mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MM8 LEAD SOUNDS POLY ONLY.."

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 10:48 AM
steeler
Total Posts:  7
Joined  05-26-2010

a few months I have the Yamaha MM8.

THERE ARE NO LEAD MONOPHONIC

isn’t true?

midi implemention chart is set to mode 3.

midi messages do not work either through a master keyboard for this thing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 02:18 PM
Fozzer
Total Posts:  184
Joined  02-07-2010

It is an unfortunate fact that MIDI IN on the MM6/MM8 does not allow for control from a Master Keyboard....

The MM6/MM8 cannot be used as a “Sound Module” via MIDI.

Only MIDI OUT works!

It may be an intended Hardware/Software restriction.

Beware.

Paul....MO6 + MM6...;)..!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 03:24 PM
steeler
Joined  05-26-2010
Fozzer - 26 May 2010 02:18 PM

It is an unfortunate fact that MIDI IN on the MM6/MM8 does not allow for control from a Master Keyboard....

The MM6/MM8 cannot be used as a “Sound Module” via MIDI.

Only MIDI OUT works!

It may be an intended Hardware/Software restriction.

Beware.

Paul....MO6 + MM6...;)..!

The MM6/MM8 CAN be used as a “Sound Module” via MIDI.

THE MIDI IN works perfectly, I menage it with the m-audio oxygen 61 and everything works, (except mono-poly CC MIDI MESSAGE 126-127) soon will show a video ..

works:

traspose
tune
program

yet I did the tutorial in Italian because I’m Italian, soon I will write it in english with lots of videos ^_^

if you understand Italian, you can see the tutorial on my site

here it goes ^_^

Connect the MIDI OUT of a master (I used the M-AUDIO OXYGEN 61) to MIDI IN Yamaha MM8 magically happen a split bank and using the sounds of Yamaha selecting the sound you want, press dual button to have another sound; Then worked with the M-AUDIO OXYGEN 61 push buttons - and + and take a trip to the sounds of Yamaha split.

ON M-AUDIO OXYGEN 61:

press ADVANCED

press BANK LSB

type with the keyboard reference number of the sound bank put in
column bank LSB
(see manual MM6/MM8 voice list)

press enter

Now with the data buttons on the + and - take the trip in the sounds ^_^

see this example:

if the preset number is 5 means that the display of ‘M-AUDIO OXYGEN 61 the sound will be at number 4 because the’ M-AUDIO OXYGEN 61 starts from 0 (0-127)

we can see how you can be in two people playing two keyboards ^_^
ENJOY

Instrumental Hacking ®

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 03:41 PM
Fozzer
Joined  02-07-2010

Out of all my Keyboards and Sound modules only the MM6 cannot be “played” live via MIDI IN from any of my Master Keyboards MIDI OUT.

Connected to a Master Keyboard MIDI OUT, only the default Grand Piano can be played. It is not possible to select any other MM6 Voices in real time, via the MM6 front panel buttons.

So it cannot be “Duelled” live, together with a Master Keyboard (MO6, DX7, etc, etc), playing its own internal voices.

It is a well known restriction, with MM6/MM8 users.

We found that to our cost, after purchasing it.

The MM6/MM8 was intended as a stand-alone Keyboard, with the possibility of connecting to a Computer via USB, not as an additional, external sound Module, for live playing via MIDI IN/OUT.

We suspect that MIDI IN on the MM6/(MM8) was purposely crippled to prevent it being used as a cheap Sound Module.

Paul...MO6 + MM6...;)...!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 04:06 PM
steeler
Joined  05-26-2010

I’ll soon show you a video so you believe it.

Actually on stage is a slightly slow procedure, but it works !!

Connected to a Master Keyboard MIDI OUT, only the default Grand Piano can be played IT IS POSSIBLE to select any other MM6 Voices in real time, via the MM6 front panel buttons and via “master keyboard buttons ^_^

the fact remains:

THERE ARE NO SOUNDS MONOPHONIC

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 04:20 PM
Fozzer
Joined  02-07-2010
steeler - 26 May 2010 04:06 PM

I’ll soon show you a video so you believe it.

Actually on stage is a slightly slow procedure, but it works !!

Connected to a Master Keyboard MIDI OUT, only the default Grand Piano can be played IT IS POSSIBLE to select any other MM6 Voices in real time, via the MM6 front panel buttons and via “master keyboard buttons ^_^

Would I suspect that you are actually using a “MIDI Controller Keyboard” to operate the MM8, rather than conventional, multi-stacked, Workstation/Synthesizer/Arranger master Keyboards, fitted with 5-pin DIN MIDI IN/OUT Sockets?

Paul...MO6 + MM6...;)...!

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/366106

Quote:
Joshy
Total Posts:  1618
Joined 08-05-2007
[ pm ]

Re: MM6 MIDI?????

MSB and LSB refer to program and bank data sent via MIDI.  You can probably go to Roland’s website, and download a PDF version of your lost manual for free.

I’ve heard a lot of people on this forum say that the MIDI interface on the MM6 sucks, and it makes it almost impossible to control it from another keyboard, or to use it as a MIDI controler.  I don’t have an MM6, so I’ve never had the chance to test this myself.  I hope you figure it out man!
End Quote.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 04:38 PM
steeler
Joined  05-26-2010

M-Audio Oxygen 61 is a Midi Controller Keyboard.

http://tinyurl.com/2wscqnd

Yes, the MIDI cable is 5 pin. I bet that it will work with my Korg M1 because in a few days I do the test

Joshy: I will figure it out in a few days

Now I Am Uploading the VIDEO ^_^

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2010 @ 06:28 PM
steeler
Joined  05-26-2010

Here The Video ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwYPGP1ivw

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2010 @ 12:02 PM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007
steeler - 26 May 2010 10:48 AM

a few months I have the Yamaha MM8.

THERE ARE NO LEAD MONOPHONIC

isn’t true?

It’s true. There is no monophonic mode on the MM6/8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2010 @ 09:14 AM
steeler
Joined  05-26-2010

Damn it ! :(

However I must say that you can handle a module with the Korg M1 :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
gius.prenc
Joined  07-05-2010

Hi.

So, if I got it right, there is no way I can control the volumes of the MAIN, DUAL and SPLIT voices from the faders of an external MIDI controller, right?

Thanks.

Giuseppe.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2010 @ 11:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The MM6/MM8 has a second (separate) tone engine - here’s how it works.

There is a 16 PART/16 MIDI Channel tone engine that you can address via MIDI. When you playback a MIDI file you are addressing this 16 PART tone engine. It has 16 PART, one per MIDI channel.

Say you start a .MID file from an external source or from a USB stick connected directly to the MM6/MM8’s TO DEVICE jack.

There are 3 additional PARTS (called the panel Voices) that you can use to play on top of the MIDI file. You play these panel Voices via the MM6/MM8 keyboard. They are the “Main”, the “Dual” and the “Split” Voices. These are not accessible via MIDI and are there strictly for the human being standing in front of the keyboard to play along with. You can only control these via the MM6/MM8 itself, period.

Unlike a MO or a Motif or an S-series synth, the MM6 has a separate 16 PART tone engine to playback files - you don’t play one of the 16 - you have a separate engine that is not accessible via MIDI - only accessible via the MM6/MM8 keybed that YOU play.

If you have a MIDI file that calls for a PART to be monophonic, I believe if you send the MONO Control Change message CC126 with a value 127, that PART will behave in a Mono fashion. (At least according to the MIDI Implementation Chart). As to whether any of the panel Voices are mono, I would tend to doubt it as this would preclude the Main-Dual-Split paradigm of the panel Voice concept.

Sorry I no longer have an MM6 here to verify but I’m pretty sure you can check this out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2010 @ 11:45 AM
gius.prenc
Joined  07-05-2010

Thanks, very helpful!

I imagined it worked somehow like that.

Regards,

G.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2010 @ 04:34 PM
taos07
Total Posts:  5
Joined  08-21-2010

Does that mean we get 32 voice polyphony on both tone engines for a total of 64, or just 32 between both engines?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MM6 Record MIDI channels to Cubase
Next Topic:

Noise from MM6 During Recording? ››