mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New Product Releases Question"

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 11:02 AM
dgarvich
Total Posts:  125
Joined  02-15-2009

Obviously anyone can opine on this public post but it’s really meant for the Yamaha folks.

Obviously no one speaking on these forums except for perhaps you guys actually have hands on experience with the new product (the XF), but a lot of people seem to be expressing strong opinions.  They’re generally expressing a much stronger opinion than I would be comfortable expressing without having actually used a product.

So is that expression of admittedly uneducated opinions in such a strong manner new since the advent of things like online forums or is that something you guys (and other companies, I’d assume) have had to deal with traditionally?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 01:29 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
dgarvich - 20 August 2010 11:02 AM

Obviously anyone can opine on this public post but it’s really meant for the Yamaha folks.

Obviously no one speaking on these forums except for perhaps you guys actually have hands on experience with the new product (the XF), but a lot of people seem to be expressing strong opinions.  They’re generally expressing a much stronger opinion than I would be comfortable expressing without having actually used a product.

So is that expression of admittedly uneducated opinions in such a strong manner new since the advent of things like online forums or is that something you guys (and other companies, I’d assume) have had to deal with traditionally?

I’m not an employee of Yamaha but I’ve done sound design for them since
1991 and have been a participant on the Motifator forum since the beginning.

The “strong opinions” about the Motif XF are nothing new. We’ve seen
this kind of response since the first Motif (now called the Classic)
came out. No version of the Motif has escaped criticism for not having
this or that feature or for how some feature works. It comes with
the territory...people who are intent on complaining will complain.
In my experience, these are a tiny but vocal minority of users, and
if you trace back through all the Motifator forum archives, you’d see
that it is often the same individuals who post complaints over and over
again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 06:25 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

What at first seems to be negative reactions are an out growth of the times - with today’s “I’m a star in my on reality-TV series mentality, forums, for some, are a place to semi-anonymously leave comments (online graffiti) about their own particular personal situation. But be careful that the negativeness of some does not infect you - always reserve space to make up your own mind.

I’ve found that the more upset someone is about the fact that a company (has the “the nerve” to) put out a new product, “...after all I just bought the one that is now discontinued”, the more they actually simply want to verify and validate keeping their previous purchase - and they want someone to convince or at least agree with them that it’s okay to do so… Which, of course, is absolutely fine.

They have what is commonly called “GAS” - gear acquistion syndrome - which when a new product comes out causes extreme defensiveness (as one of its early symptoms). They really want to buy NEW gear… Later symptoms include a realization of some rational reality, which once they calm down they can recognize that they may have, in fact, over-reacted. And done so unnecessarily.

Overall the response has been great. Many of those most vocal about it will wind up at some point maybe even buying it (it has happened in the past - and will happen again in the future).

In my many years in this business I’ve dealt with all kinds of musicians - and the more angry they were about a ‘new’ product release, the more they wanted reasons why they should buy it. They take a stern “convince me” stance.

You are correct, it is almost impossible to know the impact of the new features until you have had a chance to experience what they can do for you - usually this realization comes as you see new adopters of the product start to experience the new features and start reaping the new benefits.

But in the meantime those ‘over reacting’ try very hard to take the role of “expert” (“listen to me… those guys at the company are idiots, don’t they know everybody wants what I want!” They actually try to discourage other people, people they do not even know that THEY should not purchase it - I’m sure psychologists would have a field day with this.

So if they do not have an XF currently they are really just “projecting” and attempting to criticize something they have not yet seen, heard, touched or experienced. So you must take their comments with that in mind - they actually DON’T KNOW… anything for sure yet.

The reality is that, of course, a company is going to put out a new keyboard eventually (hopefully that trend continues). Thank goodness. And most of you, if you think about it, wouldn’t really want it any other way. I mean, what if we were stuck in 1968 and no ‘new’ keyboard products ever came out?

But these are musical instruments - as long as you enjoy the one you are playing and as long as it is working for you - keep it (particularly if it is a Yamaha!) :)

I just returned after a week on the road. I ran into several folks, among them two SY85 owners and an SY99 owner - all very excited that Yamaha is still making new keyboards… they can’t wait for the XF.

The SY85 had a 6MB wave ROM (just FYI) and the SY99 had 8MB…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 07:37 PM
dgarvich
Total Posts:  125
Joined  02-15-2009

Thanks guys for satiating my curiosity!

The internet is a double-edged sword for sure.

I, for one, am looking forward to getting my hands on an XF.  Can’t wait to see what advantages it can provide to me in a gigging situation in particular (as the XS performs handsomely in the studio as is).

Thanks again for the great answers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 08:13 PM
drraw
Total Posts:  54
Joined  04-09-2010

Kind of like buying a new car the year before the new design of that model comes out. I’m one of those excited about the new model and anxiously waiting its delivery.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 02:45 AM
kokocalamar
Total Posts:  113
Joined  01-28-2007
Bad_Mister - 20 August 2010 06:25 PM

The SY85 had a 6MB wave ROM (just FYI) and the SY99 had 8MB…

The SY85 was my very first synthesizer! I got it in 1993, and with it’s modest internal sequencer (by todays standards) it sparked an almost endless creativity in me. I composed hundreds of songs, grooves and little snippets with it.

Today, I have access to endless gigabytes of samples, tons of softsynths, even an Oasys (!) etc. But I sometimes miss the simplicity of the SY85… Sound generation overkill perhaps?

Ok, enough with the off topic.

As you were!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 10:58 AM
Vocalchords
Total Posts:  59
Joined  03-23-2003

Musicians come in all ages, sizes, shapes and levels of ability. They play music in outdoor concerts for hundreds of thousands of people and in their bedrooms with headphones on and every imaginable situation in between.
They all have different needs and wants for their “ideal” instrument and that is why there is such a plethora of choices out there.
Each of these people is entitled to their opinion, and the internet in general, and this kind of forum specifically give them an outlet to express it.
If you understand the source of the opinion there will always be some value in reading it.
For every person that expresses an opinion in here there are likely hundreds if not thousands who read it and agree with it but don’t respond.
Before a manufacturer releases the next model in a product line, hopefully there is a lot of debate and thought about what new features it should include. It is therefore understandable that they would be somewhat defensive about hearing criticism about it. It is also understandable that consumers will have strong opinions about it.
I find it informative and interesting to read the opinions and the manufacturer’s remarks defending their decision process.
I am an old timer who started out with a Fender Rhodes and made my living making music through the late 70s and 80s when the “next new thing” seemed to come out monthly so I know all about the pain of “GAS” and some ways to avoid it, but I also understand that these companies are in business to make money.
Name calling and finger pointing aside, I think these forums afford a wonderful opportunity for exchange of information and opinions between interested consumers and manufacturers that can be of great benefit to all of us.
Just my 2 cents.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif xs7 with Mainstage
Next Topic:

Classical Training ››