mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Control XS RACK each track volume in MULTI Mode with SL Zero…??? Please Help"

Posted on: November 05, 2010 @ 04:24 AM
hanny_ep
Total Posts:  30
Joined  04-30-2006

Guys...I just bought XS Rack but I’m very frustrated with this...I wanna to control volume (CC#7) Piano + Strings independently in multi mode, so strings channel i can increase or decrease without changing piano volume ....and how to control switch on/off (mute) each track just like in motif XS on perform mode...please help me with this.....your help is really appreciated

note:

Layer 1-4 switch on or off ???
MIDI channel each track must be the same or different ???
MSB/LSB number is must to set on 63 and 68 to control the volume each track ???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 05, 2010 @ 02:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I wanna to control volume (CC#7) Piano + Strings independently in multi mode

First, your question is not totally clear - and you don’t mention what you are using as a controller. We get you are not getting what you want to happen, that much is clear. With what you have given us, here’s what we can tell you:

If you are in MULTI mode, typically all PARTS are on separate MIDI channels.
PART 1 = MIDI channel 1
PART 2 = MIDI channel 2
PART 3 = MIDI channel 3
and so on.

This is typical for use with an external sequencer, or a Keyboard controller set to transmit on multiple MIDI channels.

cc007 Channel Volume is a CONTROL CHANGE message that is channel specific (as the name suggests). So when you are transmitting cc007 on MIDI channel 1, all sounds and connected devices on MIDI channel 1 will move to the same VOLUME value as you are sending. That is just basic MIDI. The message is CHANNEL-wide… every receiving module on Channel 1 must respond (unless you filter the message).

If you are playing multiple sounds on a MIDI channel Control Change 7 will cause all sounds on that MIDI channel to change together.

If you are sending from a keyboard controller (we are going to assume you are) you can set the Piano sound on MIDI channel 1, the String sound on MIDI channel 2, and you can address them independently. For example, if you have a keyboard (like the Motif-series) with MASTER CONTROLLER functions, you could easily set MASTER mode to transmit on two separate ZONES, and each ZONE would have its own CS (Control Slider) for its own MIDI channel.

You do not mention what your controller is and what its capabilities are.

… strings channel i can increase or decrease without changing piano volume ...

If your controller does not have such capabilities, you can still accomplish what you want by telling the Piano to ‘ignore’ VOLUME changes. That is, you can filter them out. Here’s how:
Press [EDIT]
Select the PART 1 or 2 that contains the PIANO sound
Press [ENTER]
Select ‘RCV SW’ (Receive Switch) > press [ENTER}
Use the down cursor to scroll down to the “VOL/EXPRESSION” parameter
Set this to OFF
Press [STORE] to store your changes.

Now when you send cc007 on a MIDI channel to both the Strings and the Piano, only the Strings will adjust in volume.

and how to control switch on/off (mute) each track just like in motif XS on perform mode

Without knowing your controller there’s no way we could tell you that… This is a rather unique and special feature of the Motif XS keyboard. I tend to doubt you will be successful in accomplishing this from an external controller (whatever it is).

Layer 1-4 switch on or off ???

This is up to you. When this is set to ON, the first four PARTS of the MULTI can be addressed on the unit’s Basic MIDI Receive Channel (which is set for VOICE mode)
You set this parameter in VOICE mode
Press UTILITY > select VOICE MIDI - usually this is set to CH 1.

and it will behave as if you were in PERFORMANCE mode on the Motif XS keyboard. You can assign arpeggiators (there are four) and you can have the tone generator emulate the keyboard version’s PERFORMANCE mode.

When set “LAYER 1-4 PARTS” to OFF this parameter means you are addressing the Motif-Rack XS on independent MIDI channels as set in the individual PART’s RECEIVE CHANNEL parameter.

MIDI channel each track must be the same or different ???

The PART’s MIDI channel parameter only applies when “Layer 1-4 PARTS” is set to OFF.

So when you turn “Layer 1-4 PART” = ON, the MIDI channel as set in the individual PART is completely ignored. You are receiving data on the (VOICE MIDI) Receive Channel assigned for the unit.

MSB/LSB number is must to set on 63 and 68 to control the volume each track ???

The MSB/LSB 63/68 allows the Program Change message that follows, to address the MULTI, instead of an individual MIDI channel within that MULTI. This message must be sent on the unit’s “VOICE MIDI” channel

So if you wanted to change from MULTI 001 to MULTI 002, you would send a PROGRAM CHANGE messages following the MSB/LSB of 63/68 - this message would need to be sent on the “VOICE MIDI” Receive Channel. (CH1)

An MSB/LSB of 63/01 followed by a Program Change, for example, sent on MIDI channel 1, would change PART 1 of the MULTI.

While MSB/LSB of 63/68 followed by a Program Change send on MIDI Channel 1, would change the entire MULTI and select an entirely new setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2010 @ 01:01 AM
hanny_ep
Joined  04-30-2006

Thanks a lot Bad_Mister for detail tutorial...really appreciated :)My controller is Novation Zero SL. Btw I already set the Piano sound on MIDI channel 1, the String sound on MIDI channel 2 but the sound can’t play together at the same time...If my Zero SL on channel 1, will play piano sound only and so on...if I layer part 1-4 switch on, that will control all part...so what should I do Bad_Mister...thanks in advance

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2010 @ 12:37 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

See my second answer above… I covered that situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2010 @ 02:00 PM
hanny_ep
Joined  04-30-2006
Bad_Mister - 06 November 2010 12:37 PM

See my second answer above… I covered that situation.

YESS!!! I Got It...!! I activated Keyboard Zone part 1-4 on Novation Zero SL and made it work just like in Motif XS to control volume independently…

Hopefully will come in the future “Mute Function” for each track just like keyboard version so I can safe a polyphony if I don’t use one of the track rather than to decrease the volume on that channel.

People like you will make me still loyal to Yamaha Product....:) Thanks again Bad_Mister :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2010 @ 02:39 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

You’re welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2010 @ 07:29 AM
dust_bg
Total Posts:  32
Joined  02-22-2010

Hi Bad_Mister,
I got same problem - I want to switch on/off voices(arpeggios) in multi mode.

And here are the details:

If I use Layer 1-4 switched on, then I can play four voices as it should. But when I send CC 90 it stops all arpeggios.

If i set Layer 1-4 switch off, then I can control each channel with CC 90, but can play only arpeggios and voice on channel 1.

My controller is AKAI MPK61.

Situation is the same if I try to change volume.
What can i do?

Your help is really appreciated

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2010 @ 12:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t really see how your problem is the same, as you are dealing with turning arpeggios on and off. On the Motif XS keyboard you have front panel buttons called PERFORMANCE CONTROL. These allow the player to select a PART for real time control, to individually turn arpeggios ON/OFF, mute the audio coming from a PART, and to turn ARP Hold ON/OFF.

We would doubt that this would be available from any external controller. I would have to do some testing - but it may actually be possible with System Exclusive. Next time I’m in my studio with the Rack XS I can test this out. If you don’t see a follow up in a few days, please repost in a separate thread (it really is a separate issue).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2010 @ 01:48 PM
dust_bg
Total Posts:  32
Joined  02-22-2010

I think the problem is the same because if i found a way to change volume on each channel - I’ll find a way to switch on and off arpeggios on each channel.

Yes, hanny_ep talks about two channels and I’m talking about 4, if this makes problem different - I’ll post it on new thread.

Anyway it will be handy to know how to achieve functionality of Motif XS keyboard with Motif XS Rack + external controller. I’m talking about changing volumes on each channel, start/stop arpeggios on each channel, or just mute channel(s) in MULTI mode. As I said, I can do that when I set Layer 1-4 switch to OFF, but in this case I can play voice on one channel at time.

Thanks again for your attention!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ FC3 and Rack XS
Next Topic:

So I done it ››