mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Spent 20 minutes on the XF8 at G.C. yesterday"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 10:03 PM
worknman
Total Posts:  128
Joined  08-19-2010
Apex - 02 September 2010 09:51 PM

What do you mean “humped up” new design?

I think he’s talking about the way the front part tilts up. Just an FYI though, that part can fold down so that the synth is completely flat, so it’s easy to travel with. It fits nicely in a Yamaha gig bag. In fact, that part of the keyboard is completely detachable, so it doubles as a tabletop synth. You can even put a Radias module in its place if you want, and on the 73/88 models, you can put a Radias and the M3 side-by-side :) It’s an awesome design, and it’s really too bad Yamaha didn’t copy it for the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 10:06 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005
worknman - 02 September 2010 10:03 PM
Apex - 02 September 2010 09:51 PM

What do you mean “humped up” new design?

I think he’s talking about the way the front part tilts up. Just an FYI though, that part can fold down so that the synth is completely flat, so it’s easy to travel with. It fits nicely in a Yamaha gig bag. In fact, that part of the keyboard is completely detachable, so it doubles as a tabletop synth. You can even put a Radias module in its place if you want, and on the 73/88 models, you can put a Radias and the M3 side-by-side :) It’s an awesome design, and it’s really too bad Yamaha didn’t copy it for the XF.

that’s what I thought he was talking about… I was gonna post the same thing that you said. 

only thing though… I don’t think yamaha could have copied it… I mean what instruments do they have that you could have loaded into the “main brain” slot?  I don’t really think that fits into yammy’s style…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 10:24 PM
Jive Talking Robot
Total Posts:  201
Joined  08-23-2010
Apex - 02 September 2010 10:01 PM

so what ended up making you decide against the m3?

I didn’t actually. :-) After spending all this time researching both, and after all the great help @ both forums, I finally came to the conclusion last night (after playing the M3) that those two synths go together like peas and carrots.  I “get” why so many people own both.  So it will be an XF6 + 1GB Flash and an M3 module w/ Radias.  Granted, in order to make this happen I will be selling a mint Nord Lead 3 and a little used Les Paul.  I love the NL3… but I would have more use w/ the M3 in the long run!  I think it will be a great out of the box combo myself.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 10:37 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
Jive Talking Robot - 02 September 2010 10:24 PM
Apex - 02 September 2010 10:01 PM

so what ended up making you decide against the m3?

I didn’t actually. :-) After spending all this time researching both, and after all the great help @ both forums, I finally came to the conclusion last night (after playing the M3) that those two synths go together like peas and carrots.  I “get” why so many people own both.  So it will be an XF6 + 1GB Flash and an M3 module w/ Radias.  Granted, in order to make this happen I will be selling a mint Nord Lead 3 and a little used Les Paul.  I love the NL3… but I would have more use w/ the M3 in the long run!  I think it will be a great out of the box combo myself.

and just for the sake of asking… what made you not even consider the Roland Fantom G? 

As far as boards are concerned, I’ve got an m3-88 and a Fantom G7.  Then in my rack, I have an XS-Rack, and a Roland p330 (same as MKS-20)

So that’s the combo I’m running. 

Also, explain your “peas and carrots” comparison about why the m3 and XF are so “good” together…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 11:11 PM
Jive Talking Robot
Total Posts:  201
Joined  08-23-2010

Based on your suggestion in the Korg thread I actually spent a good deal of time w/ the Fantom @ GC when I went there last weekend.  The M3 was busted, so I thought - what the heck. I really loved the G interface… it is a thing of beauty.  But the Roland sound just didn’t “click” with me at all.  I know a lot of people love it and I respect that, but there was nothing about the instrument that “moved” me.

RE: “peas and carrots”

I have always liked the XS… I like the workflow, I like the way it sounds in general (esp the pianos, EPs, guitars), I like the way it feels to play, etc, etc.  I just makes sense to me.  It “feels” like quality, you know?  The XF offer this and more.

The M3 was the bigger unknown… but working with it I really came to respect how well Korg does electronic sounds; I enjoyed the very smart, progressive touches (touch screen, piano roll, chord memory, pads, drum tracks) for banging things out.  KARMA is a bit much to get your head around out of the gate, but it seems useful.

But they also complement each other quite well IMO.  I think the Korg does “Synth” and outré sounds well and offers quick compositional tools; the XS does “Non Synth” sounds well and offers solid workflow (for me).  I can find uses for both… ergo, I will spring for both!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 11:41 PM
worknman
Total Posts:  128
Joined  08-19-2010

Yeah, it’s basically like this:

- Motif = Acoustic sounds + a nice selection of 3rd party libraries
- M3 = Electronic sounds (synths, pads, etc) + Karma (add a Radius exb for some analog action)
- Fantom G = ..... a big color screen?

For me personally, acoustic sounds are what matters most, so the choice is easy :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 12:23 AM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
worknman - 02 September 2010 11:41 PM

- M3 = Electronic sounds (synths, pads, etc) + Karma (add a Radius exb for some analog action)

For me personally, acoustic sounds are what matters most, so the choice is easy :)

Your account of the Fantom G is completely incorrect.  But I don’t even want to start one of those discussions up again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2010 @ 01:21 AM
Lemonjam
Total Posts:  38
Joined  08-02-2010

Yea,Fantom it’s a great pianos,e.pianos,strings...Really greats!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 06:25 AM
SuperM.A.N.
Total Posts:  106
Joined  09-04-2010

I don’t see this any where, but I’d like to know myself, if it is possible to purchase OEM Flash Memory and install them on the new MOTIF XF? $600 is just a bit steep for myself these days. I’m already just about the be the very proud owner of a new MOTIF XF7.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 06:59 AM
coinstar
Total Posts:  74
Joined  05-13-2009
zikerstu - 02 September 2010 03:39 PM

In reply to Coinstar! There is a few new drum kits in the XF, a maple and oak kits I believe, which are very well done. I think there are also some orchestra type kits and some dance styled ones as well. If you don’t have a Motif and you’re interested in one, give the XF a test drive. It’s well worth a look & listen, and way better than the other synth platforms in it’s price range.

thanks foe replying me

but the big problem is i cant give it a test because i am from Egypt and we dont have it and will not come till some one get it specialy from out of my country via visa from sweet water and this stuff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 07:10 AM
cyclops
Total Posts:  25
Joined  09-03-2010
worknman - 02 September 2010 11:41 PM

Totally wrong. Have you ever sit and play with a Fantom-G? It blows away the Motif in electronic/ambient sounds, and it blows away the M3 in classical/natural sounds. And of course offers the best user interface from all other two, plus better audio interfacing (line, HiZ, mic with phantom power or without, plus digital SPDI/F). The Fantom-G is an all-arounder when it comes to sound selection. The only aspect that it lacks is real support from the manufacturer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 07:15 AM
coinstar
Total Posts:  74
Joined  05-13-2009

i dont like fantom g too and its sound bad for me its strange

motif have the best sounds and bad looking interface

roland have bad sounds and best looking interface my dream is to have

fantom g looking but inside it motif engine :X

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 07:34 AM
cyclops
Total Posts:  25
Joined  09-03-2010

Every big workstation we’re talking about is a sampler/sample player. So you can import every sample you’re missing and make the essential patches. Remember, we’re talking about synths/samplers here, not ROMplers. The good thing with Motif series is that you don’t have to do so much work to bring the sounds to your liking. That way, I overcome the bad selection in soundware made from the manufacturer. However, a badly implemented user interface (like Motif’s) can’t be fixed. Only wait and hope for a better successor.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3