mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF Patterns to DAW Works Well, BUT Cannot Playback?"

Posted on: September 26, 2010 @ 07:50 PM
LYO
Total Posts:  172
Joined  07-08-2008

New owner and love the XF, but I am having a great deal of trouble recording to daw and playing back.

Yamaha made it a no brainer with Direct Recording to Pattern/Song. I have successfully recorded very simple patterns into A, B, C. and then switched to Quick Setup 2, (Recording internal sequencer to computer) This also worked well and have 4 individual tracks with midi data on each from the A,B,C patterns in the daw.

I simply cannot get the tracks to play back correctly. I have tried all Quick Setups with no luck at all. I’ve been at it for 5 days and feel everything I’ve learned in the past 25+ years is not coming into play here. I’m afraid that I am going to wear out the Utility and Quick Setup buttons. Truly..

Here is what I am experiencing on playback..
From Pattern mode and synced to the daw, If I hit play in my daw the internal sequencer of the XF starts playing and so do the tracks. I have turned Local on and off, changed the Track Internal, Arp midi on and off and all of the other selections, on, off in, out .. etc. with no luck. On on occaion I was able to hear tracks 2,3,4 but no channel 1 (Drums)

The variables of selections and choices are pretty much endless and daunting.
I need help getting this to happen. I have read over and over these excellent articles with no avail:

Motif XS QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP

Motif XS Recording Arpeggios to an external sequencer

I cannot begin to tell you how much I would appreciate some clarity and guidance from some of the Yamaha Gurus that hang out here. Thanks everyone!

Lou

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2010 @ 09:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yamaha made it a no brainer with Direct Recording to Pattern/Song. I have successfully recorded very simple patterns into A, B, C. and then switched to Quick Setup 2, (Recording internal sequencer to computer) This also worked well and have 4 individual tracks with midi data on each from the A,B,C patterns in the daw.

Okay - so if this worked we are kind of scratching our heads at what is not working for you. Could be there is some missing information.

Here is what I am experiencing on playback..
From Pattern mode and synced to the daw, If I hit play in my daw the internal sequencer of the XF starts playing and so do the tracks. I have turned Local on and off, changed the Track Internal, Arp midi on and off and all of the other selections, on, off in, out .. etc. with no luck. On on occaion I was able to hear tracks 2,3,4 but no channel 1 (Drums)

SYNC During playback you will want to interrupt the sync option. There is no reason to have both the DAW and the Motif XF sequencer playback the data. Once you have recorded the data to your external DAW, you can break the SYNC function - so that only the DAW is in play.

Local ON and OFF has nothing to do with this procedure… it has to do with your keybed transmiting data to the internal tone engine or OUT via MIDI first. If you are playing back your DAW the Motif XF keybed (Local Control) has no bearing on what is happening at all. So turing LOCAL ON and OFF, is an activity, you can eliminate it from being either a cause or cure to your problem.

Changing the Track “Internal” parameter setting has to do with the Motif XF sequencer track transmitting out via MIDI or not and whether the Motif XF keys and sequencer communicate with the XF internal tone engine. If, as you say, you have sucessfully recorded to the XF sequencer and have successfully transferred the data to the DAW this has no bearing on the playback of the DAW either.

ARPEGGIO - ah, if arpeggios were involved there are a few things to consider. If you were working with arpeggios, you don’t give us specifics, or even if the arpeggio was involved this could have a bearing on the results. I’m going to guess that there was at least one arp involved. The PART or PARTS set to the ARPEGGIO, if involved, could be set to not respond to anything but the arpeggiator.

This involves a new parameter added in the Motif XF called “ARP PLAY ONLY”. What this does is, when a PART is assigned to play from the arpeggiator with this parameter set to ON - it will only playback in response to the arpeggiator not to your keys, it will not playback from your external sequencer either - only to the arpeggiator or the internal sequencer.

This parameters was added so when you stop the arpeggiator clock while performing, the VOICE with “ARP PLAY ONLY” will NOT sound from the key presses (This was an issue particular with Drum Kit voices. You’d stop the arpeggio and then, of course, drums would sound from the keys).

Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press the [1] button to view PART 1 parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE
Set the ARP PLAY ONLY parameter = OFF
For all PARTS, then STORE your MIXING setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2010 @ 10:32 PM
LYO
Total Posts:  172
Joined  07-08-2008

Hi, and thank you for your reply.

Yes, I am recording a Performance, with at least 2, 3, and 4 arps going at the same time.
I’m randomly picking one from a Performance bank and record to a few Patterns .. Then firing them off a into my daw. I thought this was the procedure, am I right? Or is there a better way?

After recording to my daw, and remaining in the Pattern mode on the XF, which Quick setup would you say is the correct one to switch to, for play back of the data from the daw?

I will try what you mention and really hope this will work for me. It sounds like it should. Is this documented somewhere in the manual for me to read?

Thank You and please be patient while I get this to work. I really want to start having some good productive fun. Thanks again for your attention and time.

ps..

During my operations, once or twice I have noticed that while trying to record a Performance to one track, it is also recording Control changes and Sysex. (Instead of multiple tracks, just one track with cc info that the k/b reads on playback) Is there a way that the XF on play back from the daw track can read this and reproduce my button pushes. For example: me changing from Arp 1 to Arp 2? I would much prefer this. I’ve worked this way in the past with a few Korg k/bs. It seems to me that if the XF is sending this cc data, it should be able to read it..
Lou

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XF 7
Next Topic:

Help a noob choose ››