mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Has Motif XF “Super Articulation 2"(Tyros3) sounds…or a few even better (Tyros4) ?"

Page 4 of 5
Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 09:23 AM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-24-2002

My 50 cents.  There is no question that non-professional (amateur/hobbyst etc.) can be used for doing much the same thing as professional gear. The difference is workflow, quality, and certain features which only matter for professional users.

“Arranger workstations” are not considered “professional” instruments for a number of reasons, and Tyros series are clearly not in “professional” workstation ballpark. No full featured sequencer, no full featured arpeggiator, no sampler and sample expansion, just to name a few. In many ways, Tyros series are just top-of the line PSR series and a successor to PSR9000 and 9000 Pro keyboards.  The whole operational workflow is taylored for hobbysts who what a quick and dirty way to play some pop songs, so it features many overgeneralized styles where most parts are never even intended to be played from keyboard.

Yes it can recreate a pop-tune with one keypress, however it will be just a an oversimplistic rough 6-part accompaniement, and not the precise note-for-note correct score of the original. The only kind of “professional” player who can make use of it is a pop/folk “one-man orchestra” type of lounge player, which I suppose is more popular in Europe than in the USA. On the other hand, Motif is a professional instrument aimed at people who either create their own music, or play other’s music at a much higher level of authencity.

Consider this as a difference between digital point-and-shoot or “prosumer” cameras and DSLR cameras. Totally different needs, features and markets, which results in totally different workflow and specifications. The end result, a captured photo, is mostly the same, if you can live with more noise, imprecise focusing etc.  Most people can, that’s why they buy point-and-shoot cameras. However there are things that you would never be able to achieve with such a camera.

Have you ever seen a wedding photographer or sports photograper with a prosumer or point and shoot camera? For weddings, you absolutely need adequate flash metering, and for sports, you absolutely need a fast stabilized telephoto lens, fast autofocus, and fast shooting speed. No point and shoot camera is able to live to these requirements, though some people may try to employ it in such capability (with universally disappointing results).

So, I’d say different tools for different folks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 09:37 AM
buhuhu
Total Posts:  39
Joined  02-04-2010

I have both (XS and tyros3).

advantage of tyros 3
-Style player with more than “up to 4 performance voice")
-with tyros 3 can play a song alone with more voice like XS (without computer)
-the same sampler like motif XS
-HDD
-BETTER sound card like motif XS (not mLan)
-BETTER for play standard midi files.
-BIGGER DISPLAY
-VGA Output
- You can easy to convert sound from Kontakt, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra.... and load into Tyros 3 RAM
-Easy change sound from computer
-Internal wave sound recorder

advantage of XS
-perfect integration with cubase
-HAMMER keys
-Pattern

I would like to make a WorkstationArranger into one. :))

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 09:41 AM
buhuhu
Joined  02-04-2010
DmitryKo - 14 August 2010 09:23 AM

“Arranger workstations” are not considered “professional” instruments for a number of reasons, and Tyros series are clearly not in “professional” workstation ballpark. No full featured sequencer, no full featured arpeggiator, no sampler and sample expansion, just to name a few. In many ways, Tyros series are just top-of the line PSR series and a successor to PSR9000 and 9000 Pro keyboards.  The whole operational workflow is taylored for hobbysts who what a quick and dirty way to play some pop songs, so it features many overgeneralized styles where most parts are never even intended to be played from keyboard.

So, I’d say different tools for different folks.

Tyros 3 has a sampler

With tyros 3 sampler you make everythings like motif XS

Example with sampler voice into tyros 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkRhIllA4c

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 10:30 AM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-24-2002
buhuhu - 14 August 2010 09:41 AM

Tyros 3 has a sampler

No, it doesn’t.

Example with sampler voice into tyros 3

It’s a demo of “SA2 Trombone” voice, which means “Super Articulation 2”.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 10:56 AM
buhuhu
Joined  02-04-2010
DmitryKo - 14 August 2010 10:30 AM
buhuhu - 14 August 2010 09:41 AM

Tyros 3 has a sampler

No, it doesn’t.

Example with sampler voice into tyros 3

It’s a demo of “SA2 Trombone” voice, which means “Super Articulation 2”.

You need to install more RAM to use a sampler from tyros 3 (Tyros 1 don’t have sampler but Tyros 2 and 3 has)

I use on tyros3 with voice from KONTAKT and from EWQL Symphonic.

SA2 Trombone it is a premium voice from yamaha.

http://music-tyros.com/en/premium/index2.html

From the yamaha site http://music-tyros.com/img/ScatVoice_Tyros3.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYZzzzIbZjo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 11:49 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-28-2002
buhuhu - 14 August 2010 10:56 AM

SA2 Trombone it is a premium voice from yamaha.

http://music-tyros.com/en/premium/index2.html

From the yamaha site http://music-tyros.com/img/ScatVoice_Tyros3.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYZzzzIbZjo

OMG, that sounds and LOOKS great. It must be a real thrill to be able to play it that easily. It reminded me of that old SA2 Clarinet demo. Try making XS sound like this!

I wish Yamaha put SA2 into workstation line.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 12:14 PM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-24-2002

You need to install more RAM to use a sampler from tyros 3 (Tyros 1 don’t have sampler but Tyros 2 and 3 has)

It’s “sample player”, not a full-featured sampler.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2010 @ 12:24 PM
buhuhu
Joined  02-04-2010
DmitryKo - 14 August 2010 12:14 PM

It’s “sample player”, not a full-featured sampler.

It is a many software for convert for any type of sampler to tyros (nki to Tyros, sf2 to Tyros, gig to Tyros etc....)

For motif we have NOTHING.

Why yamaha don’t make a software or possibility to convert or use the sound from tyros into motif ? Simple....If you want… you must buy the tyros for 4500$

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 02:54 PM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-24-2002
buhuhu - 14 August 2010 12:24 PM

It is a many software for convert for any type of sampler to tyros (nki to Tyros, sf2 to Tyros, gig to Tyros etc....)

This is not true.

http://www.chickensys.com/products/sw_iteminfo.php?sw_name=Motif+Creator
http://www.chickensys.com/chickensys/support/software/motifcreator/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 02:59 PM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-28-2002
DmitryKo - 15 August 2010 02:54 PM
buhuhu - 14 August 2010 12:24 PM

This is not true.

http://www.chickensys.com/products/sw_iteminfo.php?sw_name=Motif+Creator
http://www.chickensys.com/chickensys/support/software/motifcreator/

Oh, that app that crashed on first launch… ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 03:38 PM
lekanout
Total Posts:  82
Joined  07-19-2007

i’ve read these discussions and i think this debate is wrong:

This is not a proffessional or hobbyist problem between the motif and tyros product lines...the problem is:where and how do you play music(proffessional or amateur)

I’ve bought and used all the motif series,and used them in different ways:
-as a keyboard player in a band,it’s the motif..
-as an entertainer in restaurants,hotels...it’s for the tyros!

I don’t know why yamaha us consider the tyros for hobbyist...maybe it’s a culture difference..

In europe,there are so many proffessional musicians with arrangers keyboards in differents way to play music!

i’m playing with a tyros 3 with a singer in some little pubs,where it’s not always possible to play with a entire band....and the tyros is perfect!

In some ways(orientable big screen,some direct access functions..)the tyros is far better than the motif for live gigging…
And so many motif arpeggios are only masked arrangements from tyros series…

The tyros however is this kind of beautiful sound in a poor plastic box,not made for a big tour…
...and this is not a hobbyist problem,just a bad yamaha marketing decision!

Because if the tyros was in a metal box....it would be a kind of dream for a band acoustic keyboard player.....

(and to compare sounds,i agree with dave polish,nobody win,it depends if you need some programming or not...if you are electronic music,you need motif programming functions...)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 09:46 PM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-24-2002
Jote - 15 August 2010 02:59 PM

that app that crashed on first launch… ;)

I’ve just downloaded and installed the latest free version 0.9.84 from
http://www.chickensys.com/downloads/motifcreator.php
and it lauches just fine. The free version is unable to do any translations however, so it’s just an kind of editor/librarian.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2010 @ 12:07 AM
mmusic
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  05-24-2008

I don´t want to decide, if the Motif XS or the Tyros 2,3 is the better instrument. They have one thin in common: Both are excellent.

I would not compose ambient or rock music with the Tyros (also it has rock styles) and I would not compose a foxtrott or cha cha cha with the XS.

What is a professional instrument, what a hobbyist instrument? Isn´t it crazy? The questions is wrong.

The question is: Is the man behind the keyboard a prof or a, as we say in Germany, “sunday musician”?

For bum chaka bum chaka click you don´t need a Tyros nor a XS.

I upload a demo of Tyros 2 in “mo songs” (Demo Songs Yamaha) if you realy want to compare compare…

mmusic

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2010 @ 02:41 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-17-2003

As I posses neither of those instruments .....

... if some automation makes the player a hobbyist ....

Jarre and Vangelis won’t like those statements.

But they probably don’t read these posts at all ..............

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2010 @ 08:52 AM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-24-2002
mmusic - 16 August 2010 12:07 AM

What is a professional instrument, what a hobbyist instrument?

Examples of home and hobbyist digital instruments from Yamaha: EZ, PSR-E, YPG, DGX, Clavinova, Disklavier, PSR-S and Tyros series/

Examples of pro instruments: VL, AN, P, CP, S, MO, MM, Motif and Motif-Rack series.

Try to grasp the difference between these two categories.

sciuriware - 16 August 2010 02:41 AM

… if some automation makes the player a hobbyist ....
Jarre and Vangelis won’t like those statements.

They didn’t use Tyros back in 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, and I doubt they use it now.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 4 of 5

Previous Topic:

‹‹ And speaking of Arps....
Next Topic:

A little perspective on the XS and XF ››