mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sampling on Motif ES- What am I doing wrong?"

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 11:18 AM
piano39
Total Posts:  42
Joined  02-13-2010

I have a Motif ES loaded with 1GB of RAM.

I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong trying to load WAV files into a voice.

I have no problem loading a waveform, and assigning this waveform to a keybank with a key range. I can load additional waveforms into the keybanks.  But when I save the edit to a Voice, it only plays back one of the keybanks.

I haven’t figured out how to assign keybanks to elements, or save multiple keybanks to a voice.

Is there a video or written tutorial that explains this?  Or is there a simple step that I am missing that can be answered in this forum?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 06:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have no problem loading a waveform, and assigning this waveform to a keybank with a key range. I can load additional waveforms into the keybanks.  But when I save the edit to a Voice, it only plays back one of the keybanks.

Well, let’s get the terminology correct and perhaps it will help straighten out where the confusion is:

You load a sample (which can be in .wav or aiff format) to a KEY BANK.

A KEY BANK defines a note range and velocity range.

Keybanks make up Waveforms. A Waveform must have at least 1 Keybank and can have as many as 128 Keybanks.

Initially when you place a sample (.wav) into a WAVEFORM it is mapped to a single Key, say C3.

YOu do not load waveforms into keybanks… Keybanks make up Waveforms. Here is an example, say you are creating a synth VOICE - and you have 12 samples of this sound.

C0 - G0 - C1 - G1 - C2 - G2 - C3 - G3 - C4 - G4 - C5 - G5

You load the C0 sample to KEYBANK C0
You load the G0 sample to KEYBANK G0
You load the C1 sample to KEYBANK C1
and so on.

You would create a note range for the C0 Keybank that allows it to cover C-2 through D#0

You would create a note range for the G0 Keybank that allows it to cover E0 ~ A0

You would create a note range for the C1 Keybank that allows it to cover A#0 ~ D#1

You would create a note range for the G1 Keybank that allows it to cover E1 ~ A1

and so forth… until you cover the range of the keyboard you wish to cover with this waveform. You are stretching each individual sample to cover a region above and below the sampled key itself. This is called “mapping” - ultimately you want to have a key map to cover the full range of the instrument you are constructing.

You could create as many KEYBANKS as necessary to cover the full range. All of the KEYBANKS make up a WAVEFORM…

Then when you go to VOICE mode
Press [EDIT]
Press Track [1] to select ELEMENT Edit
Press [F1] OSC
Press [SF1] WAVE
Select the WAVEFORM and it will play across the keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2010 @ 03:20 PM
saeef
Total Posts:  649
Joined  06-24-2005
piano39 - 21 August 2010 11:18 AM

I have a Motif ES loaded with 1GB of RAM.

I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong trying to load WAV files into a voice.

I haven’t figured out how to assign keybanks to elements, or save multiple keybanks to a voice.

Is there a video or written tutorial that explains this?  Or is there a simple step that I am missing that can be answered in this forum?

Thanks

Don’t know if this will add to BM’s answer but I’ll put it out there.. I had kind of the same prob.. and what I realized was that each sample you load will overwrite the next sample if you don’t assign a number to it ie. when you load a sample it defaults to 0001 then if you load another sample without assigning it to 0002 it will default to 0001 and overwrite the previously loaded sample and so on..
salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2010 @ 10:37 AM
piano39
Total Posts:  42
Joined  02-13-2010

Thanks for your help.
Got this to work using your advice.

By the way, I tried the step by step instructions in the manual several times- I don’t think that those instructions are complete.  I have a feeling that you have had complaints about the manual, before, though.

Again- thanks for the quick, helpful response.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2010 @ 12:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Don’t know if this will add to BM’s answer but I’ll put it out there.. I had kind of the same prob.. and what I realized was that each sample you load will overwrite the next sample if you don’t assign a number to it ie. when you load a sample it defaults to 0001 then if you load another sample without assigning it to 0002 it will default to 0001 and overwrite the previously loaded sample and so on..
salsa

The Motif ES does not ‘overwrite’ any samples - that is not something it can do.

If you load a sample into the same Waveform and into the same Keybank, it will load into memory - what you have to understand is that no more than two mono or one stereo sample can occupy a KEYBANK at a time. If you load and target the same Waveform and Keybank only the most recent one will sound. The others are not technically overwritten, they simply will not sound.

You can stack as many as 128 samples into the same Waveform and onto the same KEYBANK… Although not practical, you could.

Say you are building a four-way velocity swapping snare drum sound. You would load all four snare drums to the same WAVEFORM and target the same KEYBANK…

In order to have them each sound you would set a different VELOCITY RANGE for each… say the first one would respond to velocities of 1-55, the second to 56-80, and the third to 81- 120 and the fourth to 121-127. IN this way each will not cancel the other - they each occupy a unique velocity range.

However, when first loaded in and the VELOCITY RANGES are all the same, (1-127) - you will only hear the most recent ones loaded. A maximum of two mono samples can sound at once or a single stereo sample.

It is not possible to technically ‘OVERWRITE’ a sample… It is possible to target a specific WAVEFORM and KEYBANK. You must give a sample a unique key range and a unique velocity range or it will not sound.

Just FYI: A WAVEFORM is made from as few as 1 and as many as 128 KEYBANKS.  A Sample occupies a KEY BANK - which can be mapped horizontally across the keyboard (C-2~G8) and vertically to specific velocity ranges (1-127).

By the way, I tried the step by step instructions in the manual several times- I don’t think that those instructions are complete.  I have a feeling that you have had complaints about the manual, before, though

Glad you got it working.

While the manual cannot cover all instances of creating and mapping samples, it does cover the basics fairly well… try going through that portion again - perhaps it will make more sense the second time through…

Image Attachments
samplemapping.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2010 @ 10:01 PM
saeef
Joined  06-24-2005
Bad_Mister - 23 August 2010 12:44 PM

salsa

The Motif ES does not ‘overwrite’ any samples - that is not something it can do.

If you load a sample into the same Waveform and into the same Keybank, it will load into memory - what you have to understand is that no more than two mono or one stereo sample can occupy a KEYBANK at a time. If you load and target the same Waveform and Keybank only the most recent one will sound. The others are not technically overwritten, they simply will not sound.

You can stack as many as 128 samples into the same Waveform and onto the same KEYBANK… Although not practical, you could.

Say you are building a four-way velocity swapping snare drum sound. You would load all four snare drums to the same WAVEFORM and target the same KEYBANK…

In order to have them each sound you would set a different VELOCITY RANGE for each… say the first one would respond to velocities of 1-55, the second to 56-80, and the third to 81- 120 and the fourth to 121-127. IN this way each will not cancel the other - they each occupy a unique velocity range.

However, when first loaded in and the VELOCITY RANGES are all the same, (1-127) - you will only hear the most recent ones loaded. A maximum of two mono samples can sound at once or a single stereo sample.

It is not possible to technically ‘OVERWRITE’ a sample… It is possible to target a specific WAVEFORM and KEYBANK. You must give a sample a unique key range and a unique velocity range or it will not sound.

Just FYI: A WAVEFORM is made from as few as 1 and as many as 128 KEYBANKS.  A Sample occupies a KEY BANK - which can be mapped horizontally across the keyboard (C-2~G8) and vertically to specific velocity ranges (1-127).

I beleive you BM but something did happen when I was loading background vocals to the user voices.i.e. I would load one to user voice 1 and then another to user voice two.... one and two would play the same sample. until I went in and changed the number...something like 00001 and the 00002 .when i look at the es again I’ll see what i did
thanks
salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 06, 2010 @ 12:19 PM
Jan Geerts
Total Posts:  5
Joined  08-21-2010

How do you save the waveform you created that way into a w7w file?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2010 @ 12:36 AM
saeef
Joined  06-24-2005
Jan Geerts - 06 September 2010 12:19 PM

Jan

I finally got my es out of the vehicle for a few days (season slow for this month). so I’ll go through it and let you know exactly what I do..
Keep in mind I record my backgrouds to the computer and then load them as a wav and save it to a voice..
salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2010 @ 12:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Press [FILE]
Select TYPE = ALL WAVEFORM
Press [ENTER] and give the file a name
Press [ENTER] to execute.

Remember saving the WAVEFORM only saves the WAVEFORM data (which includes the following):
KEYBANK information - Note Range, Velocity Range
SAMPLE information - Start Point, End Point, Loop Point, level, pan, tuning, play mode (direction).

and, of course, the sampled audio itself.

What it does not include is any of the VOICE data. VOICE data are the parameters you find when you are in VOICE mode and you press EDIT:
So it does not save what VOICE you used the waveform in
It does not save the Amplitude, Filter, Pitch Envelopes, the LFO, the Effects, the EQ, etc., etc., etc.

In short the ALL WAVEFORM file only saves the immediate parameters assigned to the audio sample. It does not save how they became a playable sound.

This begs the question then:
When would you want to save an ALL WAVEFORM file?
Well, one instance would be, when you want to use the sampled audio in that file to build a completely new set of VOICES.

One of the reoccurring themes you will be reading about here on Motifator is about just this a WAVEFORM is used in a VOICE but by itself it is not really a playable instrument. A single WAVEFORM can be used to create scores of different VOICES.

A sawtooth wave (a classic analog waveform) can be used to create everything from synth strings, to synth brass sounds, even fat synth bass sounds, it all depends on how you dress up that wave with parameters, VOICE parameters.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Easy Question about Saving Songs
Next Topic:

split the keyboard in pattern mode? ››