mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XF Wireless function available with 4 new iPad® applications"

Posted on: January 14, 2011 @ 06:02 AM
davidteren
Total Posts:  88
Joined  06-18-2006

Now this is a good reason to upgrade from the XS;

A new OS update for the MOTIF XF offers wireless MIDI connectivity with Yamaha’s new iPad applications. After connecting a compatible Wi-Fi USB adapter, you can send and receive MIDI messages between the XF and the iPad. There are 4 new Yamaha iPad applications which expand the features of MOTIF XF including Keyboard Arp & Drum Pad, Faders & XY Pad, Multi Editor Essential and Voice Editor Essential which make it easy to play, tweak, mix and edit your MOTIF XF wirelessly from an Apple iPad. Check out new possibilities of MOTIF on the following page.

http://www.yamahasynth.com/jp/library/motif_xf/ipad/soon.html

*You need to update the MOTIF XF OS Wi-Fi eddition(OS updater will be available at the same time with these applications release.)
*You need to prepare USB Wi-Fi adapter (sold separately) to connect with iPad.(Confirmed adapters list will be published at the same timing of that these applications would be started to sell.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2011 @ 08:58 AM
W0lfgang
Total Posts:  222
Joined  07-14-2009

Motif xf + iPad + Flash memory + USB wi-fi adapter ....

No thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2011 @ 09:07 AM
lexus
Total Posts:  157
Joined  01-27-2006

I’d be interested if Karma Motif was available as an ipad application :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2011 @ 09:45 AM
ToneDeaf
Total Posts:  197
Joined  12-09-2007
davidteren - 14 January 2011 06:02 AM

Now this is a good reason to upgrade from the XS;

Hi David,

Just a quick question, as purely a hobbyist, I am at a loss as to the applications that such an interface would give you. What would you use it for?

Regards

Steve V

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2011 @ 11:30 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There are many really useful things you can do with the iPad apps… of course, it depends on what your musical focus is. They range from the very practical to the cutting edge. As with any tool, the more you are able to understand your synth, the better you are able to put the tool to use.

Imagine the Fader and XY Pad app… it gives you 8 virtual sliders. You can assign any 3 Control Change numbers to a slider for real-time manipulation. The single slider can transmit to any 3 MIDI channels or all to the same MIDI channel. Once you have assigned a parameter or parameters to the slider you can start scaling its range (it does not always have to move 0-127, you can limit range via a really cool LEARN function). Next you can open the XY Pad and “patch” control of this slider to four poles of the PAD… there are really cool virtual patch cables that drag between the poles and the Control Slider ( creating VECTOR control) attaching the north pole to slider 1 will now allow you control 0-127 (or the value range you have set) anytime you move the “ball” (a red dot icon) north and south on the grid. As you move north on the pad with your finger you are increasing the cc amount, as you move south you are decreasing. Say you have selected Filter Brightness, cc074, you would open and close the filter with the movement of the virtual ball.

Next say you set slider 2 to do PAN, and you connect it to the east pole, as you move the ball left to right the sound under its control will pan left to right.

With just these two assignments (and you can do many, many more) you can now start to play the Motif sound and control it with a finger on the pad. The ball can be set in motion and it can bounce off the sides of the pad - it has momentum, you can compel it to move an bounce around like “pong"… it is like a “gravity ball"… The resulting sound changes can be quite stunning.

As with all things new, some folks “get” the potential use right away, others are baffled as to why anyone would want to do that.

For the “more down to earth” folks, you can simply use it to control faders and add additional knobs to your XF. You can set it up as CS 1-8, while using the XF hardware CS as 9-16. You can extend the MULTI PART CONTROLS… You have 8 Reverb knobs, 8 Chorus or 8 Pan knobs on the front panel of the XF, the iPAD app could be used to simply allow additional controls.

The fact that you can ‘gang’ the controls together means that you can easily create new and previously impossible changes. You can “morph” an entire mix in heretofore impossible ways with a simple gesture ... turn a mix into a sonic tour-de-force… it is like the coolest real-time automation tool. If you ever wished you had 24 hands to control a mix - now can have just that. You are playing an organ Voice, and when its time for you to take couple of choruses soloing, you might want to adjust the mix, activate your rotary speaker, mute several instruments, pan others, raise the amount of reverb send on the snare, lower the guitar sound, and bring up the brass, etc., etc., etc., I’ve spent 2 days with it, and already I have about 20 things I really want to try.

That’s just the “Fader & XY Pad” app…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2011 @ 03:44 PM
ToneDeaf
Total Posts:  197
Joined  12-09-2007
Bad_Mister - 14 January 2011 11:30 AM

As with all things new, some folks “get” the potential use right away, others are baffled as to why anyone would want to do that.

And then there is me that did not read the full article on the apps properly and thus asks daft questions (blush).

Many thanks for the info

Steve V

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2011 @ 04:12 PM
fuse
Total Posts:  54
Joined  09-23-2002

The reason you play a keyboard that you don’t sit behind a computerscreen. Why then use a tablet that does the same thing the userinterface does?
To have it act as a remote for Karma would make more sense to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2014 @ 09:58 PM
ronmartyn
Total Posts:  15
Joined  06-15-2010

Do you know what the ipad requirements are? What Ipad os and model. the reason I ask is because I have 1st gen ipad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 06:08 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Do you know what the ipad requirements are? What Ipad os and model. the reason I ask is because I have 1st gen ipad

each App will have its requirements, so you will need to purchase each one carefully. Although the tablet devices deny they are computers they come with all the same pitfalls of versions and compatibility.

When you are interested in an App pay close attention to its stated iOS version requirements before purchasing. These are always listed… Always because it is very important to have the version that will run on your Operating System. Don’t look for “1st generation” iPad ... Look for your exact iOS version by number… No one can remember the generation number.. It’s all about that iOS version number.

For example, some App could be compatible with a first gen pad, but not run because it was not an updated version of the first generation iPad.

[ Ignore ]