mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading Library to Flash"

Posted on: October 12, 2010 @ 11:27 PM
vanillawafer
Total Posts:  126
Joined  07-01-2007

Ok, this is really confusing and can’t find much information on it.  I bought the k-sounds C7 library, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get this thing loaded to my 1GB flash board.  The library is broken into two files a .X0A and a .X0W I would like to load this without loading it as an all file and wiping out all of my settings.  I believe the .X0W was loaded to my flash board because it took about 15 minutes :) Now I just can’t figure out how to get the Voices to find the samples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2010 @ 12:19 AM
macalister
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-13-2010
vanillawafer - 12 October 2010 11:27 PM

Ok, this is really confusing and can’t find much information on it.  I bought the k-sounds C7 library, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get this thing loaded to my 1GB flash board.  The library is broken into two files a .X0A and a .X0W I would like to load this without loading it as an all file and wiping out all of my settings.  I believe the .X0W was loaded to my flash board because it took about 15 minutes :) Now I just can’t figure out how to get the Voices to find the samples.

I hope this will guide a little bit, take a look:

*Keep in mind that the internal Flash memory of the MOTIF XF
cannot be accessed from a computer via the LAN network.
Only the data saved to a USB storage device connected to the
MOTIF XF can be accessed from a computer via the LAN
network. If you want to share files between the MOTIF XF and
a computer, save the data stored in internal Flash memory to
an external USB storage device.

*Because User Memory to which the Voice is stored is Flash
Memory, the edited and stored Voice will not be erased even
if the power is turned off. You need not worry about losing
your stored data. The Voice Store operation, however, will
overwrite the Voice data already stored to the destination
Voice number. For this reason, important data should always
be backed up to a separate USB storage device or to a
computer connected via network to the MOTIF XF .

*Wave Bank (Waveform Bank)
Determines the Waveform Bank assigned to the Element.
You can select the Bank from PRE, USR, FL1 and FL2.
PRE (Preset Bank) includes the preset Waveforms while
USR (User Bank), FL1 (Bank stored at slot 1 of the optional
Flash Memory Expansion Module) and FL2 (Bank stored at
slot 2 of the optional Flash Memory Expansion Module)
include the User Waveforms created based on the samples
recorded in the Sampling mode. FL1 and FL2 are available
only when the optional Flash Memory Expansion Module
FL512M/FL1024M has been installed.
Settings: PRE, USR, FL1, FL2

*Copy to Flash Memory This Job copies the Sample data on SDRAM to the optional Flash Memory Expansion Module
(FL512M/FL1024M) as a Waveform.

*Warning!
Never turn off the power during the Optimize operation, which may
require far more than ten seconds to finish. Doing so will erase and
clear the data on the Flash Memory Expansion Module.

*Warning!

The Factory Set operation will erase all the data you’ve created and
stored to User Memory, including the Waveform data on the
optional Flash Memory Expansion Module FL512M/FL1024M (if
installed). To prevent data loss, be sure to save all important data
to a USB storage device or to a computer connected to the same
network as the MOTIF XF (page 241) before executing the Factory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2010 @ 01:11 AM
vanillawafer
Joined  07-01-2007

Thanks macalister, I appreciate the help.  I did read this in the manual, but it doesn’t really tell me much.

I’m trying to load the samples to the flash board and the voices to User Bank 3.

I think I got the voices on user bank 3 and the samples to the flash board, but the voices don’t appear to be pointing to the samples.  I really hope I don’t have to update each voice to point at the samples on the flash board, this would be a real pain!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2010 @ 01:18 AM
macalister
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-13-2010
vanillawafer - 13 October 2010 01:11 AM

Thanks macalister, I appreciate the help.  I did read this in the manual, but it doesn’t really tell me much.

I’m trying to load the samples to the flash board and the voices to User Bank 3.

I think I got the voices on user bank 3 and the samples to the flash board, but the voices don’t appear to be pointing to the samples.  I really hope I don’t have to update each voice to point at the samples on the flash board, this would be a real pain!

Can you see the samples in Flash 1?,OK so now you only have to assing those samples into the voice and re-save the patch to the preset location user whatever, so everytime you recall that preset instantly will assign the sample to that sounds like the factory’s sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2010 @ 05:33 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The library is broken into two files a .X0A and a .X0W I would like to load this without loading it as an all file and wiping out all of my settings.  I believe the .X0W was loaded to my flash board because it took about 15 minutes :) Now I just can’t figure out how to get the Voices to find the samples.

You were provided a Library for the XF with two separate Files??? Am I to understand that you were given an ALL data file (presumably without samples)??? and an ALL Waveform file? Separately. No wonder the XF cannot find the data.

(Yikes!)

I’ll have to triple check but that doesn’t sound like it is data that was prepared for the Motif XF. Data for the Motif XF should be provided in a single ALL data file (or in an ALL VOICE) that contains both the Voices and the samples… a proper ALL data file. This would allow you to do with it, what you want to.

Sounds like this Library is not assembled properly for loading into the Motif XF. The XF is different from the XS in this regard (this is not just hype) there are fundamental differences in how the data is handled.

A sample library for the XS saved as an ALL data (.X0A) or as an ALL VOICE (.X0V) normally contains the Voices and the samples… these will be 100% compatible with the new Motif XF… you can take the data and target the samples to the FL board that you require, and you can load the VOICE data to the internal memory. And all will work fine.

But if the ALL data file contains no samples, I don’t believe manually reassembling the data from two separate files will work for you… again I’ll have to triple check. (Why it was saved this way is a mystery to me (any way)).

Please can you verify what the files are named and their sizes.

We (Yamaha) will see if we cannot have this situation rectified for you. There is no reason why you should have to fix data in a Library you purchased… that is what the programmer is supposed to do.

Please let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2010 @ 08:22 PM
vanillawafer
Joined  07-01-2007

Thanks BM,
The library is KSounds Signature Piano.

The instructions say load “KSSP_LRG.XOA” as an all file type.  Next, user your Motif XS to load “KSSP_LRG.XOW” as an all waveform file.  This file must be loaded last.

Now, this is apparently an XS library, but I was under the impression the XS library would work with the XF.

Thanks for the help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2010 @ 10:33 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, they are… if they are saved properly for the XF. If the .X0A file (which you know is called an ALL data file - it is called this because it contains all of the data, in this case this refers to the Voices, the samples and how that data is used in the instrument). The only way to a make an ALL data not work in an XF is purposefully leave out some of the data.

This is apparently what this particular LIBRARY does. If the ALL data file does not contain the sample data, you cannot direct it where you want it when you attempt to load it to a Motif XF.

By separating the data into an ALL data file and an ALL WAVEFORM file (which is apparently what was done with this Library) an XS owner (who has only one option when it comes to loading the data, volatile DIMMs) could avoid duplicating waveforms in memory.

It is the preparation of the ALL data file that apparently is the issue. It does not contain “all” of the data. Which means when loaded by an XF owner will require that YOU manually re-point the data. The XF can’t because the ALL data file (unfortunately) does not contain ALL of the data.

It is an easy fix for all Sample Library authors - simply provide the XS all of the data in an ALL data format. Doing so will allow the XF customer to point the VOICE data to the internal USER banks they want, and send the Waveforms and Samples to the target memory (SDRAM, FL1 or FL2) that they want to house that data. And - this is the important point: the XF will automatically repoint the VOICE data to the correct target locations.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2010 @ 12:11 PM
vanillawafer
Joined  07-01-2007

Thanks, I will contact KSounds and see if they can help me by providing the correct ALL file.

-Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2010 @ 12:26 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

I’ve sent an email to Kevin Spargo, head of K Sounds, about this. He
originally developed his pianos for the Motif ES and split them into separate AllVoice and AllWaveform files to give customers a choice of
loading “smaller” or “larger” pianos. I’ve suggested that he combine
his piano libraries into single ALL files.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ new XF voices/performances?
Next Topic:

Motif XF FW16e + MR816 Monitoring W/O PC ››