mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FW16E as audio interface for laptop/softsynths live???"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: August 18, 2010 @ 11:33 AM
DZarob
Total Posts:  70
Joined  09-11-2002

Ok so let me get this straight.

Can I use the FW16E as an audio interface connected to my Mac in order to play soft synths live on stage?? Controlled from my Motif XS or XF keyboard??

What is the latency? Does it use ASIO drivers?

How exactly does this work?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 12:01 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Can I use the FW16E as an audio interface connected to my Mac in order to play soft synths live on stage?? Controlled from my Motif XS or XF keyboard??

Yes

What is the latency? Does it use ASIO drivers?

Your latency measurement will vary. It will depend on what you are running - it will be reported by your DAW. The Yamaha Steinberg FW driver is an ASIO driver (remember ASIO itself is an invention of Steinberg) - it is an extremely low latency driver.

How exactly does this work?

The Yamaha Steinberg FW (ASIO) driver allows bi-directional MIDI and Audio communication between your Motif XS/XF and your computer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 09:11 AM
DZarob
Total Posts:  70
Joined  09-11-2002

Bad Mister. Thank you much. I’ve had my Motif Classic since 2001 and you’ve always been a huge help whenever I’ve had questions or concerns. Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 01:41 PM
brendanwilder
Total Posts:  15
Joined  08-31-2009

I have a Mac running Snow Leopard and an XS6.  Can I get the new FW16e for my XS and have it work with Snow Leopard?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 01:47 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Yes, no problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 03:28 PM
jxsbebop
Total Posts:  191
Joined  08-06-2010

Wait...so you can use the FW16e (originally designed for the XF) with the XS...and the mLAN16e2 (originally designed for the XS) with the XF?  Wow...they really do have a similar architecture.

Bad_mister said he will find out if you can use mLAN with the mLAN16e2 on the XF...that would be pretty cool…

If that is the case are there any benefits of the FW16e over the mLAN16e2?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2010 @ 06:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

As I understand it, the Motif XF (when using either firewire expansion board) must use the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver.

It cannot communicate with devices using the old mLAN driver (those include: the 01X, the i88X, the Motif ES/S90 ES w/mLAN16E, or any digital mixer with an MY16-mLAN card) These legacy mLAN products must use the old, mLAN Tools/Driver.

The FW16E and the Motif XF must use the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver.

One advantage of the FW16E over the mLAN16E2 is the FW16E is in production, while the mLAN16E2 has been discontinued.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 03:47 AM
jxsbebop
Joined  08-06-2010

Thanks, Bad_Mister.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 03:49 AM
jxsbebop
Joined  08-06-2010

Bad_Mister, sorry one more question, if I am able to get a hold of the mLAN16E2 and later on I was to get a Motif XF, I wouldn’t be missing anything with using the mLAN16E2 with the Motif XF vs the FW16E with the Motif XF, correct?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 09:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

That is my understanding. There will be an update for the mLAN16E2 that will bring it completely up to date.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 12:05 PM
jxsbebop
Joined  08-06-2010
Bad_Mister - 20 August 2010 06:54 PM

As I understand it, the Motif XF (when using either firewire expansion board) must use the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver.

It cannot communicate with devices using the old mLAN driver (those include: the 01X, the i88X, the Motif ES/S90 ES w/mLAN16E, or any digital mixer with an MY16-mLAN card) Thes legacy mLAN products must use the old, mLAN Tools/Driver.

The Motif XS must use the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver.

One advantage of the FW16E over the mLAN16E2 is the FW16E is in production, while the mLAN16E2 has been discontinued.

I just noticed that you said,

The Motif XS must use the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver.

I thought the Motif XS with the mLAN16E2 can be used with a mLAN network (with Motif ES w/mLAN16E, 01x, i88x, etc.).

My understanding was the mLAN16E2 in the Motif XS can communicate with a mLAN network.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 04:04 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

That should read: The FW16E and the Motif XF must use the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2010 @ 05:07 PM
jxsbebop
Joined  08-06-2010

Bad_Mister, thank you for the clarification.  I think I might just purchase the mLAN16E2 since I have a Motif XS and in case I upgrade to the Motif XF, I’ll put the mLAN16E2 in the Motif XF.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 02:14 AM
JimH
Total Posts:  51
Joined  11-21-2005

I haven’t come across any spec for the FW16E yet. I assume it has 16 channels of audio from keyboard to computer. But how many from computer to keyboard? Does it transfer MIDI also? If so, how many ports?

It seems like FW16E must give you the equivalent of what mLAN did up to three devices max, true? You could have an FW16E and two MR816’s working together at the same time? Except that you don’t do any routing I presume.

One thing that would be nice would be a variation of the FW16E that could plug into an ES model. But I guess realistically that wouldn’t happen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2010 @ 10:07 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

16 audio buses from the XF to computer
Configured as the Main L/R plus 14 assignable buses which can be configured as odd/even stereo pairs or as mono outputs.

3 stereo audio bus returns
Motif XF Main L/R - returns audio from computer to main left/right outputs on the back panel of XF for monitoring system
Motif XF FW L/R - returns audio from computer to Motif XF internal mixer and/or sampler
Motif XF ASGN L/R - returns audio from computer to to the assignable L/R jacks on the back panel of the XF

Multiple Port of MIDI
Port 1 - for all music related MIDI data: Note-on, Controllers, Tempo, etc.
Port 2 - for REMOTE CONTROL of DAW software Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, Sonar and Digital Performer
Port 3 - for IN/OUT communication from any external device connected to the Motif XF’s 5-pin MIDI jacks. This is the so called THRU port

Up to three devices can exist in the multiple peer-to-peer relationship with your computer - so, yes you can have an FW16E and two MR816CSX’s in a setup. This would deliver 48 channels of audio to the computer. 16 audio buses from each. 

One thing that would be nice would be a variation of the FW16E that could plug into an ES model. But I guess realistically that wouldn’t happen

Why that will not happen is the expense. The mLAN16E (old version) was quite a bit more expensive. Used more expensive chips, could do “true” networking between nodes. Made more demand on those old computers. It was most likely the expense that prevented more other companies from participating. So at this point making a version that goes back and uses a more expensive chip doesn’t seem like a good plan. Not to mention the issues with today’s computers (ugh!!!)

The really old mLAN8E did 8 audio buses, was only 16-bit/44.1kHz and was $899. Over time the chips did become more affordable - back then each device could run a system (with or without a computer) so the chip set was really expensive. The specification now is higher quality more channel buses but no networking and the computer does need to be in the system… That is how it has evolved.

Image Attachments
FW routing1.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2010 @ 08:24 PM
JimH
Total Posts:  51
Joined  11-21-2005

Thanks for the info. I think I had seen the picture in the XF manual but it wasn’t clear at first to me.

Bad_Mister - 02 September 2010 10:07 AM

Why that will not happen is the expense. The mLAN16E (old version) was quite a bit more expensive. Used more expensive chips, could do “true” networking between nodes.

Well, what I meant was the other way around. I meant a non-true-networking card for the ES models, so that an owner of an ES could make it work together with an MR816.

Regarding cost, I bought my mLAN16E for $400 and the FW16E is $300. A big enough difference for Yamaha to switch? I don’t know. Anyway, possibly they will go down a little more over time.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Looking for help in English dictation
Next Topic:

How to achieve the Elton John Piano sound? ››