mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "xs display backlight defect?"

Page 2 of 4
Posted on: December 27, 2010 @ 10:54 PM
Reggmail@
Total Posts:  17
Joined  04-05-2005

muzikoloog Thanks for keeping us informed on how you handled this.
I learned allot as to what to do if that happens to my XS although I usually keep mine on most of the time.

5pinDIN Defiantly seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful for you.

sciuriware Joop I couldn’t understand your post because it wasn’t in English...Lol.

muzikoloog I do have one question for you, Did you leave your Motif XS on most of the time, or did you cut it ‘’OFF and ON’’ for every use?
Not to suggest that one is better than the other or that it may have been the cause of the back light going out, but I’m just curious. (You can PM me the answer if you like)
Good luck on your new display.

Peace.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2010 @ 10:25 AM
muzikoloog
Total Posts:  25
Joined  01-15-2003

I normally always turn the xs off. I don’t know what is better. I am on the road a lot, so the xs is on and off al the time. The strange thing is, that the screen was black when i turned it on at one moment. Never had problems before. Normally you would expect that the problem starts with flickering or change in color or brightness. This was not the issue. Just turned on and there was the problem. Strange. If you consider that a ccfl tube light has a life span of 50.000 hours or more.

But i think in a couple of years there will be more display problems with the motif xs - xf. If you consider that it is not the most high tech screen. So a spare screen is wise to order i think. All the other parts are very durable and the xs is built very well is my humble oppinion. A display however has a certain life span and will be the first to go.

Hope i helped you with your question.

Greetings Mark.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2010 @ 03:09 PM
Reggmail@
Joined  04-05-2005

muzikoloog Thanks for your reply.

I guess it’s would depend on who you ask about which is better ‘’constantly leaving it on, or turning it off and on’’.
I rarely turn mine off and have done this with many external gear that’s older than the Yamaha XS and never had any screen problems.
Also, my contras setting is usually set very low, don’t know if that would help support longevity on the backlighting.
Again, good luck on your repair.
Peace.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2010 @ 01:27 PM
kpatz
Total Posts:  397
Joined  08-24-2007

Just my 0.02…

If the backlight failed suddenly, with no warning signs ahead of time, I’d be more likely to suspect the inverter than the tube itself, or a broken connection.  The tube is just a piece of glass with gas inside and electrodes on each end.  There’s not much that can go wrong there unless the glass breaks or a leak develops (rare).

Typically, fluorescent tubes (including CCFLs) will last longer if kept on vs. turning them on and off repeatedly.  But given the typical usage pattern of the XS, repeated power cycling isn’t likely to kill the CCFL before something else wears out/becomes obsolete.  Laptops have used CCFLs for years and those turn off when idle to save battery life, and they rarely wear out.

As for the contrast setting, this has no bearing whatsoever on the display or lamp life.

IMHO, given the size of the XS’s screen, I’m surprised it uses a CCFL backlight rather than an LED backlight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2010 @ 07:06 PM
Reggmail@
Joined  04-05-2005

kpatz Quote
IMHO, given the size of the XS’s screen, I’m surprised it uses a CCFL backlight rather than an LED backlight

Thanks for the info Brotha Kpatz.

I noticed that most new laptops as well as LCD’s have just recently started to use the ‘’side or backlight LED’s’’.
Don’t know why the Motif XF is not using LED backlight.
According to the expert review’s the LED’s is thinner and less energy use.
(Motif XF
Display 320 x 240 dot, 5.7 inch graphic color backlit LCD)

Maybe that LED side or backlighting has not been tested for longevity in terms of this type of usage, or it could have been a price point issue as well.
At any rate, thanks again for the input.
Peace.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2011 @ 04:22 PM
WaddyP
Total Posts:  65
Joined  08-19-2009
muzikoloog - 25 December 2010 07:33 AM

nice to have this expertise on the forum. I made a photo of the ccfl inverter. There are two components i believe to be 150amp fuses. But i’m not sure because they are revered to with “C” like capacitor. They also look like capacitors, but the info on them have nothing to do with caps. “x4 150A UD”.
I’m pretty sure they are fuses.

Please your opinion.

Those are Caps and that’s why they are labelled with a C on the PC board. I see no fuse devices on that board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2011 @ 08:34 PM
Reggmail
Total Posts:  92
Joined  02-06-2003

On another note, it would be nice to be able to have a HDMI, DVI, VGA output on the Motif SX that would allow us to over ride into an external better video moniter.

Brother muzikoloog, kpatz, WaddyP
Can you check for a video over ride hack while your in there....Lol
Or maybe that should have been the Motif XF....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2011 @ 08:49 AM
muzikoloog
Joined  01-15-2003

Yesterday i got all my ordered parts. So the complete new display and the ccfl tubes. I will for the challenge first try to fix the old screen with the new ccfl. It’s to easy to install the complete new screen.

Now let’s hope that is is not the inverter.

With the old tube removal i noticed that one side the pin broke off very quickly. The other side was very good attached. I think that the tube leaked at one side.

We will see.

By the way, i asked de display producer in what sort of devices the display is used. This is a wide array of devices. Copiers etc.

So if the inverter is defect, i will find a way to fix it or to replace it with another maybe universal inverter. Anyway my motif is going to be fixed.

No is not an option.

In theory i think it would be possible to get a video out signal out of the motif. But if you want this, maybe a Tyros would be a better option?

Greetings Mark.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2011 @ 02:42 PM
muzikoloog
Joined  01-15-2003

Hi,

First i repaired the old lcd screen. I placed it in the motif and the screen + ccfl lamp worked. So the inverter works. It’s very difficult to keep everything dust and scratch free. I prefered to built in the newly ordered screen next. Everything works except........ the brightness control does not work.
Damn.

I did not check if it worked on the old fixed screen. I only checked if the ccfl was working on that screen.

A question to 5pindin. Do you have any ideas on how to check and on what connector the brightness control signal can be measured?

Thanks ahead.

Greetings Mark.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2011 @ 04:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muzikoloog - 08 January 2011 02:42 PM

[...] Everything works except........ the brightness control does not work.
Damn. [...]
A question to 5pindin. Do you have any ideas on how to check and on what connector the brightness control signal can be measured?

By “brightness”, I assume you are referring to the contrast adjustment on the rear panel of the XS.

I know that the display is 320x240 pixel 5.7” color with CCFL backlight, but not the specific pinout. Can you provide the manufacturer and part number for both the original and replacement panels? If so, I might be able to determine what can be done.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2011 @ 07:09 PM
muzikoloog
Joined  01-15-2003

Hi,

Thanks for the quick respons 5pindin. I checked all the connectors again, disconnected and connected them again. and...............................................................yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I’m back in business. It works perfectly. Even better than the original screen. The colors are much more sparkling and the brightness control on the back has a much wider range then before. I am very happy.

I want to thank you all for the input and technical support.
Special thanks go to 5pindin.

It was a nice technical challenge.

I will be on this forum more often from now on. It’s a great community.

If i can help anyone with some technical issues, just let me know.

Greetings Muzikoloog (Mark) from the Netherlands.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 01:09 AM
CrocAUS
Total Posts:  421
Joined  03-04-2009

great news, i was lurking in this thread from the start and it good to see happy ending (get your mind out of the gutter)

one question, how did you fix brightness issue?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 02:15 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Congratulations, Mark!

Thanks for posting your success story. I’ll make note that the Kyocera KCG057QV1DB-G77 is a good choice for display panel replacement if needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 03:52 AM
CrocAUS
Total Posts:  421
Joined  03-04-2009

i’m considering changing the screen just to get better viewing angles, can you comment on difference in quality of that new screen vs orginal motif screen?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 11:00 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
CrocAUS - 09 January 2011 03:52 AM

i’m considering changing the screen just to get better viewing angles, can you comment on difference in quality of that new screen vs orginal motif screen?

Yes, I would also appreciate having Mark’s comments.

The viewing angle specs for the particular Kyocera display are: vertical 135 degrees, horizontal 110 degrees. Some QVGA (320x240) panels have as little as half of that viewing angle in the vertical plane. Another spec that can be important in making a choice is contrast ratio, and response time might be a concern for some users.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 4