mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help!  basic use of motif xs"

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 03:50 AM
mrc166
Total Posts:  17
Joined  12-09-2010

I bought a motif xs 2 weeks ago and I can’t figure out how to successfully create a basic performance.  Strangely, I figured out recording songs & patterns but all I want right now is to play along to a drum pattern (not using the pre-set performances).  I watched the cryptic video, read the performance mode chapters in the book.  What am I missing here?  I’m extremely frustrated and am about to return this thing and never buy a yamaha again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 04:35 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

So you can’t read.
Funny, many many people who’s native language is not English
understand the manual (in English) and get it done.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 05:09 AM
mrc166
Joined  12-09-2010

Among a few other settings, it was the accent velocity threshold (page 157) that was mainly messing me up.  Guess I can look forward to learning more of this kind of gritty stuff for a while.  Thanks for your positive offer to help though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 05:14 AM
cowboys1
Total Posts:  11
Joined  05-03-2010

Why would you get angry at a company who supply you with video on how to do something and a book on how to do it plus a phone call away if you have problems so i think you should do like MJ and check with the man in the mirror not to mention the brakedowns of things on YouTube man PLEASE!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 10:51 AM
EMANALPHA
Total Posts:  117
Joined  01-11-2008

Don’t get frustrated dude it takes time to get accustom to the many features of the motif XS, XF that’s the beauty of it. I go into pattern get and empty pattern. then I get a drum kit first pressing category search I enjoy the R&B;2 kit. I press enter and that is my first voice/1.
I press record usually setting tempo to 55 for slow songs and 100 for upbeat tempo songs. I record a 2-3 measure pattern.you are making your own beat/style of drums. Once that is recorded, I pick a EP sound I start with Max Tine. I press the number 2 guess what thats my second selection in the pattern mode. I instantly have a pattern I play over the the beat and sound!!! I have a few patterns set up like this when I don’t have a drummer or want a particular beat during prayer in a church service ETC. I name each pattern using such names as slowdrag, shout, ballad, Etc. I do this alot in pattern mode you can do the same thing in perfomance mode but that’s another issue. Remember you have to save your work to a usb/external hard drive. when you load other samples your creation will be erased. rename it and save it giving it a name like patterns_xs. your creations will be there and you can load your creations from the usb. All Good.

Good luck! and it takes time dude your new to the board. I am still learning after about three years with the boards. you will figure it out!!!!! Again that’s the beauty of it!!!!! Enjoy the adventure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 02:42 PM
dgarvich
Total Posts:  125
Joined  02-15-2009

Wow guys… don’t be mean to the new blood!  You can point out the videos and stuff in a nice way. :P

I second what EMANALPHA said, the XS is a functionality beast and you’ll have to get used to working within it to bend it to your will.  Once you get things figured out, though, it’s easy to get some really, really complex things done really, really quickly… so it’s worth it, stick in there!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2010 @ 03:52 AM
mrc166
Joined  12-09-2010

Thanks, dgarvich & EMANALPHA that was great help (and encouragement).  It’s making more sense now, I think I needed the kick-start.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2010 @ 12:00 PM
summers
Total Posts:  190
Joined  05-22-2007

mrc166, I understand your difficulty. I am not a brain surgeon, nor am I a nuclear physicist, but I am not nearly a dummy.  I have trouble with the manual sometimes as well. You have to focus, concentrate and almost trial and error apply. If you don’t really follow what the manual says, do what you think it says. I found that once you get really into keyboard processes in general, the instructions become clearer. Certainly as you become more familiar with your new purchase, they will. I must admit, though, I am mostly a tweak fiddle and play person, going into the manual only as far as needed for my purpose.  There are some people who post in this forum who are super knowledgeable and who will gladly help you. Good luck with you new unit.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Symphonic_XStrings
Next Topic:

REAL TIME EXPORT ››