mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Full Concert Grand in XF"

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 06:06 PM
Vocalchords
Total Posts:  59
Joined  03-23-2003

I played an XF last night and the Full Concert Grand sounds different (read as better)than it does on the XS.
Is this the same sample and was it reprogrammed somehow?
There was an XS right next to it and I kept going back and forth so I know it wasn’t my imagination.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 09:28 PM
johnb787
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-07-2010

Piano S6 how it sound?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 09:46 PM
GospelMusicians
Total Posts:  336
Joined  08-26-2010

It sounds Amazing. The only other piano that is close is on the Korg Oasys, but this piano is Amazing!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 10:26 PM
Vocalchords
Total Posts:  59
Joined  03-23-2003

The S-6 is the same piano as the S-90/70 XS with the same problems.
I have an S-70XS also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 10:52 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

The Voice is the same in the XS and XF , but the D/A convertors and analog circuits are different. As we said this is an audible difference between the XS and XF even with the exact same sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 11:53 PM
Funkster
Total Posts:  449
Joined  07-20-2008

Is the S700 sample that XS owners have what is the new Grand in the XF or is it different?

Given the same sound/waveform, output over mlan/fw/spdif, sound between XS and XF should be identical correct? (eg no analog circuits)

Funkster

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 01:46 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Had a chance to play the XF8 for a bit at the Local Guitar Center. Everything sounds better, and to me it is not hard to discern at all.  The XF really is the state of the art for these types of musical instruments. Hands downs, no questions, no equals. The pianos (both) were very, very good, but there seemed to be significant latency between voice selections. Could just be this in-store machine I guess.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 01:57 PM
coinstar
Total Posts:  74
Joined  05-13-2009
Yamaha_US - 03 September 2010 10:52 PM

The Voice is the same in the XS and XF , but the D/A convertors and analog circuits are different. As we said this is an audible difference between the XS and XF even with the exact same sounds.

can i understand from what you say that the XF and XS Have The same sounds no new and no improvment in quality

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 02:03 PM
Jive Talking Robot
Total Posts:  201
Joined  08-23-2010

The XF has all the XS sounds PLUS several new ones (and even more via their 500MB download).

The difference in audio quality that some are reporting is due to the better D/A conversion… i.e. the signal coming out of the XF is better, so while alot of the waveforms/elements are the same as the XS, they should technically sound better coming out of the box.

I have never A-B compared them nor do I know the XS 1/10th as well as many here, so I can’t add to the conversation as to if it actually sounds better, but Yamaha_US provided a technical reason for the better audio and it seems others have verified this w/ their own ears.

I hope that helps!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 02:24 PM
lexluthier53
Total Posts:  103
Joined  03-12-2009

I also spent some time last night with the new XF8 at the GC here in Nashville. The XF8 was sitting next to an XS8 so I was able to compare the two. The XF definately sounds better throughout all the voices. The sounds are more lush.
The keyboard on the XF8 also has a somewhat lighter feel, not quite so weighted as the XS8.
The newer piano voices are really great sounding.
The display is also nicer.
I do feel that there is still too much emphasis on Hip-Hop in the newer performances. I would have liked to see more offered for smooth and contemporary jazz.
As for upgrading, alas it’s not in my budget for now.
GC is having a 15% off sale through Labor Day up to $500 so you could pick one up for $3000
They will give a 10% discount if you trade in your old XS8 but you’d probably only get around $1200 in trade so it’s a big loss; better to try Ebay.
They won’t give you both the 15% plus the 10% trade during the Labor Day sale - just the 15%

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 02:37 PM
Funkster
Total Posts:  449
Joined  07-20-2008

Just so you know, MF/GC always have 15% off sales. At least once a month.

I’m sure in October it will be halloween sale and Novermber Thanksgiving and then December Christmas followed by January Clearance sale..you get the picture.

You can always be sure to have a sale coming up soon, if you can afford to wait a few days/weeks…

Also, MF does not charge sales tax and GC does (online).

You may still be legally liable for sales tax in your state, but MF doesnt’ charge it.

So, some handy buying info for people spending kilobucks.

I recently bought a guitar and gear from MF but I had a 20% off coupon that they had sent me (rare to find but get on their mailing list!)

Also FWIW you should be able to go into GC any day of the week and ask for the 15% off and if they dont give it to you then just say you’ll wait N days/weeks for the next 15% off sale and I’m sure they’ll give it to you.

GC sales are so regularly predictable, that they know everyone would wait for one for a big ticket item so they should just roll on that pretty easily

Funkster

PS MF=musicians friend, GC=guitar center, both of them are owned by same holding company

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 03:19 PM
coinstar
Total Posts:  74
Joined  05-13-2009
Jive Talking Robot - 04 September 2010 02:03 PM

The XF has all the XS sounds PLUS several new ones (and even more via their 500MB download).

The difference in audio quality that some are reporting is due to the better D/A conversion… i.e. the signal coming out of the XF is better, so while alot of the waveforms/elements are the same as the XS, they should technically sound better coming out of the box.

I have never A-B compared them nor do I know the XS 1/10th as well as many here, so I can’t add to the conversation as to if it actually sounds better, but Yamaha_US provided a technical reason for the better audio and it seems others have verified this w/ their own ears.

I hope that helps!

and this 500 mb sounds will be free and dose it will have oriental sounds and performances?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 03:43 PM
Jive Talking Robot
Total Posts:  201
Joined  08-23-2010

It will be free and feature a bunch of stuff, inclding some Easy Sounds and DCP banks I can’t wait to try out. From the FAQ @ Motifator:

New Inspiration in a Flash Free Sample Library download

Yamaha will make an approximately 500 MB Inspiration in a Flash free download available at the release of the XF.

This library has been developed so that you can load the individual banks into the 128 MB RAM or the whole file into a Flash board.

• Bank 1 is similar to the first bank of the XSpand Your world promotion with the S700 piano, brass, woodwind and vocal samples.
• Bank 2 focuses on vintage keyboards and synths with samples from Easy Sounds Organ Sessions and Phat Analog as well as Voices and samples from DCP productions Vintage Keys and B’ Knees.
• Bank 3 features a wide variety of new ethnic instruments many focused on the Middle East

In the user drum banks are new Arabic and Oriental kits and DTX drum kits converted from the free options for the DTX electronics drums.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 04:39 PM
worknman
Total Posts:  128
Joined  08-19-2010
lexluthier53 - 04 September 2010 02:24 PM

GC is having a 15% off sale through Labor Day up to $500 so you could pick one up for $3000

Are you sure about that? I asked in another thread about waiting til Black Friday to get one (I didn’t know they’d be out by Labor Day at the time) and was told there’d probably be no discounts on the XF for at least 6 months. If I could get an XF8 for $3,000, I’d go buy one right now :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 06:01 PM
JimH
Total Posts:  51
Joined  11-21-2005
worknman - 04 September 2010 04:39 PM

Are you sure about that? I asked in another thread about waiting til Black Friday to get one (I didn’t know they’d be out by Labor Day at the time) and was told there’d probably be no discounts on the XF for at least 6 months. If I could get an XF8 for $3,000, I’d go buy one right now :)

I got an email from GC about the 15% off Labor Day weekend sale. Many manufacturers are listed as excluded from the sale, but Yamaha isn’t. It’s true that GC has these sales fairly often, particularly Memorial Day and Labor Day as I remember. I recently bought a Hammond XK-3c at a 15% off GC sale last Feb 15. I guess that must’ve been a President’s Day sale or something, I don’t remember.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 07:45 PM
worknman
Total Posts:  128
Joined  08-19-2010
JimH - 04 September 2010 06:01 PM

I got an email from GC about the 15% off Labor Day weekend sale. Many manufacturers are listed as excluded from the sale, but Yamaha isn’t.

Alright, I’mma ride down there and see if they’ll sell me one for 3k. I’ll report back later!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF
Next Topic:

Previewed the XF ››