mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "The biggest Motif defect"

Page 1 of 7
Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 04:56 PM
radurobert
Total Posts:  794
Joined  03-05-2009

I think the biggest Motif defect is the abundance of classical types of sounds and the lack of modern sounds. Everything is too classic inside Motif. Even the flavor of sounds are classic. The synth sounds are to classic . The pads are to classic . Even the musical efx are just classic. In my own vision a true synth means 50% classic and 50% ultra modern . Even the efx plugins section need to be 50% classics - 50% MODERN. Yea that’s the equilibrium Motif needs . 50-50..Is like Yin & Yang if u know what i mean..

Aaaaa and even the sound banks are too classic. For example 80’s sound bank is pure classic ))))) or Vintage keys means classic synth sounds ))) . Don’t get me wrong . I like classical synth sounds, but not out of proportions. To much is to much, with this classical -back in the past- obsession…

Ok u make 80’s sound bank. But where is 90’s sound bank ??. Where is 2000 sound bank ??. Where is 2010 sound bank ??. And when i say 2010 ,i’m referring to 2010 ! the present. So please don’t live in the past, and accept the present. So when i load a synth sound bank i want to hear fresh COMMERCIAL sounds, ready to give some balls to my 2010 track. That’s what i’m talking about. I need commercial sounds out of the box, and not just sounds

Even the Motif sample-based synth engine is to classic and efx section being a part of this synth engine they are also to classic. I don’t see any analog synth efx emulations like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxpB6mKXDn0 inside Motif EFX section. No FM emulation inside EFX section. No Oscillator sync inside EFX section.No additive synthesis.No Phase distortion synthesis effect. In fact Motif XS have some kind of Granular synthesis effect !.Nice try Yamaha. Also XS have a Dynamic Filter EFX, or a strange Auto Synth efx ,so u can alter the sound in some new flavor synthesis ways !!. Nice try Yamaha.  But this XS effects are to classic or to strange so they don’t cover to much . To have big confidence in Motif Sample-based synthesis and to swear on that is simply a big mistake. Open you’re mind.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 05:52 PM
Funkster
Total Posts:  449
Joined  07-20-2008

Was there any good music in the 90s? in the 00s? What was it?

You know I was thinking, why is Hip Hop still alive after 20+ years?

The Classic Rock era, 1965-1975 created most of the great rock music. It only lasted 10 years.

Disco lasted 5 years.

80s music lasted 10 years.

Hip Hop/Rap is going on 20+ years. What makes this genre so great? Wake me when it’s over...please

In my book the XS at least has way too much hip hop and not enough classic. Dunno about the XF

Funkster

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 06:02 PM
radurobert
Joined  03-05-2009

Motifator shop need to have thousands of sound banks to cover everything from classic to modern

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 06:19 PM
dgarvich
Total Posts:  125
Joined  02-15-2009
radurobert - 31 August 2010 06:02 PM

Motifator shop need to have thousands of sound banks to cover everything from classic to modern

Why don’t you provide them?  It’s just a matter of money.  I’ll bet for the right price you can get anyone who made unique sounds in the 90’s to come around and show you how they did it.  Then you can recreate the sounds, make samples and sell them and make lots of money.

Simple enough, right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 07:18 PM
radurobert
Joined  03-05-2009

this days to have success in commercial music, u need 40% classic type sounds(acoustic, vintage, 80s..) and 60% modern type sounds (house, electro...) and u need to have commercial sounds out of the box. Fictive speaking that’s why u buy an expensive machine . Right ?. To give u some amazing commercial sounds out of the box ?? Mmmmm. But the reality is just dramatic. The big all mighty Motif don’t have that. Motif seems suitable to jazzy -rock-hiphop live players. Good luck with you’re Motif live sessions. But if u want to make some crazy modern commercial stuff in the studio,do u think u can count on the classical Motif ??..how ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 01:30 AM
worknman
Total Posts:  128
Joined  08-19-2010

Please to define ‘crazy modern commercial stuff’ ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 02:11 AM
tuquoque
Total Posts:  563
Joined  08-15-2007

Use your imagination, be innovative and: just do it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 03:01 AM
lexus
Total Posts:  157
Joined  01-27-2006

I believe, that when we talk about current successful commercial music, it depends on which part of the world you’re referring to...In the UK for example there are artists making hits with all kinds of gear. Take the UK electro artist Lil’ Boots for example - She uses a Tenori On!

Commercial music in the 21st century is definitely about innovation (and maybe with just a tiny bit of influence from past music genres), in the UK anyway, maybe it’s different elsewhere.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 03:48 AM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

This is the way I see it.

These days as well as in the 90’s & 80’s even perhaps 70’s commercial music is made not with just one synthesizer or workstation, but with several different keyboards of different brands.

For example: you can see Jordan Rudes with the Oasys on the Keyboard Magazine and yes he uses it because Korg sponsors him, but in the studio he might have used other keyboards to record his albums etc. Or you might see Lady Gaga’s keyboard player with a Motif XS, when at the studio they used other keyboards including softsynths and even the Motif itself.

It’s like for example the DX7, back in the late 80’s I used to think that if I had one I would have all the sounds from my favorite 80’s songs available for me, when in reality many keyboard players used Roland D50, jupiter, juno, ob 8, obxA, prophet V, Synclavier, Fairlight, Emulator II, Ensoniq etc etc etc, but DX7 was and still to these days the most famous synth in history.

If you just rely on one synth yes you will be able to do lots of things with it(lots of things), but you will not be able to do everything with it, because there is no synthesizer or workstations on Earth that can do it all.

My best advise is to have a workstation of wathever brand you like most, which should be your primary keyboard because it has pianos, organs, strings, bass, drums, etc etc(all the basic stuff) then to have a different synth with different technology like an analog or virtual sytnh like a Nord or a DSI Mopho or an Evolver, or a Moog Little Phatty, with maybe one or two modules from the 90’s like a Trinity, 01RW or a JV1080 so you can complement your sounds. Also you can rely on a softsynth.

That’s just the way I see it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 09:33 AM
radurobert
Joined  03-05-2009
venattboy - 01 September 2010 03:48 AM

This is the way I see it.

These days as well as in the 90’s & 80’s even perhaps 70’s commercial music is made not with just one synthesizer or workstation, but with several different keyboards of different brands.

For example: you can see Jordan Rudes with the Oasys on the Keyboard Magazine and yes he uses it because Korg sponsors him, but in the studio he might have used other keyboards to record his albums etc. Or you might see Lady Gaga’s keyboard player with a Motif XS, when at the studio they used other keyboards including softsynths and even the Motif itself.

It’s like for example the DX7, back in the late 80’s I used to think that if I had one I would have all the sounds from my favorite 80’s songs available for me, when in reality many keyboard players used Roland D50, jupiter, juno, ob 8, obxA, prophet V, Synclavier, Fairlight, Emulator II, Ensoniq etc etc etc, but DX7 was and still to these days the most famous synth in history.

If you just rely on one synth yes you will be able to do lots of things with it(lots of things), but you will not be able to do everything with it, because there is no synthesizer or workstations on Earth that can do it all.

My best advise is to have a workstation of wathever brand you like most, which should be your primary keyboard because it has pianos, organs, strings, bass, drums, etc etc(all the basic stuff) then to have a different synth with different technology like an analog or virtual sytnh like a Nord or a DSI Mopho or an Evolver, or a Moog Little Phatty, with maybe one or two modules from the 90’s like a Trinity, 01RW or a JV1080 so you can complement your sounds. Also you can rely on a softsynth.

That’s just the way I see it.

so u don’t agree that Motif needs more sound banks ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 12:13 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004

I agree that it needs far more user banks(3 or 4 is nothing to me), can not tell you about more preset sound banks because that might be subjective. I don’t see it been that retro.

Of the big three I think is the best choice, however it all comes to your own taste for sounds etc etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 12:50 PM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008

I think the biggest problem of motif is, while it sound very good and there are 3 party hight qualirty sample libraries at Motifaor it has very basic synth engin and u cannot modifie samples as well. so that’s why u cannot get different flavors of samples…

If Motif had something like kurzweil VAST it would be my #1 choise keyboard

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 12:51 PM
radurobert
Joined  03-05-2009

Sorry i must reformulate the previous answer (MY MISTAKE). Don’t u agree that Motifator Shop needs more sound banks ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 01:16 PM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008
radurobert - 01 September 2010 12:51 PM

Sorry i must reformulate the previous answer (MY MISTAKE). Don’t u agree that Motifator Shop needs more sound banks ?

It is jast impossible to creat as many sound sample librires to please all people.

But if motif had something similar to kurzweil VAST, it is realy possible to shape any sound up to ur taste....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 03:00 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
chilly - 01 September 2010 12:50 PM

I think the biggest problem of motif is, while it sound very good and there are 3 party hight qualirty sample libraries at Motifaor it has very basic synth engin and u cannot modifie samples as well. so that’s why u cannot get different flavors of samples…

If Motif had something like kurzweil VAST it would be my #1 choise keyboard

Excuse my ignorance, but what is VAST ? is that a kurweill synth engine ? what does it do ? what is it capable of ? What Kurzweil keyboard has it, is it all PC3 models ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 07:51 PM
radurobert
Joined  03-05-2009
chilly - 01 September 2010 01:16 PM

It is jast impossible to creat as many sound sample librires to please all people.

But if motif had something similar to kurzweil VAST, it is realy possible to shape any sound up to ur taste....

no is not impossible for a big corporation is easy . They need just more sound designers specialized on certain sound genre ..Some VA synths like Virus Ti, Korg Radias are mach better that Kurzy & VAST . If u want real power stick with that. I don’t believe that VAST can shape any sound up to my taste. This are just unfounded theories

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 7