mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS Performances of Famous Songs / Sounds"

Page 4 of 5
Posted on: May 11, 2012 @ 01:12 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
Bad_Mister - 11 May 2012 09:12 AM

No, I think it is very interesting when people are inspired by one of the example PERFORMANCES.

Sure. And maybe Yamaha feels that it’s too much of a “temptation” to see a sound only one way if you knew what it was based on. But I think its presumptuous to assume that everyone is interested in using Performances as inspiration, and that a good number of people wouldn’t find it more useful to know what the source was. As I said, it could be info provided online, so it wouldn’t hit someone in the face when they read the manual, if you wanted to give them the “chance” to hear the sounds with “fresh ears” first. (Though come to think of it, maybe the manual is the best place to put it, because then you could be almost sure that no one would ever read it. ;-) )

Also, it could be presented as a list of songs each with their suggested patches, rather than a list of the patches in numerical order followed by which song inspired them. It’s a minor difference, but in practice, I think that would go a long way toward helping people find the “right” patch for a song they’re looking for, without the “temptation” of hitting the INC button and trying out each patch with a predefined song, which would be the approach that could unnecessarily put blinders on the player.

if you know you are going to do “Isn’t She Lovely” - and you overwrote “Urban Shuffle"… you did so because you really didn’t know the what the song sounds like anyways. :-)

I think you missed my point… You might not have known that your band was going to add “Isn’t She Lovely” when you deleted the patch. Who is going to remember, perhaps months later, “hey, one of those patches I deleted, that kinda sounded like Isn’t She Lovely!”

Suggestion: If you want the exact song, go download the MIDI file. As soon as a song is available as sheet music, Yamaha MusicSoft, usually has it as a MIDI file. Get on the mailing list… Some are fashioned as ‘sound alike’ files

That may have been directed at someone else, but personally, I wasn’t talking about MIDI arrangements really, but rather using the song references just as a “shortcut” for easily finding the sounds you’d likely want to use for a song. Not to play any of the actual parts, which is where a MIDI file comes in.

We are thinking about expanding things with a “Motif/MOX Members Only Group” - this could be one of the areas that members would/could persue: What Voice to use or how to edit a Voice to recreate a specific sound from a specific recording… that would be a perfect topic.

I hope you do that, because really, a repository of info like that is pretty much exactly what I’m suggesting! And building on that by allowing users to help each other with their own tweaks is even better. I would just add that, to the extent that Yamaha folk already know the sounds certain patches are based on, why keep it a secret? I mean, what’s the logic to saying it’s fine if a user posts that Patch X is a great match for song Y, but not if Yamaha posts it? Unless, as 5pinDIN suggested, there is some legal issue.

But also, as for making it a “members only” group, I’m not sure the distinction you’re making… If by chance you mean someone would have to register with a serial number showing ownership of a Motif/MOX or some such, well, it would be fine for me, but again I’d suggest that making the info available to anyone to peruse might actually prompt a new owner to want to buy a Motif/MOX in the first place. ("Hey, here’s the setup information for a bunch of songs we play all the time, what a time saver!")

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 11:49 AM
SjaakMotifXF8
Total Posts:  20
Joined  01-06-2013

And what about performance Talk Show Band at USR1 H13 on the XF, that’s based on Time Is Tight of Booker T. & The MG’s.

Pastoral USR1 H14 Pastorale - Secret Garden
Dreamscape USR2 A03 Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel
Semi Finale USR2 B03 Evita - Don’t cry for Me Argentina - Madonna
2 Guitars for Mrs. R. USR2 H08 Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel
Orchestra Del Mar USR3 A06 Enola Gay - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
Let the Music Play USR3 A07 Listen to the Music - The Doobie Brothers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2013 @ 03:52 AM
SjaakMotifXF8
Joined  01-06-2013

Portable, USR3 E11
Who’ll stop the rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 11:21 PM
SjaakMotifXF8
Joined  01-06-2013

Far Away from Home, USR4 A16
I’ll Find My Way Home - Jon And Vangelis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 10:03 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

bump.

Totally lined up with “anotherscott“‘s comments and wish Bad_Mister’s musing re setting up “Motif/MOX Members Only Group” would happen.

I am (very) slowly setting up a site (blog, wiki, forum, downloads) to support a community that wants to share musical discoveries (e.g. Performance “tweaks” aligned with cover songs, Cubase Project)/Yamaha Motif/MOX Mix, links to YouTube performances).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 09:59 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007
Bad_Mister - 27 August 2011 10:14 AM

And that was the original discussion - does knowing what song a PERFORMANCE is loosely based-on help or inhibit someone from using the data creatively. We think once you know “Dark Continent” is based on Toto’s Africa, you cannot hear anything else when you play it - and until it is suggested to you, you might have used it to write an entirely original song of your own (oblivious to the Toto song). Had someone told you in advance it is loosely based-on “Africa” you might not have used that Performance at all… thinking you can’t play anything else with it (but au contraire, mon frere)

So the list of source material is not published and we think that this is the right thing to do, since the purpose of the data is for you to combine in unique ways to make YOUR OWN SONG creations. If you hear the source song, okay, you hear the source song, if you don’t, you might just write your own HIT song inspired by the PERFORMANCE - it is not designed so you can play the source song, after all, but so that you can use the combination of arps in a unique fashion to create YOUR OWN SONG.

And if you don’t hear it, don’t worry… write a different song with it!!!

Well said, Phil!  I totally agree!  When I first got my Motif it was IMMEDIATELY obvious to me that a lot of the performance patches were based on certain hits by well known artists. I could have cared less. I wasn’t trying to write another “Jump” or “Africa”.  I get an idea in my head and I want to find a groove for it...I start with either a PERF patch or an arp’d voice.  Usually it will suggest a direction for me to take the idea.  And off I go from there.  By the time I add in stuff from my VI’s and all the stuff I have loaded in Pro Tools, whatever the original inspiration was for a particular PERF patch is long gone! 

In fact, I’ve only used the actual PERF’s as is, meaning with no arp or voice changes in the patch, maybe once, perhaps twice.  I recombine, re-arp, edit the arps, or whatever to get the groove.  The PERF patches help jump start the process, so instead of beginning at square 1, I’m maybe at square 5 or 6.  Saves a bit of time, but also inspires new directions!

Its what I have always loved about the Motif XS!  I’ve played the Rolands, the Korgs...not even close in my book!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 10:01 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007
SjaakMotifXF8 - 07 November 2013 11:21 PM

Far Away from Home, USR4 A16
I’ll Find My Way Home - Jon And Vangelis

Funny you should mention this one.  Its one of my favs!  I’ve actually been writing a song based on it called, oddly enough “Far Away From Home”.  In fact, come to think of it, I’m so uncreative when it comes to song titles, I often just call them whatever the PERF patch was that inspired the song!  Yeah, unoriginal, I know...but there it is!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 08:54 AM
caludaj
Total Posts:  10
Joined  04-12-2015

Can someone tell me where the Performance Patch for Pink Floyd’s “Time” can be found. I have the Motif XS and the Motif Rack.
Thanks so much in advance for the help!
Joe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 09:12 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
caludaj - 13 April 2015 08:54 AM

Can someone tell me where the Performance Patch for Pink Floyd’s “Time” can be found. I have the Motif XS and the Motif Rack.
Thanks so much in advance for the help!
Joe

Welcome to the forum. If you’re referring to the factory Performance suggested earlier in this thread…

pachanga - 23 November 2010 03:45 PM

2. Prog Rocker (Time by Pink Floyd) is User 2 B07

Of course, if you’ve overwritten the factory XS Performances, then Prog Rocker might not be there, but it could be reloaded.

For the Rack XS, the Prog Rocker Multi is located at Preset 2 #23.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 09:26 AM
caludaj
Joined  04-12-2015

Thank you! I really appreciate the reply. I may have overwritten the Motif XS Data but should still have it in the Rack.
I will Check and let you know.
If I need to reload the original patch data is that available on the Yamaha Website?
Thanks again.
Joe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 10:26 AM
caludaj
Joined  04-12-2015

I checked the Motif Rack Data List and it shows something else at Pre 2 #23 (B 07).
It shows a Patch called J-Pop.
Am I looking in the wrong place?
Thanks again for all the help.
Joe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 10:31 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
caludaj - 13 April 2015 09:26 AM

Thank you! I really appreciate the reply. I may have overwritten the Motif XS Data but should still have it in the Rack.
I will Check and let you know.
If I need to reload the original patch data is that available on the Yamaha Website?
Thanks again.
Joe

The original factory data can be restored by doing a factory reset. I’d suggest that you first save an “All” file of your current data, and then do the reset. Next, immediately save another “All” file, so that you have a copy of what’s in a “factory fresh” XS - name it something like “Factory” so you’ll be able to easily recognize it. You can then reload the “All” file that contains your own data, and finally load just the Prog Rocker Performance to a User location of your choice.

Keeping “Factory.X0A” (or whatever you name it) handy makes it easy to reload whatever/whenever you might want something from the factory data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 10:34 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
caludaj - 13 April 2015 10:26 AM

I checked the Motif Rack Data List and it shows something else at Pre 2 #23 (B 07).
It shows a Patch called J-Pop.
Am I looking in the wrong place?
Thanks again for all the help.
Joe

Yes, you’re looking in the wrong place.

Prog Rocker is a Multi, not a Voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 10:56 AM
caludaj
Joined  04-12-2015

Makes sense.  So I select Multi Mode and then go to Pre 2 #23? I have never used Multi Mode, only Voice Mode so this is a new animal to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 10:56 AM
caludaj
Joined  04-12-2015

Makes sense.  So I select Multi Mode and then go to Pre 2 #23? I have never used Multi Mode, only Voice Mode so this is a new animal to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 4 of 5