mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Windows 7 and mLAN"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 07:58 PM
frank.bahia
Total Posts:  5
Joined  01-21-2007

At the moment I’m a potential Motif customer but I’d appreciate some help in seeing how it can fit in with Win7 and my present 01x-based system.  My specific questions are:
1) Will the 01x and mLAN Auto Connect operate directly under Win7-64, using the XP-64 mLAN drivers?
2) If ‘no’ to the above question, will they run if installed in “XP Mode”?
3) Will Studio Manager run -
(a) directly under Win7-64?  If not…
(b) in “XP Mode”?

Thanks very much, guys!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 08:41 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

frank.bahia - 08 August 2010 07:58 PM

At the moment I’m a potential Motif customer but I’d appreciate some help in seeing how it can fit in with Win7 and my present 01x-based system.  My specific questions are:
1) Will the 01x and mLAN Auto Connect operate directly under Win7-64, using the XP-64 mLAN drivers?
2) If ‘no’ to the above question, will they run if installed in “XP Mode”?
3) Will Studio Manager run -
(a) directly under Win7-64?  If not…
(b) in “XP Mode”?

Thanks very much, guys!

You should carefully read this thread from mlancentral.com forum. The last one talks about Win7 64bit, but there is also two or three post below about Win7 32bit.
There are answers on all your questions. I have tried on Win7 32bit and it works, but unfortunatelly my firewire chip is not fully supported and I had reduced number of channels. Thats why I still have a four year old Acer laptop with XP where mLAN works without any issues. But, as you will see when you read info from mlancentral, a lot of people successfully installed mLAN on 64bit Win7 computers.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2010 @ 02:43 PM
frank.bahia
Joined  01-21-2007

Thanks, Alex.  I read through the mLANCentral posts—seems that Win7/64+mLAN is a minefield...not many happy users there.  I’ve also discovered that the XPMode/Virtual PC option is apparently out as it doesn’t support Firewire.  I’ll be trying it myself in a few weeks and will report back.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2010 @ 03:51 PM
dorremifasol
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  10-17-2005

I haven’t managed to install or use my 01X and i88x on my Windows 7 64 bit. I had to buy other equipment to replace those two expensive units (which are not so old). They work perfectly, don’t have any scratches, and yet I can’t use them in my studio. And I can’t sell them either, nobody wants them.

I will NEVER AGAIN spend my money on any hardware from Yamaha or Steinberg that depends on software to work. And yes, I’m very angry, my money is very hard to earn.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2010 @ 05:45 PM
Chris music prod
Total Posts:  42
Joined  07-20-2005

Totally agree with dorremifasol!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 05:03 AM
HappyHarryNET
Total Posts:  488
Joined  12-10-2006
dorremifasol - 10 August 2010 03:51 PM

I haven’t managed to install or use my 01X and i88x on my Windows 7 64 bit. I had to buy other equipment to replace those two expensive units (which are not so old). They work perfectly, don’t have any scratches, and yet I can’t use them in my studio. And I can’t sell them either, nobody wants them.

I will NEVER AGAIN spend my money on any hardware from Yamaha or Steinberg that depends on software to work. And yes, I’m very angry, my money is very hard to earn.

How much do you want for your i88x?

HHNET

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 05:31 AM
dorremifasol
Joined  10-17-2005

Sorry, Harry, I prefer not to send it overseas. I’m living in Spain.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 05:41 AM
HappyHarryNET
Joined  12-10-2006

What do you care if I am the one paying for it, including shipping?

HHNET

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 06:28 AM
hape13
Total Posts:  84
Joined  03-19-2008
dorremifasol - 10 August 2010 03:51 PM

Hi dorremifasol,

I am sure, this is the wrong place to discuss the old mLAN-Hardware - but now, that it’s here:

I am exact in the same situation. Actually I’m checking out some possibilities, to use the old mLAN-Gear in combination with new systems. Maybe in a week I can tell more…

Greetings from Germany,

hp.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 08:29 AM
dorremifasol
Joined  10-17-2005

My current setup consist on a 01X expanded with an i88x, and a RME Fireface 800. The fireface serves as interface between computer and the other two components.

I can use the 01X as a standalone mixer, with its inputs + i88x inputs + 8 Fireface inputs through ADAT (24 channels maxed). I can also use the Fireface as an audio interface with all its inputs + 8 inputs coming from the i88x or the 01X through ADAT, and the 01X main mix or rec output coming from SPDIF too. This is a very powerful setup, but it’s too big and expensive form my modest needs.

Currently I tend to use only the Fireface for simplicity.

What do you care if I am the one paying for it, including shipping?

I don’t have any experience shipping out of Spain and I would prefer not to do it. I have it on sale for 350€ but only for local pickup. But you know, I’m not happy selling it. I really like its 2 main preamps, much more than the Fireface’s. But the Fireface has amazing converters compared to the rest of mLan channels.

I would prefer to keep the i88x and the 01X with new drivers from Yamaha.

The Fireface is OLD, very. But it still gets improved with new drivers and firmwares, the latest ones released two months ago which provided amazing stability and low CPU usage on Windows 7. I’m really happy with it.

I also have a very old MOTU Micro express, one that it has been out from production for many years, and still has got drivers for Windows 7 64bit and works perfectly.

Moreover, Clavia released a driver for Windows 7 64 bit for my Nord Modular G2 when it was already out of production for some time.

M-Audio did not provide new drivers for my already sold MIDISPORT 4x4, they only make drivers for their newer units.

While it may seem a good (and dirty) tactic not to support old hardware, forcing the users to buy new one, in the end I think it has the opposite result.

I never bought any RME or MOTU product before I had to switch to Windows 7, but now they have a new customer on me. I feel safe spending my money on their hardware because I know I will be able to use it until I decide to upgrade, not until THEY decide I need to upgrade.

So, while I praise things well done by Yamaha (like their excellent and unsurpassed workstation waveforms), I also criticize what is bad done, and the their lack of support is absurdly BAD on mLan. Lots of years waiting for stable drivers, and when it seemed that they got them right, left us with drivers for an already deprecated and dead operating system.

Sorry for the long post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 08:51 AM
HappyHarryNET
Joined  12-10-2006

dorremifesol,

thank you for explaining that; i was scratching my head. and yes, i surely understand you’re not wishing to sell your 01X or i88x. still, i shall continue hunting for 3-i88x. and as far as i am concerned, your post is not too long.

HHNET

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 08:53 AM
HappyHarryNET
Joined  12-10-2006

Hi dorremifasol,

I am sure, this is the wrong place to discuss the old mLAN-Hardware - but now, that it’s here:

I am exact in the same situation. Actually I’m checking out some possibilities, to use the old mLAN-Gear in combination with new systems. Maybe in a week I can tell more…

Greetings from Germany,

hp.

=================

there is a >>new<< and continuing Forum for mLAN here:
http://mlan.dailyforum.net/index.php

hip-hip-horray!

HHNET

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2010 @ 10:30 AM
dorremifasol
Joined  10-17-2005

Thanks for the link!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2010 @ 05:24 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
HappyHarryNET - 15 August 2010 08:53 AM

there is a >>new<< and continuing Forum for mLAN here:
http://mlan.dailyforum.net/index.php

hip-hip-horray!

HHNET

Thanks a lot for this link, I register myself immediately after your post!!!

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 06:43 PM
JimH
Total Posts:  51
Joined  11-21-2005

I am sure this is the wrong place to discuss old mLAN hardware....uh wait, maybe it’s not. I think it’s only fair to warn a new generation of customers what they are getting into. If you buy hardware whose partial or entire function depends on computer software, the value and usefulness of that hardware may eventually be locked to a certain version of the computer’s O/S. If you’re fortunate, the hardware maker will update that software for new versions of the O/S. But they may choose not to, so it’s worth looking at a company’s past behavior to see what may happen.

In my case, I own an i88x and also an S90ES with a mLAN16E card. It works great because I can have both connected with Cubase at the same time, something you can’t do with the newer technology. Unfortunately I can’t upgrade my system to 64-bit Windows 7. Actually I could, but then I’d have to junk the i88x and mLAN16E and and end up with something I like less. Yamaha will not update the mLAN driver to support 64-bit Window 7, so if I want to keep using the hardware, I pretty much need to stay at Windows XP indefinitely. (True, the mLAN driver can work with 32-bit Windows 7 I’ve heard, but these days it’s making more sense to go to 64-bit as long as you’re going to the trouble to upgrade anyway.) Many of us would appreciate it, if they won’t update the mLAN driver, that Yamaha would at least release source code and documentation to the public so we can do it ourselves. But I suppose they have no motivation to do that and they’d be afraid it could reveal too much to competitors, and the lawyers would freak out.

I really love my S90ES, but I would never consider buying an S90XS, for example. To edit all the parameters in the S90XS requires computer software, and who knows how long that software will be updated. I also own old synths like a Korg EX-8000 and DSS-1, and a Yamaha TX81Z. Old as they are, I can still fully use all of these. Will you still be able to fully program your S90XS ten years from now on whatever O/S you’ll have then? I can see why Yamaha would choose not to update the mLAN driver: it’s purely an expense for them. That’s their right. All I’m saying is, buyer beware. How long will that FW16E be usable?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2010 @ 12:58 PM
frank.bahia
Joined  01-21-2007

Although this thread has veered badly off the original track, since I started it I’m giving an update for those who might be interested. 

Bottom line:  mLAN and Win7-64 won’t work (at least for an 01x install).

I obtained a set of SIGNED 7-64 drivers from someone names ‘basti’ on mlancentral (that a poster here refered me to), and started to install with a brand new machine - nothing on the HD except the OS.  Everything seemed to go fine until the very end, when I launched Auto Connect and got a message that the mLan bus driver had not properly installed.

After uninstalling/reinstalling several times, I decided to move on to the “XP Mode” option.  Same results.

I reluctantly continued on to Plan C—dual boot with XP(32bit) on another hard drive, using the same mLan drivers as I’ve been using with another XP machine.  Of course, this worked perfectly...which essentially puts me back where I started from, mLAN-wise.  At least my new machine is considerably faster, with more RAM (XP-32 sees 3.5 of the 4 I’ve installed).
I’ve PM’d the guy I got the Win7 drivers from to see if he has any additional ideas.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pre-Ordered My XF8!
Next Topic:

Only 4 Voices in Performance Mode? ››