mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sending sysex message to Motif classic"

Posted on: April 07, 2010 @ 12:46 AM
RetiredCatholic
Total Posts:  37
Joined  10-12-2003

Thanks for taking a look,

I’m experimenting with a midi controller and attempting to send system exclusive messages to the Motif, basically as a learning exercise.

I’m not getting too far too fast, so just hoping for a little guidance (I have looked at the Bad_mister posts on gm and other topics, so I may just be slow....)

Anyway, I believe I could send a regular cc message to update, say, the reverb setting in normal voice mode.  But since I’d like to access parameters beyond those available via cc, I looked in the data list and it seems like the format of the message should be something like this:

F0 start of the exclusive message
43 Yamaha manufacturer ID
10 Device number (is this correct for a motif 8?)
4C Model ID
40 Parameter high address (from parameter base address table on pg 46 of the data list)
01 Parameter Mid address from the same table
00 Parameter Low address
32 Which I think is hex for setting the reverb level to 50
F7 For the end of the exclusive message

You’ll never guess!  When I put this message in a midi track on channel 1 in Cubase 5 and run it, the reverb level is not changed on the motif.  (I have been able to record and then play back using the Motif’s knobs to adjust reverb, so I think it’s communicating, I’m thinking I must just be off on the sysex stuff)

If there is something obvious that I’m missing, I’d sure appreciate the guidance, and if there is some better way to get my arms around communicating with the motif, any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Gary

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2010 @ 01:09 AM
Frank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  11-05-2002

Frank take midi ox
and do revers engeniering
by push The knob.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2010 @ 04:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m experimenting with a midi controller and attempting to send system exclusive messages to the Motif, basically as a learning exercise.

Okay but since REVERB SEND level as you correctly point out is such a simple thing and has a dedicated CC091 - as long as you understand this, fine.

You have the product’s Model ID for the Motif wrong.

“4C” is the Product ID for an XG module (it appears in your Data List booklet because the PLG150 and PLG100 boards are XG compatible).

The Product Model ID for the Motif (Classic) is “6B”

The outline for a PARAMETER CHANGE message is as follows… Taken from the Data List booklet bottom-left column of page 45

Native Parameter Change format

It does not matter on what MIDI channel you place a SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE parameter change message - being a “system” message the entire system will see it - instead of a MIDI channel, there is a DEVICE NUMBER parameter which designates which Motif (in the instance you have multiple units) will respond. Say for example you want to change the REVERB SEND amount of the VOICE in PART 1 of the MIXING setup the message would be as follows:

F0 43 10 6B 37 pp 12 dd F7

F0 = Beginning of SYSEX
43 = Yamaha Manufacturer ID
10 = The ‘1’ is the parameter change, the ‘0’ is the Device Number (assuming you have just a single Motif, 0 is for you)
6B = the Motif Model ID
High
Mid
Low
Data Byte
F7 = End of SYSEX

And this would be indicated on page 59 of the Data List - under the heading for: MIDI PARAMETER CHANGE TABLE (MIX PART for Pattern, Song)

High Address = 37
Mid Adrress = pp or PART number, 00-0F for PARTS 1-16
Low Address = 12 parameter REVERB SEND

F0 43 10 6B 37 00 12 32 F7

Where,
00 = PART 1
32 = the Data Byte of 50 (a value of 50 in hexadecimal is figured by 16 goes into 50, “3” times with “2” remaining)

If you need to set the Reverb Send of PART 2, by convention and for convenice it is standard operating procedure to place the System Message on the same track just right under it, you would address PART 2 by making the MID ADDRESS (pp) = “01” for PART 2, “02” for PART 3, “03” for PART 4 and so on through to “0F” for PART 16. This way when you need to look and find a System message they are all together on one track… They can address any PART and channel from any Track. That is the nature of a System message. This is a key difference between a SYSTEM type message as opposed to a CHANNEL Message (the family to which “Control Change” messages belong). Channel message must be placed on the specific track addressing the specific MIDI channel. System message can be on any track - they do not have a channel, the message is specific for a specific destination.

Hope that helps.

Image Attachments
ParameterChange.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2010 @ 08:03 PM
RetiredCatholic
Total Posts:  37
Joined  10-12-2003

Dear Mr. Bad_Mister,

Thanks very much - this is exactly the guidance I was looking for - it works like a charm and has opened a ton of control for me.  Thanks too for the gentle encouragement to read the data list a little more closely - that’ll help too.  I don’t want to overdo it, buy you’re a real asset - we all know it, I hope Yamaha does too.

thanks again.

Gary

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ HPF Cutoff
Next Topic:

catch midi signal on performance/pattern/song/whatever ››