
Total Posts:  213
Joined  01-22-2011

I am about to purchase a new Motif XF6 in two days. I have a classic 6 however it was recently dropped and broken. Bummer. My classic has a noise gate effect for recording vocals and I’ve downloaded the manual and spoke to yamaha .... to no avail. Can a user please tell me if in fact the new XF has a noise gate effect for straight vocal recording. Not vocoder effects style recording either. This is massively important as I use my motif as a stand alone studio. Please help. Thanks guys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2011 @ 12:48 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No, there is no Noise Gate effect among the Insertion Effects in the Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 08:47 PM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

I was surprised when I learned this. A gate takes such little processing power. I would have almost expected gates thrown in to most of the effects, sort of how like most of the effects include a 2 or 3 band EQ as part of their capabilities.

A gate is pretty much an extremely simple expander, and an expander is mostly a compressor with an inverted ratio, but you can’t go negative with the ratio setting on any of the Motif’s compressors, so no gates that way, either.

You need to put a vocal processor inline before the Motif A/D inputs for best results. Go look at boxes from TC Helicon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2011 @ 08:00 AM
RockinRobin
Joined  01-22-2011

Crazy.... I’m buying a tc helicon voiceworks with the motif xf 6. The tech at yamaha said I could use the gate in the classic compressor but I’m floored they took it out. What gives Yamaha?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2011 @ 10:31 AM
RockinRobin
Joined  01-22-2011

Does the motif xs have a noise gate effect and where can I download the datA list for the xs for all the effect types ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2011 @ 10:40 AM
lexus
Total Posts:  157
Joined  01-27-2006

The XS does have a Gate “preset” within the classic compressor effect, but I’m slightly confused over the way it works.  On my old Triton Extreme there was a Gate effect that worked like a Gate would, but the XS effect is one I’m still trying to get my head around...:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2011 @ 02:46 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

A single channel Boss noise gate is dirt cheap these days. New ones are
around 120 bucks at any Guitar Center, and you can find them used on e-Bay
for as low as 20 dollars.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2011 @ 11:28 PM
RockinRobin
Joined  01-22-2011

I just hate to record anything permanently. Even a noise gate. I don’t want to hear it working and if I do I have re record the vocals. Ugh. Thanks guys. I’m going to have to buy one I guess.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 128 MB ram
Next Topic:

***pLeAsE HeLP mE bAd MiStEr*** Sync arp/drums to melody. ››