mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha, sorry but you’ll need to do better than that!"

Page 2 of 4
Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 09:45 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

SY99 $3999 back in 1992, 16 notes of AFM plus 16 notes of AWM (sample playback) a huge 8MB wave ROM ... 15 track sequencer + Track 16 was the PATTERN track. 3.5” Floppy Disk drive 2DD (double density disks)… :-)

$4000 in 1992 money, go figure… what’s that today?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 11:10 AM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-25-2002
WesEXer - 05 August 2010 09:08 AM

The general public isn’t hip to these drives though

Hard disks are still way cheaper for the same capacity, $150 can buy you either 60 GB SSD or 2 TB HDD; smaller SSDs have made their way to portable computers though.

so maybe that’s why Yamaha chose not to go this route? OR it’s a control/profit thing? OR they’d have to add an SATA controller and support for it

They just didn’t want to make major changes to the OS and the hardware platform.

BTW next generation flash card formats such as SDXC and CFast should offer similar speeds in a year or two (CFast is internally based on SATA 600) and support for flash-friendly file systems like exFAT.

Bad_Mister - 05 August 2010 09:45 AM

About $6200 according to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 11:25 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008
DmitryKo - 05 August 2010 11:10 AM

About $6200 according to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

To keep everything fair though, you have to take into account the relative cost of components as well. A chip that would have cost $50 to make in ‘92 would probably cost a fraction of that today. On the other hand, today’s components were in many cases simply not available at any cost in ‘92, so there is another adjustment to take into account the cost of the extra features/power available in modern hardware.

It’s not a sum I feel qualified to calculate with any degree of precision.

I’d be interested to know how much an SY99 (the same specs as the original, but using modern fabrication) would cost to make today. I would imagine it to be less (even accounting for inflation) than it did then.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 12:15 PM
miket156
Total Posts:  148
Joined  06-28-2004

DmitryKo:

I don’t know that the OP was talking about anything other than standard hard drives when he posted. The Solid State drives have been appearing in laptops and are going to be utilized more and more.

You could very well be right about this, but there has to be a reason that Yamaha went the route they did. On my ES8 I bought over the counter RAM for the sampler and had to load it up via a USB stick. Anything that was sizeable took too long to load for gigs. And if there was a power failure in the middle of a set....

Time will tell if the next generation of Motif workstations use off the shelf memory again (I doubt it). I worked in the computer reseller business for 15 years and when 3rd party devices got in the mix we never knew what the results were going to be. Compaq Computer put the skids to off-the-shelf parts back in the eighties because they determined that the bulk of tech support calls were from customers that owned a Compaq Computer and had some kind of 3rd party device installed in it. Compaq closed their system and started installing proprietary components in them. People complained, but the performance and reliability of their systems sat well with corporate America because they didn’t have to deal with regular equipment breakdowns.

There has to be a reason(s) Yamaha went the route they did. I don’t think that the price of a 1GB Flash drive by Yamaha that I know is going to work and be guaranteed by Yamaha is too expensive.

Cheers,

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 01:10 PM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-25-2002
miket156 - 05 August 2010 12:15 PM

I don’t know that the OP was talking about anything other than standard hard drives when he posted.

Here is the direct qoute right from the first post.
beechit - 04 August 2010 03:54 PM

why didn’t they just add an SSD SATA 1.8 or 2.5” interface to the XF?

Note how he mentions “SSD SATA”.

There has to be a reason(s) Yamaha went the route they did. I don’t think that the price of a 1GB Flash drive by Yamaha that I know is going to work and be guaranteed by Yamaha is too expensive.

I really doubt the reason Yamaha didn’t offer internal hard disks in the Motif series has to do with some kind of realiability problems. They have no problem using 2.5” hard disks in the Tyros line, and they had no problem supporting 3rd party hardware through industry standards like SDRAM and USB.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 01:10 PM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-25-2002
Dreamflight - 05 August 2010 11:25 AM

To keep everything fair though, you have to take into account the relative cost of components as well. A chip that would have cost $50 to make in ‘92 would probably cost a fraction of that today. On the other hand, today’s components were in many cases simply not available at any cost in ‘92, so there is another adjustment to take into account the cost of the extra features/power available in modern hardware.

Please let me know when you have a scientifically proven method to account for all these variables :)

One thing is for certain, current digital synths and samplers cost less than their counterparts from 1980s and 1990s when you take inflation into account.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 01:36 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

SYEMB05 = SY Expansion Memory Boards allowed you to add 512Kb of battery backed RAM to the SY99 and there were 5 slots. The SY99 came with 512Kb (that is not a misprint - I mean kilobytes of RAM on board and you can add 5 x 512Kb for a total of 3MB in a full expanded SY99.

If I recall the SYEMB05’s retailed for $395 a board!!!

Just FYI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 01:49 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008
DmitryKo - 05 August 2010 01:10 PM
Dreamflight - 05 August 2010 11:25 AM

Please let me know when you have a scientifically proven method to account for all these variables :)

One thing is for certain, current digital synths and samplers cost less than their counterparts from 1980s and 1990s when you take inflation into account.

Didn’t you read the second half of my original post - you essentially repeated back what I already wrote, just in different words.

To the first point I said:
It’s not a sum I feel qualified to calculate with any degree of precision.

To the second I said:
I’d be interested to know how much an SY99 (the same specs as the original, but using modern fabrication) would cost to make today. I would imagine it to be less (even accounting for inflation) than it did then.

I think we agree, like-for-like kit costs less now than it did then ... :)

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 02:31 PM
ZombieRaider
Total Posts:  291
Joined  04-03-2006

SY99 $3999 back in 1992, 16 notes of AFM plus 16 notes of AWM (sample playback) a huge 8MB wave ROM ... 15 track sequencer + Track 16 was the PATTERN track. 3.5” Floppy Disk drive 2DD (double density disks)… :-)

An Open Labs device today....Oh wait, they went bankrupt....Never mind.....ZR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 02:53 PM
ZombieRaider
Total Posts:  291
Joined  04-03-2006

It’s not that the XF isn’t a great board....It’s that people have changed the mindset of how they spend money.....This is going to be an extremely hard sell to XS owners I think...I know the recession has totally changed my mindset on EVERYTHING I buy...The days of swiping the credit card and making payments are over for the majority of people I know....I’m really glad that Yamaha is ahead of the pack because it’s great products and great value that I want to have around for a long time to come...It’s just like everything else though, it’s going to be hard as heck to get my money for anything right now because before I make a purchase on anything I ask- Do I really need that and is it worth it?....Hopefully the answer will be yes to many out there....ZR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 03:15 PM
megassus
Total Posts:  97
Joined  02-04-2004

Won’t buy a new motif unless they put a robotic Bad_Mister inside it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 03:24 PM
zillaclout
Total Posts:  48
Joined  06-24-2007
miket156 - 04 August 2010 04:10 PM
There are a number of people posting that unless Yamaha builds a synthesizer to their specifications, they won’t be buying an XF.

You should check the prices of custom guitars for comparison. You’ll find that the Motif XF is a bargain compared to a $6,000 custom guitar with a shiny finish that has ONE SOUND.

Get real.

Mike T.[/quote

Agree with you 100% Mike.  If the XF isnt for you...cool!  In a down economy, who has put out a new workstation that you do want?  oh thats rght, NOBODY!  The way i see it, this board should make the ES users salivate.  It is a glorified XS.  As a Studio Owner, im gonna keep my XS8 in the studio now, and im gonna get a XF7 and gig with it.  Thanks Yamaha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 03:25 PM
DmitryKo
Joined  07-25-2002
Dreamflight - 05 August 2010 01:49 PM

I’d be interested to know how much an SY99 (the same specs as the original, but using modern fabrication) would cost to make today.

Sorry, I’m not interested in finding an answer to abstract questions. It’s like asking how much would it cost to faithfully re-implement analog modular synthesis with today’s technology, when a far better approach would be digital virtual analog modelling which has all the benefits and none of the drawbacks of pure analog gear. Different technology, different cost to implement.

BTW how much does it cost to re-implement FM synthesis on a new quality level in CP-1 stage piano, which has virtual FM modelling (though it doesn’t have AWM2 voices at all) and a price of $5000? How would it compare to a $300 PLG-DX150 board which had the original full-featured OPL4 ASIC from the DX-series? I have no answer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 03:34 PM
zillaclout
Total Posts:  48
Joined  06-24-2007

[

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 05:13 PM
Derek Cook
Total Posts:  249
Joined  12-31-2005
miket156 - 04 August 2010 04:10 PM

There are a number of people posting that unless Yamaha builds a synthesizer to their specifications, they won’t be buying an XF.

You should check the prices of custom guitars for comparison. You’ll find that the Motif XF is a bargain compared to a $6,000 custom guitar with a shiny finish that has ONE SOUND.

Get real.

Mike T.

Whilst I won’t be buying an XF for my own reasons (I love my vintage Yamaha gear more and the XF doesn’t offer anything over their capabilities for me IMHO :-) ), I have a £200 Line 6 Variax 500 guitar with 20 odd guitar models in it, and that’s before you start processing the sound though my £300 Line 6 X3 Live. So that’s a tad more than one sound. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 4

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Won’t be buying a new Yamaha synthesizer...
Next Topic:

Pro-Tools anyone?!? ››