mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Direct Question about screen redraw and ISS memory"

Posted on: August 12, 2010 @ 04:55 PM
NY2G
Total Posts:  29
Joined  10-14-2003

I am an ES owner who actually bought an XS and returned it because I work really quickly on the ES and the screen redraw and save requester between modes was a deal breaker.

My question is....

When the screen has been addressed the answer has been that it updates faster as if it were tweaked.  Is this the same screen?  The contrast on he XS was horrible and the screen redraw seemed to be a hardware issue to me.  Does that mean you will be tweaking the XS screen? (not that it matters too much to me)

Also pardon me if this has been answered directly but.....

I use the ISS quite a bit.  I record heavily layered background vocals which eat memeory up.  Is it true that with the XF I will actually be limited to 128mb for the ISS (vs the 1Gb available to me on the ES)?  Until I transfer the memory over to flash?  And then have no options to edit the data?

I am not here to bash the XF, I actually love the Motif series.  I just find the ES to this point has been a much better fit for the way I work.  I do think 2GB of Flash will be great for gigging musicians like myself who often use a laptop for backing tracks.  The 2 track USB playbck is OK, but it doesn’t leave you with options (ie… muting parts for players that are present and bringing up parts for missing elements).

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2010 @ 03:26 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

The flash memory can be used for ISS samples.  There is no inherent limitation there.  After you have recorded your samples into SDRAM using ISS, they become Motif waveforms, you can store these waveforms in flash if you need them all the time.  If they are stored in Flash, they are always there when you turn on the keyboard . 

If you needed to edit the actual samples in a Flash waveform again for some reason, you can copy the waveform from Flash to RAM and edit it.  Then if you wish you can move it back to Flash.

There is no difference between the waveforms and waves stored in Flash and those stored in SDRAM, there are only two differences . Only SDRAM waves can be edited at the sample level and only Flash waves stay in memory after turning off the power.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2010 @ 03:51 AM
NY2G
Joined  10-14-2003

That makes sense, but I am asking if during the recording process I fill the 128mb(which I do), if I have to STOP to transfer samples across to flash.

Also please answer my question regarding the screen.  Is this a new screen ie new part number or a software update on the original?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2010 @ 11:25 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Yes, if you fill up the 128MB you need to transfer waves to Flash and delete them from SDRAM.

As far as the screen is concerned , it is both a new part and new OS.  There are different screens and a different display angle as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2010 @ 12:21 PM
NY2G
Joined  10-14-2003

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ does XF have still audio recording time limitation?
Next Topic:

suggestion please? ››