mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PlgVh-100 question"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 21, 2010 @ 05:45 PM
eljani5
Total Posts:  24
Joined  09-11-2002

just installed the plugin to my motif classic 7 and it works nice. I’m in pattern mode. How do I control the volume of the backup vocals, I wanna bring ‘em up a bit to almost match my lead vocal and my other question is, can I punch the Vh in and out rather than harmonizing the whole song? for example Lead VX during the verse and Harmony in the Chorus.... thanks in advance if anyone could help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2010 @ 01:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There is a parameter that sets the balance between LEAD (L) and HARMONY (H)

While in EDIT
• Press [COMMON]/ [F6] Effect/ [SF2] PLG-EF.
• You can view the edit parameters of the VH board.
• Use the right cursor to select the page with the LowerG.Dpt (Lower Gender Depth) and the Lead/Harm (Lead/Harmony) balance parameters in the right column.
• Adjusts the balance between the “lead” and the PLG 100-VH’s vocal harmonies.
• Set the L=H parameter to taste

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2010 @ 03:35 AM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

How do you use the plgvh in song mode and have the harmony just come in on the chorus? or anytime I want it to come in? i’ve converted a pattern chain to song and now I want to sing along with what I’ve recorded and have the harmonies come in on the chorus and sometimes in the verse?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2010 @ 12:33 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can assign a MIDI Channel to control the HARMONY parts, and you can record notes on that track, and it will Voice the harmonies for you. MIDI data is all that is necessary to control the harmony parts, you can set the PART’s Voice to 0 Volume, you only need the MIDI data to trigger the harmonies.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2010 @ 10:17 PM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

Thanks Bad_Mister for your expertise, can you please tell me play by play how to do it on the motif, what buttons to press etc? I Know, imma newbie at this, I want to be able to use the PLGVH-100 for solo shows, I’ve started recording cover tunes aswell as originals and all I need now is my vocals being backed up by PLGVH-100, do you have anyother suggestions that might help me would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2010 @ 12:25 AM
Bif
Total Posts:  774
Joined  08-18-2003

eljani5,

I use the PLG100VH in my Motif ES to get harmonies along with songs I’ve sequenced. I’ll try to get you going in the right direction.

At the beginning of your song (and on the same midi channel as your VH is set to receive on), insert an EVENT TYPE ‘Control Change’ #99 (with ‘Data’ set to ‘000’).
After that, insert another EVENT TYPE ‘Control Change’ #98 (with ‘Data’ set to ‘000’).
These two control changes will allow the VH to receive ‘harmony on’ and ‘harmony off’ midi messages.
To turn ‘harmony on’, insert a midi ‘Control Change’ #006 (with ‘Data’ set to ‘000’).
To turn ‘harmony off’, insert a midi ‘Control Change’ #006 (with ‘Data’ set to ‘000’).

I put ‘Control Change’ #99 at the first clock tick of my song, followed by ‘Control Change’ #98 at the second clock tick and then ‘Control Change’ #006 at the third tick (with ‘Data’ set to ‘000’ or ‘127’ depending on whether or not I want harmony at the beginning of the song).

Of course, all this stuff is entered in Event Edit mode. It’s pretty easy to have your harmonies come in and out as you desire.
(and they’re always on pitch!)

Let me know if you have questions. Glad to help you out.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2010 @ 02:24 PM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

thanks bif, will do and will let you know if it works, appreciate it, standby.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2010 @ 02:43 PM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

ok, i’m in song mode, track 15 will be for my vh all the other tracks are used and track 4 is me playing live piano (for this song) so I start here

1. Edit mode
2. Insert

What do I do from here?

SONG

001: 1 : 000

NOTE -mC3

GATE - 000:086

VELO - 086

event type
NOTE
change
set

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2010 @ 06:33 PM
Bif
Joined  08-18-2003

eljani5,

Go to track 15.
‘Edit’
‘Insert’
Scroll down to ‘Event Type’. It will probably be defaulted to ‘Note’. Change from ‘Note’ to ‘Control Change’.
Then, cursor up to set the clock tick where you want this to occur.
Then, cursor to the right to select the control number. Set this to 99.
Then, cursor right and set the data field to ‘000’.
Then select ‘Set’.
Repeat this process to insert control number 98 and control 006.

Also, I had a mistake in my previous post (done from memory).
Control change 006 with data set to ‘000’ turns harmony on and with data set to ‘127’ it turns it off.

Also, you’ll have to set the midi channel for plg100vh to channel 15. You’ll also have to record your chords on this channel too. This is how the plg will know how to harmonize.

See if this gets you further along. I’ll be glad to help.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2010 @ 06:14 PM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

How do you set the midi channel for plg100vh?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2010 @ 12:14 AM
Bif
Joined  08-18-2003

From ‘Song’ mode, select the ‘Mixing’ button.

Select the ‘Effect’ tab.

Move your cursor to the left side of the display under ‘EF Part’ (stands for effect part). It’s probably defaulted to ‘off’. Use the data wheel and set it to ‘Part AD’ (this is the AD input on the back of the Motif where you’ve plugged in your mic).

Cursor to the right to ‘PLG EF’ then use the data wheel to select what you want the PLG VH to do (you will want to use ‘Chordal’).

Now you will see a new tab available over the ‘SF3’ button that says ‘PLG EF’. Press ‘SF3’ and it will take you to the PLG VH parameters. On the first page you will set the Harmony channel to 15.

You’ll also want to scroll through these pages to see what other settings are available (like the # of harmony parts).

You’re getting closer to getting it going.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

So I started fresh with a new song, im using track 8 to set my midi for plgvh-100. I had followed the steps you had told me to do but the chordal effect is still on the whole time, I also recorded the chords on track 8 using piano but I dont want it to be heard, what am i missing here? hmmm....thanks for your patience I hope im almost there, let me know plse thanks bif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2010 @ 07:53 PM
Bif
Joined  08-18-2003

Since you’ve gotten this far and you’re now getting chordal harmony, you are almost there!

To turn the harmony on and off, you’ll need to insert ‘Control Change’ #006 at whatever clock tick you want harmony on or off.  ‘Control Change’ #006 with ‘Data’ set to ‘000’ turns harmony on and with ‘Data’ set to ‘127’ it turns it off.

Since you don’t want to hear your piano part that is playing on channel 8, just set the volume for track (under ‘Mixing’) to zero. The midi data will still be there for the PLG VH to figure out harmony parts, and you won’t lose polyphony either.

If we get desperate here, I could email you a file with one of my songs. You could then get into ‘Event Edit’ mode and look under the hood to see what’s going on.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2010 @ 08:48 PM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

Yeah pretty desperate, gotta show im getting ready for beginning of april, really appreciate the fast response and help, thanks Greg.

John.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2010 @ 10:56 PM
eljani5
Joined  09-11-2002

Ok I got it to work! cool,but, after I saved it, turned it off and on, I realized I had to set the harmony channel again to the channel I had selected the plgvh-100 to play thru (track 8). it defaulted to channel 1, it also has the harmony’s through out the whole song again, what do I do? thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2010 @ 11:52 PM
Bif
Joined  08-18-2003

Since I own a ES and you have a Classic I’m not exactly sure if I can answer with certainty. I do have a couple ideas.

Did you save your ‘Mixing’ after you set the PLG VH to midi channel 8? If you didn’t save the ‘Mixing’ to your song sequence, what you experienced will happen (harmony throughout the song).

On the ES I can make assign any midi channel to any track (for instance, track 8 could be assigned to midi channel 1). I don’t know if the Classic works this way or not (I assume it does).

If for some reason you have to leave the PLG VH assigned to midi channel 1 (and if you can’t assign a different track to midi channel 1), then put all your PLG VH events on track 1 and play along live on another track.

I don’t always follow the forum as closely as I used to but I’m trying to watch this thread often to get you up and running.

Let me know what you come up with.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2