mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Why cant i record my motif play into logic???HELP"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 01, 2010 @ 08:04 PM
vm113
Total Posts:  15
Joined  01-01-2010

I am having a very annoying problem. I cant seem to fix this. Ive been reading both manuals forever now and i cant get it. I have a XS8, i use logic with my macbook. The motif is connected to logic thru MLan via firewire cable. When i try to record a voice/song into logic, it records. But when i switch the voice on the motif, the earlier recorded part in the switches voices along with the motif, even if i start a new track. If i turn the motif off, nothing plays. The recorded part only plays the instument i have loaded into motif. When i try recording into GarageBand, everything works fine. Every track records the voice the motif was programmed on. I dont get it, its driving me nuts! i hope someone can understand this and helppp me please!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2010 @ 02:12 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

WE discussed installing the firmware update in the XS have you done that? Are you in Song Mode on the XS? Have you created External MIDI tracks and set their port to the XS’ Port #1 and corresponding MIDI channel for each track? And, is the S connected to an Amp or powered speakers?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2010 @ 03:16 AM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

Firmware is updated. I use voice mode on the xs, but if i record an xs song i made into logic, it plays my song with different instruments in the place of the instruments i used. I create external tracks, and set the port#1. My xs is connected to powered speakers. I feel like giving up. i bought logic to record and edit the xs, but i havent recorded anything in months because idk what the hell is goin on! i find myself using garageband to record my tracks because it records every instrument i load in xs in each track i create, when i have full logic studio! I downloaded the YSFW, and my system doesnt recognize it. So i tried your other MLAN tutorial and still i cant get logic to record more than one xs instrument thats loaded up. I just feel screwed over by logic or something, it just wont let me work! i dont know what to do, so frustrated! Im glad i found you i hope you can help me before i go crazy and give up on logic!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2010 @ 02:26 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, first: when I first bought Logic and attempted to setup my XS, there was precious little information available on how to do it properly. It was a three months ordeal for me. The good news is that the manual you referenced for the YSFW and Logic 9 actually does work.

They key to getting things to work is to 1) follow the instructions exatly (point by point). That means, if you are following step #3 for instance and it isn’t working or you do not understand it, you do not go on the the next step. That needs to be resolved first. And, 2) you never go backwards. (That is, the YSFW Is The Driver you should be using). Installing additional mLAN drivers not only confuses the issue, and the both of us, it is very possible that they confilct with one another.

if i record an xs song i made into logic, it plays my song with different instruments in the place of the instruments i used. . I create external tracks, and set the port#1

I don’t quite see how this is possible. That is, is it important to not only select your MIDI Port#1 but also the MIDI Channel for each each. Example: for XS Track #1, select in Logic Port #1, MIDI Channel #1; For XS Track #2, select in Logic Port #1, MIDI Channel #2 and, so on for each track… And, the Port #1 name should be the name of the XS device you created in AMS, if you followed the manual…

In addition, make sure that Logic’s Preferences>MIDI>Reset Messages>Send Used Instrument Settings On Reset is unchecked… Do the same for Settings>MIDI>Send After Loading Project>Send Used Instrument Settings…

I downloaded the YSFW, and my system doesn’t recognize it.

It is not possible for your system to not recognize it. It is possible for it not to be properly installed. Translation: it has nothing to do with user error but, sometimes, for whatever reason, the driver does not properly install. In that case, you must follow the instructions in the drivers PDF to uninstall it and reinstall it… In fact, you need to uninstall every and any other mLAN driver you installed as well and reinstall only the YSFW.

And, again let me stress using Song Mode in the XS. Also, of course, that song should be saved in the XS which will save and recall your particular instrument / track settings.

i bought logic to record and edit the xs

I’m not quite sure how you are using the word ‘edit’ here but, Logic cannot edit the XS. It can record the Audio form the XS and edit, mix, effect and master it. Perhaps, that’s what you are referring to…

Finally, post a pic of your Audio MIDI Setip Audio Window and Midi Window please…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2010 @ 07:39 PM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

Ok obviously you can tell im kinda new to this so thanks for helping me now back to the post, ive just updated everything i could. Ive set up the YSFW with logic 9, but SAME problem. I have it on port#1, with a new channel for every track, and it STILL wont record more than the instrument programmed on the motif. I try recording a song, it records..and when i turn to the next song on the motif, logic plays the next song instead of the one recorded. Why cant i plug in the motif, set it up and record with logic? Why is this so freakin difficult?? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Am i makings some kind of rookie mistake somewhere? Why does garageband have no problem recording every track and every instrument i throw at it and logic just wont do anything for me??  Unbelievably frustrating!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2010 @ 01:17 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I asked for you to post a pic. Can you please do that? Also a pic of the Library in Logic and its port settings would be great…

And you need to be very clear as to whether you are talking about recording MIDI or audio.

I do not use Garage Band. I’ve deleted it from my mac so, I cannot speak to what you doing in it or in Logic right now… But, in general:

and it STILL wont record more than the instrument programmed on the motif.

Audio or MIDI? And, are you record enabling more than one track? This of course, is not normal behavior

I try recording a song, it records..and when i turn to the next song on the motif, logic plays the next song instead

again, not really possible. Logic cannot “play” what has not been recorded into it. The next song in the Motif can be ported “thru” Logic, but it ‘plays” what has been recorded into it…
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2010 @ 09:36 PM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

I rebooted my system so im reinstalling logic right now. I will post the pics when i set it up. I am recording MIDI no audio. What I want to do is record the voices from the motif into logic. And with the songs, im serious it was doing that. I recorded song 1 into logic. It was recorded and played fine. Then i switched to song 2 on the motif. I pressed play on logic, and it played my song 2 instead of the recorded song 1. Now I did everything on your tutorial, but i dont quite understand the the ouput select part, what should a/d input and mlan be set too? They are currently on L&R;. But i tried switching to m1&2;and same result.  Idk if im making a rookie mistake somewhere or theres really a problem here, cuz i seen to be doing everything by the book. i will post whatever pics u need shortly, thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2010 @ 11:51 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

What I want to do is record the voices from the motif into logic

??? Terminology is everything. A Voice is a composite of the various samples, settings and effects within the XS. MIDI can trigger those voices but, it cannot record them. The Program Messages and Control Messages that call up those voices can be recorded into Logic. Even simpler, they can be either stored in the XS songs themselves of in the XS Editor.

The audio produced by those voices, (when triggered by MIDI) can be recorded onto audio tracks within Logic…

The rookie mistake, as it were, is to be clear on exactly what you are trying to do and what a voice is and is not; what MIDI is and is not; what audio is and is not. As stated earlier. Logic cannot ‘Play’ anything not previously recorded into it. I don’t really know of a stronger word than impossible and i’ve already used it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2010 @ 12:12 AM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

hmm ok so i tried an audio track and every track did record a different motif voice. But i dont need the recording in audio waveform, i need it in regular blocks. How do i get it to record in blocks? I just tried to record a song into logic again using audio track. it did record, but does the same thing..i recorded song 1 and when i turned to motif to song 2, i hit play on logic and song 2 played over the recorded song 1.  I dont want to record using audio waveforms, i need the blocks because i only make instrument tracks. Whats the purpose of external tracks if i have to use audio tracks to record my motif? Can you tell me if its really gonna be such a hassle using logic with the motif? Will it get smoother with more experience? Is there a program more compatible with the motif, or is this how it is with daw’s? Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2010 @ 01:26 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

What is a block? It doesn’t appear in the Motif manual. It doesn’t appear in the Logic manual. The only way we have to communicate is via the terminology of the manuals: not something that we make up. You can record MIDI. You can record Audio. That’s it…

Look, I’m really trying to help but, I went through all this above.  It gets easier when you understand what MIDI is and isn’t and what Audio is and isn’t…

Logic is a sophisticated DAW. So it the XS… And, there unfortunately are a small number of things that must be checked and set in order for things to work correctly. For example, we haven’t hit on this but, Page 270 of the XS manual details a Quick Setup Function which must be changed depending on whether you are using the XS by itself (not using Logic), recording the XS Sequencer into Logic; playing the XS Live into Logic (no sequencer); or, recording Arps into Logic. The XS can do so many things and Logic can do so many things. You just have to know what you are trying to do.

And, I reiterate. Following the mLAN, Logic 9 manual word for word, you will be able to record MIDI into Logic without any problem. I don’t know where the breakdown is and in order to- we both must be speaking to same language…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2010 @ 08:01 AM
kr=d+=+
Total Posts:  125
Joined  03-20-2009

Ok obviously you can tell im kinda new to this so thanks for helping me now back to the post, ive just updated everything i could. Ive set up the YSFW with logic 9, but SAME problem. I have it on port#1, with a new channel for every track, and it STILL wont record more than the instrument programmed on the motif. I try recording a song, it records..and when i turn to the next song on the motif, logic plays the next song instead of the one recorded. Why cant i plug in the motif, set it up and record with logic? Why is this so freakin difficult?? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Am i makings some kind of rookie mistake somewhere? Why does garageband have no problem recording every track and every instrument i throw at it and logic just wont do anything for me??  Unbelievably frustrating!

Don’t have the time to read profondly, but for me it’s seems you dont turn program change off under logic.
Also on the motif you can turn this off under utility.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2010 @ 11:58 PM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

Ive stop working on this because i couldnt figure it out but im back at it again. So im using song mode to record into logic, and im able to record the 16 tracks. But i still have the same problem. Just like when i was using voices, the recorded instruments on the track change when i switch songs on the motif. I recorded tracks into logic using song mode, and they record fine but it doesnt save as that particular instrument i used. When i switched to song 2, logic played my recorded parts in the instruments that were loaded on song 2, and so on. Im only getting sound from the instruments loaded up on the motif. If i turn off the motif theres no sound coming from my logic tracks. Do you understand what im saying? Because i just cant get this. How do i make logic save what im playin with the instrument i played it with????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2010 @ 01:02 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Do you understand what im saying?

No…

How do i make logic save what im playin with the instrument i played it with?

As I mentioned above:

And, again let me stress using Song Mode in the XS. Also, of course, that song should be saved in the XS which will save and recall your particular instrument / track settings.

Save the song in the XS and call it up everytime you want to play that song via Logic… Or, save is the the XS editor under the name of the song and recall it as needed...

If i turn off the motif theres no sound

Exactly, this is normal behvior. The XS is your sound card if you re using mLAN. Turning down the XS means that you will hear nothing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2010 @ 01:31 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

If you do not want to se the XS to save voice settings, AND, if you have imported the XS environment into Logic, undo the setting I gave you above- ala

n addition, make sure that Logic’s Preferences>MIDI>Reset Messages>Send Used Instrument Settings On Reset is unchecked… Do the same for Settings>MIDI>Send After Loading Project>Send Used Instrument Settings…

and click on each track’s header icon, calling up the XS voices in the resulting pop-up

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2010 @ 09:42 PM
vm113
Joined  01-01-2010

Ok now im more confused. Your saying i can hear what i recorded only when i have that song loaded up on the motif? I need to record what i play into logic, edit, and then burn onto a cd. I cant do that if logic will only play whats recorded when i have the motif on. I just unplugged the firewire cable, and what i recorded has no sound. It should play thru the laptop speakers, i change sound to default output, i need to hear what i record, i dont. Did you not have this problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2010 @ 02:12 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Did you not have this problem?

No.

I need to record what i play into logic, edit, and then burn onto a cd. I cant do that if logic will only play whats recorded when i have the motif on.

Again incorrect.

I just unplugged the firewire cable, and what i recorded has no sound.

That’s correct. If you are recording MIDI, everything is working properly.

It should play thru the laptop speakers,

That’s incorrect- you cannot record MIDI onto External MIDI Tracks and hear them if the XS is disconnected...

i need to hear what i record

If you need to hear the output of XS when it is disconnected, then record it as audio onto audio tracks…

ps., this is why I went through the long spiel above about understanding the difference between audio and MIDI, as well as determining what you want to do.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2