mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF Answers"

Page 8 of 9
Posted on: August 07, 2010 @ 10:37 AM
Aryn
Total Posts:  26
Joined  06-25-2009
Parsifal - 07 August 2010 10:06 AM

I’m not sure I understood so I’m gonna ask you some questions:
- do you need chord detection on arps or not?
- is the 8 arps a deal breaker?
- do you merely want 8 multitimbral parts in performance mode?
I’m asking you this because you might get better results using either an Akai MPC or a Kurzweil PC3.

I first wanted to get a groovebox… having independent patterns on different parts and being able to switch on / off each one in real time .

Then I realized there’s no groovebox able to detect chords.

I also thought about getting a Korg PA2Xpro… it has sliders like the motif, chord detection too, but I don’t think I can use it quickly in realtime like a groovebox.

Besides, I want arps not styles .

Yeah, the Kurzweil PC3 is the closest thing to what I want… being able to manage 16 parts simultaneously, 16 arps and also sliders. But… it also lacks chord detection.

Maybe I should get both the PC3 and Korg Pa2Xpro .

But then again, Yamaha would not gain anything and neither do I, because I don’t want to jump from one board to another during live performance.

Sorry for my bad English from previous posts.

This time I’ve been helped by a friend and I hope you can understand it all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2010 @ 11:10 AM
yamaha76
Total Posts:  237
Joined  01-03-2010

Hi PAPAPHOENIX,Bonjour papaphoenix!

Many thanks for your reply Heu!!!! je veux dire merci beaucoup pour ta réponse au sujet de la date de sortie du XF en France. Je suis les infos de cette petite bête depuis l’annonce et ce qui m’interesse outre le doublement de la capacité des waveforms, et les extras users bank en user1 perf 1, c’est le fait de pouvoir enfin garder les samples en mémoire aprés reboot du synthé.
Il est vrai que je regarde toujours de temps en temps Moessieurs et le forum. J’aime bien tes vidéos et les tests dans démozone .Toutefois pour la musique que je fais (guitariste avant tout)je me ballade plus sur ce forum et celui de soundcloud. Encore merci pour l’info.yamaha76

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2010 @ 05:31 PM
papaphoenix
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  03-09-2004

Ravi de t’avoir renseigné Yamaha76 et merci pour Moessieurs.
Happy to answer about your question and thank you for your kind words about Moessieurs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 02:52 PM
SH1000
Total Posts:  63
Joined  05-12-2008

Tnx for all the answers but a few more questions (sorry if I’ve missed these answers) from a very interested XS-player…

- Is master mode similar to the XS?
- How many master programmes are there?
- Is the OS faster? (sometimes when I move the XS-slides, tones will be slightly delayed)
- Will it have a MIDI-merge function?
- can I route voices to the other assignable outputs in a performance?

tnx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2010 @ 03:05 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Is master mode similar to the XS? Yes.

- How many master programmes are there? 128 Master Programs

- Is the OS faster? (sometimes when I move the XS-slides, tones will be slightly delayed) - The OS is different so it depends on what functions you are talking about, but there was optimization in several areas.

- Will it have a MIDI-merge function? No, no MIDI merging.

- can I route voices to the other assignable outputs in a performance?

Yes, this is also available on the Motif XS.

LCD Output jacks Stereo/Mono
L&R;OUTPUT L and R Stereo
asL&R;ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT L and R Stereo
FW1&2;FW OUTPUT 1 and 2 Stereo (1: L, 2: R)
FW3&4;FW OUTPUT 3 and 4 Stereo (3: L, 4: R)
FW5&6;FW OUTPUT 5 and 6 Stereo (5: L, 6: R)
FW7&8;FW OUTPUT 7 and 8 Stereo (7: L, 8: R)
FW9&10;FW OUTPUT 9 and 10 Stereo (9: L, 10: R)
FW11&12;FW OUTPUT 11 and 12 Stereo (11: L, 12: R)
FW13&14;FW OUTPUT 13 and 14 Stereo (13: L, 14: R)
asL ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT L Mono
asR ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT R Mono
FW1 FW OUTPUT 1 Mono
: : :
FW14 FW OUTPUT 14 Mono
drum See below* See below*

* About “drum” setting, see below.
When “drum” is selected and the Normal Voice is assigned to the
edited Part, the sound will be output via the OUTPUT L and R jacks in
stereo.
When “drum” is selected and the Drum Voice is assigned to the edited
Part, the sound will be output via the jacks set in the Drum Key Edit
display as the Output Select parameter.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 12:52 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

In one of the posts on this thread, it was mentioned that there will be a way to search arps by category.  That’s cool.  Is this something that might also be put into an XS OS upgrade?  It’d be nice!

Also, it was mentioned that the 1,000 new arps would only be available to the XF.  I’m curious as to what is different in the way the XF creates arps from the XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 02:13 PM
Aryn
Joined  06-25-2009

A while ago I sent an email to Yamaha to solve some problems in a new OS update and I want to know if XF Motif operating system was optimized with regard to those listed below!

Here the message:

Dear friends,

I have purchased a Motif XS7 and I’m delighted with it, especially the polyphonic arpeggiators. I want to congratulate you for this wonderful achievement.

I’m doing electronica using multiple arpeggiators – that’s why I mostly use Performance Mode – which – in my humble opinion – is “bugged” by some software-based limitations. That’s why I hope the next OS release will also cover these problems I’m about to tell:

1. Biggest risk on stage:

When you’re playing in Performance Mode and you’re changing sounds quickly (and also going through 1-5 arp motifs) you need to jump to and fro different screens – the 5 arp motifs which appear in performance mode / play cannot be viewed / accessed in the performance mode / voice. This often lead to mistakes – I switched the whole performance( instead of only one voice) lots of times. While on stage I have no time to ponder which screen I’m on and since the same buttons have different functionality in different screens it’s very difficult to manage both arps and switching voices live. It’s most annoying.

Here’s my proposal: the arp motifs (1 to 5) should be viewed in Performance Mode / Voice (there’s enough space on the screen to add them too) so we won’t need to jump from “Play” to “Voice” and back. If you’re planning to tell me I should instead use sequencer mode (Pattern or Song mode) I can honestly say it’s no good for me because I mostly rely on improvisation and lots of live variations (which I cannot foresee in advance).

2. When I’m in Performance Mode / Voice / Category Search, I cannot switch directly to “Performance Control” or “Program” at the touch of a button (I’m required to further press twice on “Category Search”) Please remove this annoying waste of time (for live situation).

I would be most pleased if all 3 functions above could be accessed by a single press of a button. 

3.Whenever I’m in Performance Mode and I want to record directly on usb stick I am hampered by the record window – I have no access to other functions whatsoever, I cannot switch arp motifs 1-5, sounds / favourites, etc.

I would like to record on stick while in Performance Mode and be able to access all other functions in this screen while recording. Sequencing using seq controls is somewhat better (because I can access the 1-5 arp motifs) but I still cannot switch sounds / favourites. I still cannot access other functions of the Performance Mode while recording using Motif sequencer. At least I should be able to access and switch favourite sounds while recording in the sequencer.

My proposal would be :

a) After you select the direct recording on stick option (FILE / Audio / Rec/ Insert / Enter / Enter) the recording window should dissappear after pressing the last “Enter”, the screen reverting to the usual Performance Mode screen and functions (the FILE button should be blinking – showing a recording in process). Canceling or stopping the recording should be done by pressing FILE / Enter again then prompted recording options. 

b) After you started recording in PERFORMANCE MODE/ SEQ TRANSPORT / PLAY, we can use the PLAY button / SEQ TRANSPORT during registration for the disappearance and reappearance of the recording window, whenever we want it to not be blocked by window for registration and access to other functions and windows to access favorite sounds for each arpegiator.

4. I suggest a new Performance Mode / Arpeggio should be introduced, along with the option Category Search / Favorite for the 4 arps . We need favorites not only for sounds but for arpeggios too.

I’ve exchanged ideas and opinios with several other Motif owners and we shared these shotcomings (most of the ideas are the result of our discussions). We anxiously hope a future OS will solve these shortcomings and make the Motif XS the greatest workstation on the planet !

Thank you in advance and wish you the best!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 10:41 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Whenever I’m in Performance Mode and I want to record directly on usb stick I am hampered by the record window – I have no access to other functions whatsoever, I cannot switch arp motifs 1-5, sounds / favourites, etc.

You seemed to have missed an important step. The direct to USB Record is a function of the FILE mode. You are actually in FILE mode… and you are actively creating a file (in real time).

A way to accomplish what you desire is to use the Motif XS as it was designed. Here’s what I mean: You are in PERFORMANCE mode and wish to record real-time with access to your PERFORMANCE mode functions (inlcuding ARP Selection 1-5, etc)
Press [PERFORM] select your PERFORMANCE
Press [RECORD]
Target a blank SONG
Record your PERFORMANCE using all the PERFORMANCE mode functions you wish.
When complete press STOP

Press [FILE]
Press [F4] AUDIO
Press [SF1] REC
Give your FILE a name > Press [ENTER]
And now transfer your completed work to your USB drive.

You are trying to remove a very important step (which took years to develop), namely DIRECT PERFORMANCE RECORD - which is designed to allow you to use the PERFORMANCE mode functions in the real-time recording to the built-in sequencer, prior to finalizing the data to a (.wav) file.  (it also is a great way to edit and add additonal data - which is a very common way to use this function).

It is the reason that in old-school recording studios they use a multi-track recorder (like tape or hard disks) prior to mixing down to the final stereo product.

Recording data to a USB drive is like ‘mastering’. You don’t bring the band to the Mastering studio. You bring the band to the studio (sequencer) and there you complete the recording and then the finished mix.

In the XF (just FYI), there is already an ARPEGGIO Category Search and Favorites function implemented and is planned for the XS in a future update.

We appreciate you sharing what you’d like to see although there maybe reasons why it works like it does that may preclude your requests. We’ll certainly pass them on.

Certain functions you enter and you exit. You seem to think that hitting the button again is the only way to exit, but the [EXIT] button is a dedicated function button for the purpose of returning to a previous mode. When you move into something like the CATEGORY SEARCH function, for example, (which is obviously a “sidebar” to the mode you are in) pressing either the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button again or the [EXIT] button will exit that function. - just FYI.

We think the Motif-series is already the greatest workstation on the planet… but we may be a little prejudiced :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 09, 2010 @ 11:32 PM
Aryn
Joined  06-25-2009

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2010 @ 11:34 AM
alejandro
Total Posts:  162
Joined  09-26-2006

Yamaha team, are you working on a tutorial DVD for Motif XF?

Thank you so much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2010 @ 05:29 PM
Aryn
Joined  06-25-2009

1. In Pattern Mode of Motif XF can play melody in real time using an arpeggiator right hand, or may work only as a simple sound ?

2. In Pattern Mode can change arpeggiators for melody when it plays in real time ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2010 @ 06:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1. In Pattern Mode of Motif XF can play melody in real time using an arpeggiator right hand, or may work only as a simple sound ?

2. In Pattern Mode can change arpeggiators for melody when it plays in real time ?

Neither question is clear, sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2010 @ 07:42 PM
Aryn
Joined  06-25-2009
Bad_Mister - 11 August 2010 06:23 PM

Neither question is clear, sorry.

When accompaniment go with Motif in Pattern Mode, with right hand can interpret a song in a live performance using arpeggiators?

Is it possible?

For example, as Pattern Mode here, with the difference that the right hand instead of sound simple, we use a arpeggiators when interpreting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5laqO_K4ynI

Excuse the translation !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2010 @ 02:32 PM
Aryn
Joined  06-25-2009

Can anyone offer an answer ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2010 @ 08:29 PM
Aryn