mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha MM6 - Cubase Help"

Posted on: January 02, 2011 @ 07:52 PM
amaanProductions
Total Posts:  1
Joined  01-02-2011

Hey all,
I recently bought a Yamaha MM6 Synthesizer, I’m really new to producing and before any of this, and I was using a variety of programs to make beats.
The thing is, with the MM6, you can’t loop what you’ve played, so after getting over that major setback, I decided to connect to Cubase, and then play from there.
I don’t know if this is important but I didn’t use MIDI to USB, I used the USB to USB, but it worked normally and seemed to connect properly after I installed the drivers.

So I connected to Cubase, recorded audio, and went nuts because I thought it worked. When I played the keyboard and recorded audio on Cubase, while it was recording it played the correct voice on my MM6, but ended up with just a plain piano sound when I played it through Cubase. I then found out MIDI is not audio. I found out that I cannot
A. Loop my sounds directly from the keyboard.
and
B. Acquire the Motif voices on Cubase
So I found someone that posted the .xml file of the MM6 Voices, I downloaded that and imported it into Cubase. But when I record the MIDI track. I have no clue how to select the voices that I imported and I don’t even know how to select in instrument in Cubase.
So what I need is for someone to go INCREDIBLY in depth, and explain to me
1. How to play voices from my MM6 to Cubase
2. How to record the sounds from my MM6 to Cubase
I basically need someone to give me a rundown of how to take this take this keyboard out of the box and connect to Cubase and record tracks with the voices from my MM6.

Windows 7 32-Bit
Cubase AI4
Yamaha MM6

Thanks for any help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2011 @ 08:35 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

So I connected to Cubase, recorded audio

Not via the MM6’s USB you did not. If your goal is to record audio, you need to get an audio interface. The MM6’s USB connection, as you found out, is MIDI data only.

If you have installed the MM6 (XML) file, you can select sounds using it.

Create a MIDI track
Select the MM6 as the MIDI OUT device
The VOICE selection will appear just below the MIDI CHANNEL for the track.

In the screen shot below you can see the Standard Kit 1 is selected, and a list of the MM6 VOICES will appear.

You can select a different VOICE for each MIDI track you create.
This will allow you to build up a MIDI sequencer - up to 16 Tracks. In order to record this as audio you need to get an audio interface of some kind to connect the audio outputs of your MM6 to your computer.

There are many different types of audio interfaces. A basic one would be like the Yamaha AudioGram3 and AudioGram6, they offer 3 and 6 inputs, respectively. You would connect the audio outputs of the MM6 and you can connect a Microphone to this device - it would then (with the Yamaha Steinberg USB Audio driver) send the audio into Cubase. Additionally you would connect your monitor speakers to the AudioGram as it would take input from the computer and send the signal to your speakers

Image Attachments
MM6_XML.JPGAG3setup.JPGRouting.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2011 @ 09:45 PM
crocidadles
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-24-2010

This is the first time I have ever used a forum, so I hope I am typing in the correct place.  Does this answer about midi from the MM6 mean that you cant bring midi into cubase to edit it in that format (midi)then convert it to audio ?  Just say my piece has a mistake in it, and I adjust it in cubase (like raising a note a semetone).  After that, I would want to add voice and then finally mix it into a song for an audio player.

With thanks

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MM6 tweaked voices and Definitions
Next Topic:

Michael Jackson on the YAMAHA MM6? ››