mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Complete MIDI control change list in Motif Rack ES ?"

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 09:36 AM
killerisme
Total Posts:  24
Joined  10-19-2008

Hello, I would like to ask if somebody can link a complete list with all the control change numbers that the ES Rack can receive, and what they affect in the edit mode (I assume the rack can only receive, but not trasmit all the CC’s as well).

I tried to look at the last page of the Data List Appendix, and at the Owner’s Manual (page 93 - MIDI Messages Transmitted/Recognized).
It seems like the rack can receive only a few control changes.

I’m not sure if I’m right, but I would say it isn’t true!
For example, if I send CC 82, I get the arpeggio switch on/off.
This is the one I can easily notice, since I can see the arpeggio led blinking.
Another one I found is the CC 18, which controls the Assign A (in Voice - Common - General)

I guess this may work also with other CC’s, since every time I send one of them, i notice MIDI activity on the rack, but I can’t find what it exactly does.

So, where can I find a complete list?
Thank you so much!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 02:59 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can get a complete list of MIDI Channel Control Change messages from the http://www.midi.org

MIDI Chart

The Motif-Rack XS can send any Control Change number from 1-95
What you need to know is not all cc numbers have a fixed function, some are General Purpose (which can be used for particular functions inside of a product).

Oops sorry, you have a Motif-Rack ES… my bad, the ES does not send any Control Change messages, it can receive them but it does not transmit any… the Rack XS does because it has assignable knobs, but the Rack ES (as I recall did not transmit any Control Change messages out via MIDI).

To get a handle on MIDI Control Change messages and what they do, you can view the Chart… that said, the Motif-Rack ES uses some of the non-fixed function messages for things like ARP ON/OFF Switch

General Purpose Control 1 (cc016) = Assign 1
General Purpose Control 2 (cc017) = Assign 2
General Purpose Control 3 (cc018) = Assigna A
General Purpose Control 4 (cc019) = Assign B
Foot Switch Assign = cc088
Arp Switch = cc090
Arp Hold = cc089

You may also find some functions setup to receive and react to particular control messages via MIDI - the most common are outlined in the Motif-Rack ES Owner’s Manual on page 105-106

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 04:49 PM
Lazerlike42
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-17-2010

Let me try to rephrase the original question to try to get at what the OP was looking for.

If we look at the appendix for the manual (not the data list), it lists various MIDI control numbers and their functions.  Manyh of these are the same that are provided in the GM specifications.

However, there are other control change numbers that will cause the Rack to do different things.  The OP, for example, has said that transmitting MIDI CC #82 turns on the arpeggio.

The manual doesn’t go into these.  The Data List does list a lot of these features, but not according to control number, only according to the actual hex string that triggers it.  For example, page 62 of the Data List seems to tell us how to turn the arpeggio on and off via a hex string parameter change, using HI/MID/LO values of “40 70 16”. 

The question that the OP (and I) have is this: where can we get a list of what all of the MIDI CC#s actually *do*? 

Let me phrase this another way.  If I send CC# 22, it will trigger the Ribbon destination effect.  If I send CC #16, it will trigger the ASN1 destination effect.  If I send CC#1, it will trigger the Mod Wheel destination effect.  We know these because they are identified in the edit mode under CTL SET.  Yet there seem to be others, like #82.  Where can we get a list of all of them?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 04:59 PM
killerisme
Joined  10-19-2008

Thank you for your reply, Bad_Mister!
I’ll try to clarify my request, since my english isn’t perfect :)

That’s right, the ES Rack doesn’t send CC’s.
Anyway what i want to do is sending control change messages TO the rack.
What I’m looking for is not the standard MIDI chart, but a chart with all the control changes “that the ES rack can recognize”.

I’m not expecting it to recognize every MIDI message, but at least I would like to get a exhaustive list.
The informations in the MIDI implementation chart and the Owner’s Manual are very approximate and incomplete! (Try to see the two examples above-mentioned, which are not reported in the manual ... maybe there may be more, that’s what I was asking for: for example a list with the 1-95 non-fixed function!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 05:10 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

- the most common are outlined in the Motif-Rack ES Owner’s Manual on page 105-106

The other assignments can be viewed in UTILITY mode
Press [UTILITY]
PAGE to the [CTRL ASN] screen

Really cc82? Sorry I have not had a Rack ES in a couple of years so I cannot verify but seems like it would tell you on the screen above if that is where you programmed it.

I remember it used cc087 to Select ARP 1-5:

from the Power User on Motif-Rack ES ARPS...............

Assigning a MIDI Controller to select Arps in Real-time

As mentioned earlier in the article, you can assign a MIDI controller to select the arpeggio pattern in real-time. Each program (Voice, Performance, and Multi) can have up to five different arpeggio types associated with it. I mentioned earlier that you can move between these five types by pressing the front panel PAGE [<]/[>] buttons. However, this may not be convenient when performing or recording due to the physical position of your unit so the Motif-Rack ES has a method for you to either increment through them 1>2>3>4>5, or you can assign a controller where a specific value (direct) will recall a specific pattern. Here’s how it works.

In [UTILITY] you will find the “CtrlAsn” screen. The parameters that control this function are “ArpAsgn” (arpeggio assign) and “ArpAsgnMode” (arpeggio assign mode). The default ArpAsgn control number is 87 – you can change this as necessary but cc87 is as good as any – because it does not have a defined function in MIDI…so you can use it for this. You will be able to select either “inc” (increment) or “direct” as the Arp Assign Mode.

INC – With this setting anytime, any value for controller 87 is received the unit will increment to the next higher numbered arpeggio, 1-5.

DIRECT – any value for controller 87 between 0-25 will select Arpeggio 1, 26-50 will select Arpeggio 2, 51-76 will select Arpeggio 3, 77-101 Arpeggio 4 and 102-127 will select Arpeggio 5.

If you have a foot switch, “INC” might be the best. Set the foot switch to send cc087 and when you step on it the arpeggio will advance. If the foot switch is a momentary type (like a sustain pedal), when you press it down it will advance, when you release it, it will advance. If you have an assignable button on your controller this would also be a good selection.

If you have an assignable sweep pedal, knob control or control slider that you can assign to this parameter, then the “DIRECT” might suit your needs better. A typical knob will sweep from 7 o’clock (minimum) to 5 o’clock (maximum). This translates to:

7-9 on the clock dial = Arpeggio 1
9-11 on the clock dial = Arpeggio 2
11-1 on the clock dial = Arpeggio 3
1-3 on the clock dial = Arpeggio 4
3-5 on the clock dial = Arpeggio 5

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 05:15 PM
killerisme
Joined  10-19-2008

Lazerlike42 that’s great !!
That’s exactly what i wanted to say, but i wasn’t able to explain in english! You wrote it very clear!
Thank you!

Another one I found is CC #16 = Assign 1

so I guess it may be like

CC#16 = Assign 1
CC#17 = Assign 2 ??
CC#18 = Assign A
CC#19 = Assign B ??

That’s only an assumption, because unfortunately at the moment I can’t try it, I only have a MC-909 as a controller, mapping into Ableton Live (which doesn’t exactly support MIDI standards) which is sending remote controls to the ES rack… sounds complicated, and in fact it is !! ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 05:20 PM
killerisme
Joined  10-19-2008

Bad Mister are you sure?

In the english Owner’s Manual:
page 105 = main specifications
page 106 = part of the index (letters A-E)

In the italian manual:
page 105 = main specifications
page 106 = some translation addings in the Data List

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 05:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry again I was referencing the Motif-Rack XS, my bad… the list of most common Control Change numbers with a dedicated purpose is on page 93 of your RACK ES manual: Control Change functions page 93

Those that are for General Purpose are up to you what they do… Yamaha has defaulted some of them to things like controlling the ARP SWITCH, the ARP HOLD, ARP SELECT, etc. Those, as mentioned above, are setup in your UTILITY mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 05:31 PM
Lazerlike42
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-17-2010

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2010 @ 05:48 PM
killerisme
Joined  10-19-2008

Thank you again, now it’s clearer!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2011 @ 06:17 PM
eprayer711
Total Posts:  4
Joined  07-24-2011

Hi everybody Im new to the site.I have read this thread over and over and tried the instructions here regarding changing the arp with CC. I have a motif xs6 keyboard thats probably the reason its not working.But Ive read the manual looked the web up and down and I still cannt figure it out. Im trying to change the arps 1-5 on the Motif xs using midi cc via Pro tools.Pro Tools gives me the option of picking a controller but I cannt find where I set the arps up in the Motif.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2011 @ 11:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Hi everybody Im new to the site.I have read this thread over and over and tried the instructions here regarding changing the arp with CC. I have a motif xs6 keyboard thats probably the reason its not working.But Ive read the manual looked the web up and down and I still cannt figure it out. Im trying to change the arps 1-5 on the Motif xs using midi cc via Pro tools.Pro Tools gives me the option of picking a controller but I cannt find where I set the arps up in the Motif.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

answered in your other post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2014 @ 11:56 PM
sheriffderek
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-23-2014

I just bought an EX rack, and it has 2 manuals. The main manual looks much like the ES manual and has about 10~ or so CC#’s mentioned but not the 3 I actually want. The companion data-list manual has all of the details on everything, but it’s Control list seems to be incorrect. It lists about 30+ things that are mostly wrong as far as I can tell.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/motifrackxs_en_dl_c0.pdf

Page 53.

Pretty weird, unless I’m looking in the wrong place. Is “Controller Set Destination” the wrong list to be referring to? This stuff is usually super basic.

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 11.52.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-12 at 11.52.18 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif ES Rack Operating system upgrade
Next Topic:

Control Sets ››