mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS8 - Noise introduced through USB cable"

Posted on: August 26, 2010 @ 01:47 PM
GrooveHound
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-11-2010

I am using the USB interface to carry MIDI between a PC and XS8 and have noticed noice coming into mixer from the XS8 analog outputs (right and left).  The noise disappears when I unplug the USB cable.  I have tried lifters on both the PC and XS8, which in the past have usually resolved this kind of problem, to no avail.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2010 @ 04:48 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008
GrooveHound - 26 August 2010 01:47 PM

I am using the USB interface to carry MIDI between a PC and XS8 and have noticed noice coming into mixer from the XS8 analog outputs (right and left).  The noise disappears when I unplug the USB cable.  I have tried lifters on both the PC and XS8, which in the past have usually resolved this kind of problem, to no avail.

It is almost certainly a ground loop problem.

You can find any number of articles about the issue with a google search, and here is a specific one I’ve found useful in the past:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/aug94/groundloops.html

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2010 @ 06:00 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Motif XS questions should be posted in the “Motif XS” section of this
forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2010 @ 01:15 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Do have a good search of the archives - this has been a common problem since USB first appeared on a Motif.
It always used to be worst with Laptops using certain types of power supplies. Running on batteries - as quite as a mouse, plug in the PS and noise galore!!

Anyways, ground loops are extremely annoying however they are caused and as such you may also be helped by an article which was run in Sound on Sound some while back on this very issue.
Do a search of their on-line article database.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB audio recording feature
Next Topic:

File Management and Tap Tempo ››