mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to create a one-finger custom arp?"

Posted on: June 09, 2010 @ 10:46 AM
scottylad
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-09-2009

Hello all.  I’m sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I am unable to find it.  I purchased the Masterclass DVD and the topic is not detailed there either.

I’d like to create my own simple step-sequence custom arp that is transposable across the keyboard - like the Motif’s own built-in arps (but without expanded articulation, etc.) Basically a musical phrase (motif!) that plays from the base note that you press.

This topic has eluded me.  I’ve heard a reference to having to build this in the sequencer. 

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2010 @ 12:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I’d like to create my own simple step-sequence custom arp that is transposable across the keyboard

The Motif XS does not have a “step” sequencer. It is all real time record.

But creating your own Arpeggios is a matter of recording the data to the XS sequencer (either SONG or PATTERN mode can be used), then converting the data (using the appropriate conversion type) to a User arpeggio.

The function is a TRACK JOB
Record the musical Phrase you want to turn into an arpeggio to a track of the sequencer.
Press [JOB]
Press [F5] TRACK
Select the JOB 07: PUT TRACK TO ARPEGGIO

Set the “MEASURE” region - for example, if you recorded an 8 measure phrase, set the range = 001-009; If you recorded a 12 measure phrase, set the range = 001-013;

If you used PATTERN mode, the SECTION and Track parameters will automatically be set to the last SECTION and Track you were working with.
If you used SONG mode the (source) Track parameter will automatically be set to the last Track you were working with.

Set the “ARP NO.” - there are 256 USER ARP locations, 001-256

Give the ARP a CATEGORY / SUB CATEGORY, if you wish

In the grid, under “ARP TR 1” the (source) TRACK will appear.
Move down to “CONVERT TYPE”, set this to ORG NOTES - this will mean that the Pattern will play your original notes just as you played them but you can transpose them to any key by touching the appropriate key (once it is converted to an arp).

Now that you have selected “ORG NOTES” as your Convert Type, the ORG NOTE parameter appears… move the cursor up to this box and set the KEY that you want this play in. Specifically set the Key that you want to play this phrase.

For example, if your Bass line is in the KEY of F#, you may want to put F#1 in the box. This means when F#1 is trigger (once this is converted to an arp) the data will respond with the original pitches that you recorded.  You will probably want to select a note in the left-hand region of the keyboard. You will be able to transpose the line by hitting keys above and below this note. Make sense?

Press [ENTER] to execute.

You have now created a USER ARP. This can be assigned to any VOICE by going to [VOICE] mode
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F2] ARP MAIN
Set the parameters to select the USER ARP number you created.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2010 @ 02:48 PM
scottylad
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-09-2009

Thanks so much for your reply.

What is the purpose of specifying the F#1 key in the Org Notes section though?  If the arp is transposable after converting to an arp, what purpose does this serve?  Is it still transposable across the entire keyboard by playing other keys after creation?  Or are additional steps required?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2010 @ 07:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I only suggest that because you said it was a bass line. If you specify the note F#5 it will playback the original notes when you press F#5. Try it and you will see (er, you will hear). If you played a bass line in the KEY of F# and you assign this to a C on the keyboard, anyone else playing the arp will think you don’t know what key you are in.

“Original Note” is called that for a reason.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2010 @ 08:12 AM
Rob'n
Total Posts:  153
Joined  10-30-2007

It is a great feature of the Motif.
I use a custom arp for the dancing-on-the-ceiling-arpeggio, having it transposed so that I trigger it with the top 3 keys of the Motif
(I say because I think it is a shame to reserve 1+1/2 octave just to play this riff, everyone else in the band says I do it because I can’t play it live :-) )
I recently used a custom arp for playing with my calliope sound.
And still I’m trying to come up with more possibilities to use it live, because I think it could add something extra to your playing instead of just taking something away, and it is fun to program these things.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS 2 hated features?
Next Topic:

Possibly New to the Motif ››