mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF and free content from Inspiration in a Flash"

Posted on: December 28, 2010 @ 10:19 AM
gurbinderamar
Total Posts:  11
Joined  12-09-2010

Hi,

I’m hoping you guys can answer these questions for me. I have the motif xf8, I downloaded the free content from inspiration in a flash. I put it on a usb stick and plugged it into my keyboard. Now initially I had no issue loading one bank of voices which I directed to the USR 2 on the keyboard. Now keep in mind I do not own the flash cards, just the regular memory the keyboard came with.

The issues I face now are:

1. Once I load one bank of from the inspiration in a flash file, the names of the instruments that I just installed to lets say USR2 on the keyboard does not go away even when I restart the keyboard even though I need to reload the bank into memory because if I pick just a name it will be silent since the waveform or whatever is no longer in memory. I want to know how to remove the actual instrument names so its back to what it was originally.

2. If I load a bank, how do I unload it, so I can load a new different bank from the inspiration in a flash file, or does it just overwrite the other bank which I installed previously. The reason I ask this is because when I have tried to install another bank on top of the other, I get some kind of error like something isn’t formatted, or mounted properly, something like that.

If you guys can help me with this it will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gurbinder.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2010 @ 11:41 AM
gurbinderamar
Joined  12-09-2010

Oh and I wanted to add that I have tried resetting just the user to factory set instead of doing a complete “all” factory reset option, and the names of the instruments that I installed from the inspiration in a flash free content file are still in USR2 on the keyboard. I thought doing that partial reset should have removed the names but it doesn’t look like it does. I can do a complete factory reset if thats what I need to do, just let me know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2010 @ 12:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1. Once I load one bank of from the inspiration in a flash file, the names of the instruments that I just installed to lets say USR2 on the keyboard does not go away even when I restart the keyboard even though I need to reload the bank into memory because if I pick just a name it will be silent since the waveform or whatever is no longer in memory. I want to know how to remove the actual instrument names so its back to what it was originally.

Before we explain how to “remove” the names let’s make sure you understand what is happening. Those are more than the names. What you are seeing is all the VOICE parameters that make up those VOICES. When working with samples, this is what you must get clear. The VOICE parameters are those that address the sample, and turn it into a playable sound. VOICE parameters (which include the NAME), can be seen by pressing [EDIT]

They are divided into to main sections: COMMON EDIT and ELEMENT EDIT.
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Use the [F] Function and [SF] Sub Function buttons to view the various COMMON EDIT parameters. These are what turn an audio sample into a Motif XF Voice.

Press the numbered buttons [1]-[8] while in EIDT to view the individual ELEMENTS (or multi-samples) that make up a VOICE. Again the [F] and [SF] buttons will give you access to the parameters that make up each Element.

Of particular importance is the following screen when in ELEMENT Edit:
[F1] OSCILLATOR

As you may know the oscillator in a synth is the source of the vibration - it is the item that makes sound. None of the other parameters you have been looking through makes a noise, they only modify the oscillator. It is the oscillator that is the sound source.

On any of the VOICES you loaded what disappears when you power down is the WAVE (the oscillator source) because it is what was stored (temporarily) on the 128MB of volatile SDRAM you have in the XF.

See the parameters concerning the “WAVE” on the OSCILLATOR screen - the VOICE is pointing to a USR “Wave Bank” location - which is now empty - because you powered down the XF. RAM disappears when you power down.

If you were to reload the Wave data or if you owned a FLASH Memory Expansion Module, your VOICE data would be pointing to the sound source.

VOICE parameters are not volatile - they remain in memory between power cycles. What is volatile is the wave data that is housed on SDRAM.

So now to answer your question. You do not ‘remove’ the Voice names, you simply load in a new set of VOICE parameters - which will overwrite those currently in memory . You can do this by loading in another file or you can reset your unit to factory status. [UTILITY] > [JOB] > [ENTER] > [YES] - this will restore all factory Voices. The partial Facotry set only restores what it lists (please read it: USR 1 (USER 1 bank 1-128) and UDR (USER Drum bank locations 1-8

We recommend that you create an ALL data file that contains your own “Facotry” settings or that contains some work you have created. Then simply load that file back into memory. You can even create an AUTO LOAD file - this will restore whatever data YOU like to your Motif XF when you power it on.

There is no REMOVE or UNLOAD… you simply re-write.

Create an AUTO LOAD file

Once you have your data loaded into the Motif XF, save your data in an ALL data file (although you can auto load any type of file, since you have Voices and custom samples you might as well save them in an ALL data (*.X3A) File Type. You can then ‘teach’ the XF to find and load that data automatically on power up - so that when the keyboard is ready to play your samples will be there!

This process is called AUTO LOAD:

You can have the Motif XF automatically load your favorite data (including custom RAM samples) when you next power up* by doing the following:

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF4] AUTO LOAD
Press [SF5] SELECT
Set TYPE = ALL
Target the file by name “xxxxxxxxx.X3A”
Press [ENTER] to select
You will be returned to the AUTO LOAD screen
Set the parameter “AUTO LOAD” = ON
Press [STORE] to write this to Flash ROM. very important

Now the next time you power up the unit will load your data.

* note: The USB drive must be in place for the Motif XF to find the data

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2010 @ 12:14 PM
gurbinderamar
Joined  12-09-2010

Thank you so much Bad_Mister. Your explanation really broke it down so I could understand how the motif works. I will start by doing a complete factory set, and then once I have everything the way I want it I will create an autoload file. Thank you again for everything.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2021 @ 08:27 PM
msj103
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-30-2012

just want to say this post helped me a lot, and I’ve had my XF since 2011 just doing this.
thanks guys

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Are you kidding me? Aggressive Competition!!
Next Topic:

John Melas Complete XF Editor ››