mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Review: Digital Sound Factory Steinway Model L Grand Piano"

Posted on: March 09, 2010 @ 04:50 PM
karlhp
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-11-2007

Hello,

I recently bought the Digital Sound Factory Steinway Model L Grand Piano voice library for MOTIF XS.

I found it difficult to decide, which Steinway library to buy. Given the overwhelmingly positive feedback on the above library, I decided on its favor.

However, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Is this the case with the above library?

If, like me, you are trying to decide or are simply interested, find out more by reading the attached review.

NB!
The review is ca. 1700 words (bit over 2 pages) so I cannot post it as free text here. A PDF is attached instead.

File Attachments
Steinway Model L Grand Piano review.pdf  (File Size: 202KB - Downloads: 3522)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2010 @ 06:53 PM
T4MH
Total Posts:  169
Joined  10-20-2008
karlhp - 09 March 2010 04:50 PM

Hello,

I recently bought the Digital Sound Factory Steinway Model L Grand Piano voice library for MOTIF XS.

I found it difficult to decide, which Steinway library to buy. Given the overwhelmingly positive feedback on the above library, I decided on its favor.

However, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Is this the case with the above library?

If, like me, you are trying to decide or are simply interested, find out more by reading the attached review.

NB!
The review is ca. 1700 words (bit over 2 pages) so I cannot post it as free text here. A PDF is attached instead.

Thank you for this detailed report!  I will consider this before I purchase.

T4MH

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2010 @ 08:19 PM
tuquoque
Total Posts:  563
Joined  08-15-2007

Thank you for the review.

You said “In my opinion it is one of the best libraries out there for MOTIF XS grand piano”. I’m interested what other voice banks you have tried. How does DSF compare to K-sounds piano 1?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2010 @ 01:02 AM
xyzzyx
Total Posts:  132
Joined  12-08-2005

Wow, this is what I call a detailed review. Thanks.

-- Julien

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2010 @ 07:59 PM
karlhp
Joined  07-11-2007
tuquoque - 09 March 2010 08:19 PM

Thank you for the review.

You said “In my opinion it is one of the best libraries out there for MOTIF XS grand piano”. I’m interested what other voice banks you have tried. How does DSF compare to K-sounds piano 1?

I was looking for a high quality Steinway voice for MOTIF XS. Steinway has some hype about it but if you fall into the sound, then that’s it. Therefore, I only had the choice between K-Sounds Piano 1 and the DSF Model L that was reviewed. The close atmosthere sound was why I chose the DSF. Even though, as I have read about the K-Sounds alternative, the K-Sounds original samples are also close atmosphere recordings -> you can edit the voice to suite your needs.

I have not used K-Sounds Piano 1 or 2. Both sound very good, especially given the Chopin demo song. Of course, only using it can really show how the voice really performs. I’ve been thinking about buying it but I will likely have no use for two of them, even though I have a hard time resisting :) Besides, I have somewhat other priorities for another year or so…

As for other piano voice libs, I have used several and not only on MOTIF. I have also tested the S90XS (Yamaha S6), the all new CP1 (CFIIIS) whitch is in a class of it’s own. I also have a real grand and a pianino here at home, so I can compare this and that.

Currently I’m saving for a well maintained second hand Steinway D to replace the existing grand, hopefully in 2011. That takes precedence, obviously.

BR,

KarlHP

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2010 @ 08:07 PM
msavard
Total Posts:  200
Joined  07-22-2004

Wouldn’t it be cool to rig something up where you could log into a site, play your (motif)keyboard and it would transfer the MIDI over the internet to the midi in of a Motif on the other side with whatever sound set you wanted loaded up. It would then stream back over the internet so you could hear it. Granted the quality wouldn’t be the best, but maybe something could be rigged up where an Audio file would be saved with full quality that you could download.

Just dreaming at work...better wake back up…

Matt

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2010 @ 10:16 PM
karlman23
Total Posts:  167
Joined  09-30-2007

There’s also the Bolder Piano Steinway Model D for the XS. Just came out recently. Haven’t tried it yet. Demos sound good though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2010 @ 10:18 AM
flnick
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-17-2009

hi,i just got the steinway model l too.i think it’s the best piano sample yet!!i am not by far the best piano player but for styles like country and southern rock the sample works great.i like the concert and the bright piano the best,i was using the s90 sample but now the l is my main stage piano.trust me,i blew a ton of money on keyfax for k sounds and the virtual piano and they dont compare to the model L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2010 @ 04:24 AM
karlhp
Joined  07-11-2007
flnick - 12 March 2010 10:18 AM

hi,i just got the steinway model l too.i think it’s the best piano sample yet!!i am not by far the best piano player but for styles like country and southern rock the sample works great.i like the concert and the bright piano the best,i was using the s90 sample but now the l is my main stage piano.trust me,i blew a ton of money on keyfax for k sounds and the virtual piano and they dont compare to the model L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m happy that this lib works for you.

I also like the sound of the L piano library, that is why I ultimately chose it. There is no question, if you demand something from a piano voice/lib, this one can basically deliver if you are OK with some editing on the voices.

I still think there is room for an improved piano though. The voice editing would deliver better result in an earlier process stage.

KarlHP

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Synth Strings, Pads, Synth Brass for ES / XS / XF
Next Topic:

Bomb sound... ››