mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF8 is at Guitar Center in Washington DC"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 01:34 AM
AK-Jake
Total Posts:  52
Joined  04-20-2008

Played with a Motif XF8 today at Guitar Center Fairfax.  First impression:  Motif XF is nothing more than a black Motif XS with Flash Memory, and some new functionality and presets...but that’s about it.  I was very disheartened to see that most of the new presets made for it are in the User Banks and NOT the Preset Banks.  Every Motif XS preset is included.  The new S6 piano patches are good, and it’s cool to see Farfisa organ patches too.  The weighted keybed on the XF8 felt noticeably different than the XS8...less “spongy” and more expressive.  It didn’t feel like the same weighted keybed as the one in the CP5, but I liked how it felt.

I didn’t spend enough time with it to truly judge it outside of my first initial impression, and I intend to spend more time in the future to really dig into it.  I also intend to ask a great deal of questions on here to better wrap my head around and understand the Motif workflow.  I’m looking to move up from an XS6 to either an XF7 or XS7.

Just an FYI, all Guitar Center has in stock are XF8s.  XF6s are on their way and are expected late this week or early next week.  XF7s are only being special-ordered.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 02:57 AM
BubbaMc
Total Posts:  66
Joined  08-23-2010

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m thinking I’ll get an XS6 on a closeout sale rather than opt for the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 09:47 AM
worknman
Total Posts:  128
Joined  08-19-2010

Do they have the 2GB flash ram? And do we even know how much that’s going to cost?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 10:22 AM
CesarSound
Total Posts:  572
Joined  12-25-2005
AK-Jake - 31 August 2010 01:34 AM

Played with a Motif XF8 today at Guitar Center Fairfax.  First impression:  Motif XF is nothing more than a black Motif XS with Flash Memory, and some new functionality and presets...but that’s about it.  I was very disheartened to see that most of the new presets made for it are in the User Banks and NOT the Preset Banks.  Every Motif XS preset is included.  The new S6 piano patches are good, and it’s cool to see Farfisa organ patches too.  The weighted keybed on the XF8 felt noticeably different than the XS8...less “spongy” and more expressive.  It didn’t feel like the same weighted keybed as the one in the CP5, but I liked how it felt.

I didn’t spend enough time with it to truly judge it outside of my first initial impression, and I intend to spend more time in the future to really dig into it.  I also intend to ask a great deal of questions on here to better wrap my head around and understand the Motif workflow.  I’m looking to move up from an XS6 to either an XF7 or XS7.

Just an FYI, all Guitar Center has in stock are XF8s.  XF6s are on their way and are expected late this week or early next week.  XF7s are only being special-ordered.

What is your opinion about the new display ?
Does it have better visualization and angle of visualization ?
Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 10:55 AM
AK-Jake
Joined  04-20-2008

They don’t have the Flash RAM boards in-stock that I know of...they just broke the XF8 out yesterday afternoon.  I doubt you’ll see flash-boards in-stock at stores, and they probably won’t be readily available for a few weeks.  But that’s just my prediction.

They quoted me $3099 for the XF7 and $3599 for the XF8.  In other words, the same retail prices listed by Yamaha a few weeks ago.  You may be able to get some wiggle room in the price, but probably not for a good 6 months or so.  Let the “newness” wear off and they’ll probably deal more after sales start to drop.

Regarding the visibility aspect of the “new” screen, I couldn’t quite tell, because the XF8 was hanging on the wall about 4 feet in the air.  It was MUCH brighter, and looking at it from an angle, it seemed to be much easier to view.  The REAL test will be playing it live outside in direct sunlight.  I’m gonna go play with it for awhile some more tonight.  I’ll get back to you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 02:16 PM
coinstar
Total Posts:  74
Joined  05-13-2009

plz help me friends i never have motif befor and i decided to get motif xf but when i saw some people said that its same xs just they make it black

and really i hate how motif look but i adore the sounds and i saw that xf

have the same presets as xs,, i compare the data list between xf and xs
a little new sounds and performance so ,i think to get motif xs rack with korg m3 61 or get motif xf i dont know what to do , the kind of music i produce is pop,funk,ballad,r&b;,jazz,electronic music

what you suggest for me friends motif xf or motif xs rack and (korg m3 or fantom xr)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 02:25 PM
AK-Jake
Joined  04-20-2008

Depends on what you’re looking to do with it.  You could get an XS Rack plus an M3...or you could get an M3-M (M3 rack-module) and an XS or XF workstation.  What are you looking to sequence with?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 02:31 PM
Lemonjam
Total Posts:  38
Joined  08-02-2010
coinstar - 31 August 2010 02:16 PM

plz help me friends i never have motif befor and i decided to get motif xf but when i saw some people said that its same xs just they make it black

a little new sounds and performance so ,i think to get motif xs rack with korg m3 61 or get motif xf i dont know what to do , the kind of music i produce is pop,funk,ballad,r&b;,jazz,electronic music

what you suggest for me friends motif xf or motif xs rack and (korg m3 or fantom xr)

Take motif xs-xf with korg m3-m!!!
It’s the best choice!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 02:36 PM
coinstar
Joined  05-13-2009
AK-Jake - 31 August 2010 02:25 PM

Depends on what you’re looking to do with it.  You could get an XS Rack plus an M3...or you could get an M3-M (M3 rack-module) and an XS or XF workstation.  What are you looking to sequence with?

i use cubase i dont record in keyboards

i just use sounds and arp from keyboards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 02:38 PM
coinstar
Joined  05-13-2009
Lemonjam - 31 August 2010 02:31 PM

It’s the best choice!!!

i chose from take motif xf alone or take motif xs rack and korg m361

what u suggest dose the xf worth to get it ???
isee xs do the same thing and have the same tone generator

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 02:45 PM
AK-Jake
Joined  04-20-2008

If you’re sequencing in Cubase, I’d just get the XS Rack used on Ebay, plus a used M3-M (module) and call it a day.  You can control both racks via MIDI, and you can control your XS Rack arps via the XS editor software right inside Cubase as a virtual instrument.  Saves you a ton of money!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 03:32 PM
coinstar
Joined  05-13-2009
AK-Jake - 31 August 2010 02:45 PM

If you’re sequencing in Cubase, I’d just get the XS Rack used on Ebay, plus a used M3-M (module) and call it a day.  You can control both racks via MIDI, and you can control your XS Rack arps via the XS editor software right inside Cubase as a virtual instrument.  Saves you a ton of money!

thanks for replay

another ask what do you think fantom xr instead of korg m3

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 03:40 PM
nchrist
Total Posts:  457
Joined  07-10-2009

It’s the best choice!!!

Agreed! I have Korg M3 73 (with full expansions) and Motif XS6 and they go together like 2 lovers...perfect

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 04:14 PM
coinstar
Joined  05-13-2009
nchrist - 31 August 2010 03:40 PM

It’s the best choice!!!

Agreed! I have Korg M3 73 (with full expansions) and Motif XS6 and they go together like 2 lovers...perfect

when you combin voice from motif and kor m3 dose they sounds nice

and can you control motif from ur korg?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 04:17 PM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-25-2002

i saw that xf have the same presets as xs,, i compare the data list between xf and xs a little new sounds and performance

The XF has the 1.5 times the Waveform count (almost 4000), more than 2 times the ROM size of the Motif XS (741 Mbyte), and now comes with 128 Mbytes of RAM standard. So if factory voices don’t inspire you enough, there soon be quite a few commercial 3rd-party Voice libraries which will utilize both new ROM Waveforms and custom samples. Yamaha will also provide free 500 Mbyte Voice library with additional Voices and Performances.

And you can install up to 2 Gbytes of nonvolatile flash memory in 0.5 and 1 GByte modules to store these custom waveforms, so you don’t have to load them at startup all over again.

Please include these facts in your consideration.

You can also wait until next Spring-Summer when the Motif-Rack XF will be release, which might feature built-in RAM and/or flash memory expansion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2010 @ 06:17 PM
worknman
Total Posts:  128
Joined  08-19-2010
DmitryKo - 31 August 2010 04:17 PM

Yamaha will also provide free 500 Mbyte Voice library with additional Voices and Performances.

Citation needed?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2