mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I’m baaack"

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 02:18 AM
saeef
Total Posts:  649
Joined  06-24-2005

For the sample retention alone I think I’ll go with this.. no more 15 or more minute wait for background samples to load? man!!
One question though with the fl , does this apply to midi files also? How many midi files can I load now as compared to the es?
I had that sequencer memory thingee with loading just a few songs from the smc. If I buy that extra mem will my loading song days be over?
salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 12:28 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Well, welcome back!

One question though with the fl , does this apply to midi files also? How many midi files can I load now as compared to the es?
I had that sequencer memory thingee with loading just a few songs from the smc. If I buy that extra mem will my loading song days be over?

That’s three questions… but :)

The Flash memory expansion cards (FL512, FL1024) install into two slots. You can expand to half a gigabyte, 1GB, 1.5GB or 2GB with different combinations of boards. The cards are for samples (waveform) data only.

But not to worry, if you are moving up from an ES (much has changed since 2003), the sequencer data in the Motif-series since the XS (2007) can be stored on-board. So your SONGS and PATTERNS can be stored in non-volatile memory - they remain between power cycles (this is standard)…

One of the changes with the XS (and, of course, it’s in the XF) was that the PATTERN/SONG sequencer went to a scenario where when you write data to the sequencer and/or you edit your MIXING setup… you simply press [STORE] this writes it to the memory. this is very similar to how you would do when editing a VOICE… the changes your make to a Voice are made in an edit buffer, when you decide you want to keep the changes you press [STORE]. That is how the sequencer and MIXING setup works.

So once you load your SONGS and/or PATTERNS into the XF they remain in there until you overwrite them.  So your loading SONG may be over… it depends, of course, on the length and amont of song data.

If you are moving up from a Motif ES what else you will find new (and useful in your situation) is that the newer Motif-series (both the XS and XF) can RECORD AUDIO and stream audio playback from a USB drive or via Ethernet (directly from a computer network).

So it is totally possible to record your MIDI files as audio data, connect a drive to the Motif XF’s TO DEVICE port, and in this manner you can have access to all your songs. You can stream them from the USB drive or you can transfer them to your FL boards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 01:02 PM
miket156
Total Posts:  148
Joined  06-28-2004

So if I am reading this right, my existing 200 Motif ES format songs will have to be “converted” to audio format in order to run on the XF?

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 01:15 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

No, that’s not correct.  Type “converting motif es” into the search window in the upper right hand of the site and you find an article and a downloadable zip about how to convert ES songs into XS format. The process will be the same for the Motif XF.

With a little bit of care, you can convert all of your Motif ES songs into Motif XS or XF song format.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 02:23 PM
saeef
Joined  06-24-2005
Bad_Mister - 08 August 2010 12:28 PM

Well, welcome back!

That’s three questions… but :)

Well I consider it one with clarification :-)

Question is, how much data can me stored? midi data, as compared to xs an es. Or is that memory still too expensive to be in large amounts? I wish there was an option to buy that mem also.. I’d pay a few extra bucks for that also.

You indicate that I can store my files as audio.. I assume that would work for pattern mode also. Or would I have to save/store all the pattern parts separately and assign them to the pattern letter?

Thanks

salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 04:38 PM
saeef
Joined  06-24-2005

130,000 notes?
aww man..
anyway I’m still sold on the flash
salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 06:20 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Question is, how much data can me stored? midi data, as compared to xs an es. Or is that memory still too expensive to be in large amounts? I wish there was an option to buy that mem also.. I’d pay a few extra bucks for that also.

You indicate that I can store my files as audio.. I assume that would work for pattern mode also. Or would I have to save/store all the pattern parts separately and assign them to the pattern letter?

The Motif ES sequencer was 896KB, the Motif XS and XF sequencers are 1024KB. (How many notes that is is fodder for discussion/arguments and I contend no one knows how many notes are in a song anyway). But the file size is measureable and a much more useful specification. If you could get 896KB in your ES, you can now get 1024KB in your XS/XF…

To be clear, you cannot just “STORE” your files as audio. You record them as audio (.wav) and then you can store the audio files to your USB drive or make them Motif XF Waveforms and write them to your FL board(s).

Please read through the following which explains some of the NEW FUNCTIONS, including the AUDIO RECORD/PLAYBACK function) these were added to the Motif XS a full 2 years after its initial release:

New Functions in Motif XS

As to your PATTERNs, Pattern mode is entirely unique in that you do not just hit play and your PATTERNS play from start to finish. IN fact PATTERN mode is still your music in a non-automated (not quite finished) format. In other words, you must press the SECTION buttons manually to playback a completed composition (in most instances).

So depending on how you use PATTERN mode, transferring PATTERNS to audio may or may not work for your needs.

A “PATTERN Chain” is an automated utilization of PATTERN mode - because you have created a linear structure that can play from start to finish.

A SONG is an automated structure - because it also can be played from start to finish without any further manual commands from you.

Audio playback is going to best used for data that does not need any further manual commands from you… you know like when you press play on your iPod, or you put a CD on, playback automated/playback of a completed work… (lol)…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 11:04 PM
miket156
Total Posts:  148
Joined  06-28-2004

BY Yamaha US:

With a little bit of care, you can convert all of your Motif ES songs into Motif XS or XF song format.

Hmm....I understand that the XF is an new synth, its just a question if i want to go through that process with each and every one of the songs I want to use on the XF. I have 200 or more songs I sequenced on my ES8. FX and mix settings will be lost. Or at least the FX will be different. That in itself is not a big problem, but I would have to select voices for each song and remix it. What Presets I did use I edited in Song Mode and made changes and then save the edited Preset with the song. Unfortunately, I didn’t name a lot of those edited Presets so I might not know what they are. I also saved Voices that I used all the time as User Voice. I would have to take notes on each song in my ES8 as to what voices are on what track as well as the PC and CC settings, mod wheel, pitch wheel, etc. settings for each track and every song. . Hmm....

I’ll be 63 in October and I don’t know if I want to spend my time doing a conversion process instead of just playing music (sigh).

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 2 new Videos
Next Topic:

Help! Issue with mLAN16e2 and Windows 7 (64) ››