mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF"

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 04:38 PM
tripstation
Total Posts:  78
Joined  04-04-2005

what you mean it can’t load vsti’s.
I think I’m gonna buy an ES.
It supports 3 an1x plug in boards.
The mlan interface has 8 inputs and can route any where.
I think the Motif is going backwards, not forwards.
Except that is if you want it for live stuff dudes.
Does anyone one want to sell their ES.
I used to have an XS, didn’t see the point!
That’s just what I expected from the new XF, I even thought the XS would do the stuff above?
Am I the only one that thinks this?
Come on Yamaha, is this really a huge step forward?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 07:50 PM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

Well, you can get the ES, and have no flash RAM, nearly 700MB less of ROM samples, half the presets, half the user memories, almost half the arps, no modeled effects, no vocoder, profoundly slower sample load times, old school display, fewer real-time controls, and other stuff I can’t remember. Maybe it’s worth it to you to have one voice each of analog, FM, and physical modeling.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 12:29 AM
chicagodannyd
Total Posts:  12
Joined  08-11-2009

I own the motif xs 61, expanded with hundreds of additional patches with my thumb drive. I do not need anymore sounds. What I do feel is that an improvement would be to make the arpeggios fully editable. For example, make it possible for me to assign a specific kick or snare or cymbal for a particular drum pattern arp, instead of only having the choice of choosing another drum kit, which often does not have the particular kick or snare I need. Can the XF do that? TO get around the problem, I have created one custom drum kit, which I use extensively. But I would love to be able to easily and quickly the arps.

So far, I have not heard a sufffcient reason to move up to the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 02:44 AM
amitaip
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-11-2010

The XF looks like a product with zero innovation put into it.
Added some more flash mem, buy option for more, put a black color in (I prefer the XS’s silver) and voila the XF....a product with no real message to the world. Very sad. LEt’s hope the competitors will do a better job.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 10:03 AM
tripstation
Total Posts:  78
Joined  04-04-2005

Hi,
Like I said it would be fantastic for live use.
But come on!
I use Protools HD and the Air instruments, so I have loads of sample ram in my PC like 4GB
I use an AN1X at the mo and love the thang.
I also have an Axiom pro 49 which I’m selling.
Actually gonna sell the AN1X when I manage to get an ES.
I like the fact that I can have 3 plg’s in it, yes to me that is really cool.
With the mlan board (also after one if any one want to sell me theirs) I can have 16 outputs into the 192 I get 2 i88X’s (also after 2 of them)
I have all the sample stuff covered in PT8 HD.
I figured if I’m gonna have a controller keyboard, I might as well have one with 3 Prophet 5’s in it and also be able to control Reason via rewire with the built in Mackie control.
If I was gonna take the stuff on the road, I would probably buy an XF.
I also like the fact that the mLAN 16e has 8 inputs.
I was really pissed off that Yamaha cut it down to 6 and then you couldn’t even route signals through it.
What was the point of that.
It would have been cool to use it as a effect rack.
But no you can’t even do that.
Then I would have expected to go from 8 in 16 out on the ES to 16 in 16 out on the XS, but no it went backwards to 6 in 6 out.
So the XS again missed the point of all those cool effects and analog modeling stuff.
The XF should be a able to do all the PLG stuff in dsp’s by now, surely.
I mean doesn’t it run linux. couldn’t Yamaha put in a kick ass cpu or the dsp’s from the 01V96 like loads of them and run not just analog modeling, but also synths etc.
Yamaha could then sell DX,s and Prophets to load in, surely that would sell.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 10:24 AM
cyclops
Total Posts:  25
Joined  09-03-2010
tripstation - 04 September 2010 10:03 AM

Hi,
Like I said it would be fantastic for live use.
But come on!
I use Protools HD and the Air instruments, so I have loads of sample ram in my PC like 4GB
I use an AN1X at the mo and love the thang.
I also have an Axiom pro 49 which I’m selling.
Actually gonna sell the AN1X when I manage to get an ES.
I like the fact that I can have 3 plg’s in it, yes to me that is really cool.
With the mlan board (also after one if any one want to sell me theirs) I can have 16 outputs into the 192 I get 2 i88X’s (also after 2 of them)
I have all the sample stuff covered in PT8 HD.
I figured if I’m gonna have a controller keyboard, I might as well have one with 3 Prophet 5’s in it and also be able to control Reason via rewire with the built in Mackie control.
If I was gonna take the stuff on the road, I would probably buy an XF.
I also like the fact that the mLAN 16e has 8 inputs.
I was really pissed off that Yamaha cut it down to 6 and then you couldn’t even route signals through it.
What was the point of that.
It would have been cool to use it as a effect rack.
But no you can’t even do that.
Then I would have expected to go from 8 in 16 out on the ES to 16 in 16 out on the XS, but no it went backwards to 6 in 6 out.
So the XS again missed the point of all those cool effects and analog modeling stuff.
The XF should be a able to do all the PLG stuff in dsp’s by now, surely.
I mean doesn’t it run linux. couldn’t Yamaha put in a kick ass cpu or the dsp’s from the 01V96 like loads of them and run not just analog modeling, but also synths etc.
Yamaha could then sell DX,s and Prophets to load in, surely that would sell.

Yeah, all of this is really cool, especially being able to run modelling sounds from Motif’s CPU. But how something like this would cost? Would you be willing to pay much more money? See what happened with Korg OASYS, it used DSP-based sound generation, costed a lot of money and it finally got abandoned as a platform.

Let’s face it. There is no such thing as a perfect synth/workstation. Maybe manufacturers don’t give users all they ask for, because then they would stick with one piece of machinery for more time. How could manufacturers sell the next big successor then? Same goes with every manufacturer, see Korg or Roland for instance. Go in their forums and see what kind of bitching and moaning is happening there from the users, asking more things each and every time a new instrument gets announced or released…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XF in different colors...
Next Topic:

Full Concert Grand in XF ››