mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Performance to DAW (XF 6, New user here)"

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 04:07 PM
LYO
Total Posts:  172
Joined  07-08-2008

Hello everyone, just received my XF 6 and love it.

I’m very accustomed to getting around and recording externally, but I have run into a bump and would appreciate some help with the Motif procedure..

Recording a Performance to daw, I put the XF in Quick setup #3. This turns off Local control. All sounds good, .. no doubling for the track. But then I notice that the sliders and knobs have no functionality at all. Turning Local control on returns their function. If I turn off the Arpeggio button then I hear doubling. Can I have Slider /Knob functionality with Local off ? (Quick Setup 3)

Also, recording form Performance to daw, is there a selection that will allow me to record Control changes .. for instance, changing arps, so that when I playback, the daw produces my arp change / button / slider moves?

Thank you in advance..  Lou

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 06:02 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Recording a PERFORMANCE to a DAW is quite a bit more complex than you have stated. First, we will state that the Motif XF has a special function called Direct PERFORMANCE Record that faciliates recording an XF Performance to its own sequencer.

What is actually going on must be understood before you attempt to record to an external DAW.

When you are in PERFORMANCE mode, you can press the RECORD button at target either a SONG (linear) or a PATTERN (looping section structures).

A PERFORMANCE can be as many as four PARTS and as many as four arpeggios - all under control of XF keyboard. YOu are basically transmitting to all of them simultaneously on a single MIDI channel. When you record to a sequencer you want to route each of the PARTS to it own dedicated track on its own separate MIDI channel.

This is all handled by the direct Performance Record function - and is a quite an innovation.

We highly recommend that you explore this function first. Then when you understand exactly what is going on you will be better prepared to record the same things to an external DAW. In fact, you may conclude that recording to the Motif XF sequencer with a PERFORMANCE is so simple, you might opt to do this, then simply transfer the data from the XF to the DAW by simply linking the two and doing a transfer.

Direct Performance Record explained in detail

Video Clip

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 10:49 PM
LYO
Total Posts:  172
Joined  07-08-2008

Thank you for the explanation and the video. I’m trying to get my head around something and hoping you can help clear the path for my moving forward.

Basically I’m more of a singer than a keyboard player, that’s why I was trying to record in the fashion. I like to sing as I am writing parts .. So .. recording from Direct Performance to say Patterns, Can I have my daw open while doing this, as it will provide live mic feed.

What Quick Setup # will allow me to do this and then when I’m ready to do the transfer.. what Quick setup? This will help me to at least see the path for my recording process. I’m not asking you to explain how to record, maybe just brief me from the Performance to daw..  Thank you Phil!

I have already purchased the World of Motif, does the Master Class have more on this procedure?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Organ sample for XS/XF
Next Topic:

The XF is Impressive - What To Do ››