mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Wavelab 7 64bit?"

Posted on: December 15, 2010 @ 02:25 PM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

I’ve just got Wavelab 7 Essential and am loading it on my Windows 7 64bit pc.

I note that there appears to be only one version - 32 bit, and it asks me to load into Program Files (x86) i.e. where 32 bit aps are. 

Is Wavelab 7 only 32 bit with no 64 bit version?

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2010 @ 05:11 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I believe so… at least according to the brochure…

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/wavelab/specs_downloads.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2010 @ 06:56 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Personally, I’m not so sure “Essential” is, but I’m also not familiar at all with that version. WL7 and WL7 Elements are now the two main versions of WaveLab, and information on Essentials is quite scarce.

I can tell you that WL6 Essential was NOT 64 bit ("WaveLab Essential 6 on Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) as a 32-bit application”). AND WL7 “Essentials” is also only 32 bit in XP according to the Steinberg specs:
“Minimum System Requirements:
Windows: Windows XP with SP3 (32-bit only), Windows Vista with SP1, Windows 7; 2GHz CPU; 1024MB RAM; Windows MME compatible audio hardware.”

I suggest that if you aren’t seeing a 64 bit .dll then there may not be one. To be certain though, I strongly suggest that you post here at the new Steinberg.net where Phillipe can provide a definitive answer for you...........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2010 @ 09:14 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

Thanks, I really thought it was 64 bit (and I thought it only worked on Windows 7). I would think that as a new release, and bearing in mind Cubase 5 is 64 bit, then W7 (even Esssentials) would be too. Certainly, unlike Cubase, there does not seem to be options when you install. I’ll post on the Steinberg forum and see what happens.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2010 @ 11:09 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Peter,
The new versions of WaveLab7 (full and Elements) do “work” sometimes on Vista, but they are “not supported” on any PC o/s except Windows 7. WL7 is designed for Windows 7. The difficulty lies not with WL7 or WL7 Elements, which BM suggests are 64 bit, (I’m not certain they are) but rather what they give you with the “Essentials” version you mention. As I said, information on Essentials is very sketchy. All I’m finding 99% of the time are references to WaveLab 7 and WaveLab 7 Elements, even at the Steinberg sites.

For example, go here:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/wavelab.html
A WaveLab 7 “Essential” product is not even shown. Where did you buy it??

I found one reference on a forum to “Essentials” and Windows 64 bit, but there was no mention of whether Essentials itself was 64 bit. That’s why I suggest you post on the WL forum, because Phillipe, the developer, will be able to provide the definitive answer for that product. Cheers.....frank

PS: The way the Steinberg forums now work has changed, as you’ll see, so you need to set up an account first at My Steinberg, if you don’t already have one. One User name and one password are now all that are required to get you into My Steinberg and the various Steinberg forums. The old Cubase.net forums will be archived and read only in the near future, but aren’t accessible today.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 02:53 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

Thanks Frank, I’ve posted up on Steinberg.net, and I’ll let this forum know the answer in case anyone else has the same query.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 09:07 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Peter, are you absolutely sure you purchased something called “WaveLab 7 Essential” and not “WaveLab 7 Elements”?? I can’t find any proof of a 7 version called “Essential” anywhere. Another producer (with whom I work) and I were chatting about this as well, and we aren’t really convinced that any of the versions are 64 bit, but again both of us are on Mac systems, so we can’t verify that for you. Hopefully you will find your answer on the Wavelab forum, but personally I remain doubtful that whatever you have is 64 bit. Perhaps Bad Mister has information that I don’t. Anyway, please post your findings here if you get a response from Phillipe, but something isn’t right about this. Cheerio............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2010 @ 11:05 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you read my post, I’m saying they are 32-bit. The question was

Is Wavelab 7 only 32 bit with no 64 bit version?
My answer was, “I believe so.” Which means I believe it is only 32-bit, with NO 64-bit Version.... yikes… separated by a common language!!! :)

R.I.F. (reading is fundamental)… the brochure clearly says 32-bit!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2010 @ 02:59 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

:) On the other hand, your response to Peter’s first message did not include a quote from that post, so perhaps it was not entirely clear to everyone exactly what part of his message you were referring to? Instead of just “I believe so…” perhaps “I believe they are only 32 bit applications” might have been clearer?? No offence; you certainly don’t need any lessons in offering clear explanations, but also sometimes we think we’ve transmitted what we intended (and about what), only to discover it hasn’t been received as intended by others. I know I’ve certainly done that more than once. :) Obviously, as I indicated from my posts above, brochure or not, I too am fairly certain they are indeed only 32 bit, and that NONE of the WL products are 64 bit applications. Nor do I believe WaveLab needs to be 64 bit. But what I suggest is also important here though is to determine if there even is a WaveLab 7 “Essentials”. Otherwise this whole discussion is based on a misunderstanding. I’ve never heard of it (have you??), and I can only find info for the full version and Elements. That, and not whether WL products have a 64 bit version (both you and I and your brochure suggest they do not), is the real mystery here to me.

One other comment too. The brochure to which you refer does not mention Peter’s Cubase “Essentials” either, so it doesn’t answer his question about Essentials 7 directly. He still could have had a question even if he had looked at it...which I’m sure he did. So perhaps some might suggest that your “RIF” comment might not be applicable here??.................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2010 @ 07:42 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

First of all - apologies, I of course meant Wavelab 7 Elements.  It’s confusing, because the “Iower” version of Wavelab 6 is call Essentials, as it is with Cubase.

Anyway, the answer from the Steinberg forum is confirmation of your thoughts, that there is only a 32 bit version.

Just as a point, this is the text in the brochure that made me think it could be 64 bit, but obviously I have not understood the issue correctly :
“Its maximum sample rate of 384 kHz, internal 64-bit floating-point processing as well as the legendary UV22HR dithering plug-in leave no room for compromise.”

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2010 @ 03:18 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

:) Another “ah-ha” moment here, Peter! :) Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for posting the information/confirmation. I tried to access the WaveLab forum myself last evening, but it was producing error messages and time outs, so I quit trying. Will pop over there later today if I can and have a look at the response(s) you received.
I agree that the brochure only says so much. Also don’t confuse 64 bit “floating point” with a 64 bit application (not the same thing).

I also commented above on whether there was really a need for WaveLab to be 64 bit, and personally I’m not convinced that it needs to be to work well. It simply doesn’t have the same requirements as, for example, a DAW like Cubase does. Anyway, now we can strike the phrase “WaveLab 7 Essentials” from our vocabulary! :) Cheers...............frank

[ Ignore ]