mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "motif rack with plg 150 dx and plg 150 an"

Posted on: December 31, 2009 @ 12:34 PM
cerrone6
Total Posts:  6
Joined  12-31-2009

i have the dx and an plg cards in slot 1 and slot 2 of my motif rack.  i have the motif patches midnam files working fine in protools hd on my mac 10.4.11 using a MOTU MTP INTERFACE. im not sure how to set up the bank select numbers for either card in multi mode. like i said the motif rack works fine in multi mode on protools iam able to see patch names of motif that i want to select. i want to select my PLG 150 DX and AN CARD TO PLAY along but dont know what bank MSB/LSB to use please help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2009 @ 02:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Taken from the Power User article on PLG150 Boards:

PLUG-IN PRESET Voices:
63/70
This MSB/LSB number will always address the PLG PRE 1 = Plug-in Preset1 bank of the PLG150 board that is placed in slot 1 – it matters not which board, only that it is a PLG150-series. The PLG PRE1 bank Voices are loaded at power up. The data for them is stored permanently in the Motif-Rack ROM and is ‘loaded’ when a board is detected in slot 1 when you turn the power on.

If, for example, the DX board in PLG1 (Plug-in slot 1) was detected the Motif-Rack would load 64 Voices intended for the PLG150-DX into this reserved bank. If it had detected a different board it would have loaded the Voice data appropriate for that board. Therefore, the bank “63/70” will always reference the PLG150 board you place in slot 1.

63/71 PLG PRE2 (VL only) in slot 1*
63/72 PLG PRE3 (VL only) in slot 1*

63/73
This is the PLG PRE1 bank for any PLG150 board placed in slot 2. Again, it matters not which board, only that it is a PLG150. The PLG PRE1 bank Voices are loaded at power up. The data for them is stored permanently in the Motif-Rack ROM and is loaded when a board is detected in slot 1 when you turn the power on.

63/74 PLG PRE2 (VL only) in slot 2*
63/75 PLG PRE3 (VL only) in slot 2*

NOTE: __ * PLG150-VL has three PLG PRE banks, each containing 64 Presets. This was necessary with VL technology in order to include a preset bank setup for TOUCH EG play, one for Velocity play and one for Breath Control play. That is why bank numbers 63/71 & 63/72, 63/74 & 63/75 may also been seen, aspossible PLG PRE 2 and PLG PRE 3 for a VL board that might be in that slot.

• If you have a PLG150-PF, DR or PC it would inherit one of three banks numbers for its 64 PLG PRE 1 sounds: 63/70 if in slot 1; 63/73 if in slot 2;

The thing to know about the PLG PRE bank Voices is that they are completed PLUG-IN VOICES, which means they have been integrated with Motif-Rack parameters, effects and controller assignments - as opposed to “BOARD VOICES” which are entirely resident on the PLG board itself. More on them in a minute, but first, there is one more type of PLUG-IN VOICE.
-----------------------------------------------------

PLUG-IN USER: PLG_USR Voices
These are defined as Voices that you create using the PLG board data as the raw material (source data), to which you add Motif-Rack parameters, and routing to make a custom user version called the “PLG USR” (PLG1USER or PLG2USER). These get saved in an ALL DATA and in the ALL VOICE file types. They are initially BLANK until you create your own variations of the Preset data or create your own Plug-in Voices.

63/24
This is a PLG USR or PLUG-IN USER Voice bank. After you create or tweak a BOARD Voice by applying Motif effects and controller routing to it you will store it to one of 64 RAM locations that Motif reserves for each PLG150 Slot. This bank is the PLG USR and will reflect the technology of the board in that slot. Above you see Pu1 or PLG USR 1 under the P1 slot.

63/25
This is a PLG USR Voice bank for 64 Voices for the board in slot 2.
--------------------------------------------

BOARD VOICES:Board Voices are the raw data out of which you can construct your own custom PLUG-IN USER Voices. These banks do not begin with “MSB 63” and have not been integrated with Motif-Rack effects, controllers and other routing but are
resident entirely on the Board in question.

Again the Motif will address these banks through the slot containing the board. If a bank (MSB/LSB) is selected for a slot that does not contain that board, no sound will be heard. The two PLG Boards (PB) in the MIX PART screen. The number of Voices in a bank, the number of banks available, and the operation of each of the boards can be slightly different. It depends on
the technology involved.

The * asterisks below denote a user RAM bank for custom “from scratch” waveform building when available – You can create from scratch wave data in the case of the AN, DX and VL synth boards. The user RAM bank is the bank that you will be able to communicate with via the individual Voice Editors for each Board. The AWM2 boards (PF, DR, PC and XG) you cannot work from scratch because that would mean working with a sampler. The boards do not sample! You can edit the onboard waveforms to varying degrees.

PLG150-DX
35/0*
is a bank specific to the PLG150-DX board. You see the “PB” which denotes PLG BOARD bank. On the DX board there are 64 USER locations for custom (from scratch) DX sounds in this bank. Sounds are bulked to this bank in two separate loads 1-32 and 33-645. Use the “DX Simulator” Voice Editor to create and bulk (from scratch) sounds (or directly from any 6-Operator FM-based DX/TX product). There are several banks of presets and some 912 DX Voices total among the various DX banks. However, it is significant to note that “35/0” is the bank that will contain
any custom sounds you make in the DX SIMULATOR – all the others are Preset (fixed) banks.

35/1 is a bank specific to the PLG150-DX board. It contains 128 preset FM sounds.
35/2 is a bank specific to the PLG150-DX board. It contains 64 preset FM sounds.
XG banks – the other banks are setup for use with XG/GM protocol – meaning they are categorized as substitutes for XG/GM list Voices.

PLG150-AN
36/0
is a bank specific to the PLG150-AN board and contains 128 preset AN analog physical model sounds.
36/1 is a bank specific to the PLG150-AN board and contains 128 preset AN sounds.
36/2* is a bank specific to the PLG150-AN board. It is the USER bank for your custom AN Voices. There are 128 USER locations in this bank. Use the “AN Expert Editor” to create and bulk to this bank your (from scratch) analog voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2010 @ 06:14 AM
cerrone6
Joined  12-31-2009

okay i will try this but what about seeing the names of the patches (sounds)?  iam able to see all my motif rack sounds that are in the motif rack when using protools edit window via midi. can you please help me to get patch list for plg150 dx and plg 150 an?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2010 @ 01:30 AM
cerrone6
Joined  12-31-2009

hey this is cerrone6 i tried all the bank numbers that you wrote to me.  this what happens i either get two sounds at a time or latency in sound or non -plg sounds meaning it will only play the original sounds that come with the motif rack.  maybe this will help you to help me my setup :  MAC 10.4.11 Protools 7.4 HD Motif rack on port two of my MOTU MTP AV midi interface.  The Motif works fine with all its internal sounds providing the right motif rack midnam file i got from digicake.  I just cant seem to get the right msb/lsb numbers to work along with the motif rack while using protools. please help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2010 @ 01:50 AM
cerrone6
Joined  12-31-2009

Hey there BAD MISTER or anyone who cares to help. I still only can get the internal sound banks to play out of the MOTIF RACK in multi mode while using Protools as my DAW. I have used MSB/LSB 63/73 but still no change. and yes i do have a multi contoller keyboard.  please help because i tried everything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2010 @ 09:33 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

If I understand your setup. Your are plugged into the Motif Rack with 5-pin MIDI cables. If that is correct then you will have to to replace internal PARTS with the PLG PARTS in your MULTI.

Here is what I mean. When communicating with the Motif Rack via MIDI IN, you have a maximum of 16 PARTS. Normally that would be the internal PARTS 1-16. However, you will want to use your two PLG150 boards in the place of two internal PARTS.

In order to do this you must set the MIDI “RcvCh” (Receive Channel) = OFF for at least two of the internal tone generator PARTS… then you can have the PLG150-DX and the PLG150-AN substitute for those internal PARTS… giving you again a total of 16 PART multi-tibrality

Press [MULTI]
Press [EDIT]
Press the [MUTE/SEL] turning the LED off. This will give you the “Select” fucntion
The buttons labeled [1/5/9/13], [2/6/10/14], [3/7/11/15] and [4/8/12/16] will toggle you through the PARTS.
Select PART 01 in the screen

the PLG PARTS will be added to the [1/5/9/13/P1] and [2/6/10/14/P2]

In this example we will turn PART 1 and PART 2 = OFF
PAGE [<] to the "VOICE" screen
Use the Cursor DOWN button on PART 01 to “RcvCh” set the PART 01 receive channel to OFF

Repeat for PART 2

Press the [1/5/9/13] button repeatedly to select PART P1 (Plugin1)
Set the RcvCh = 1
Press the [2/5/10/14] button repeatedly to select PART P2 (Plugin2)
Set PART P2 = RcvCh = 2

STORE your MULTI.

This will allow you to address your PLG150 boards on MIDI channels 1 and 2 without hearing the internal Voices assigned to internal PARTS 1 and 2 - if you do not turn the internal PARTS OFF the internal PARTS will be layered with your PLG-PARTS on chose channels.

That said:
Now, if you had been using the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, you could set your PLG150 boards on PORT 2. And then address the 16 internal PARTS on PORT 1, Channels 1-16 and your two PLG150 boads on PORT 2, Channels 1 and 2
Press [UTILITY]
PAGE [>] to the “PLG1Sys” screen
Cursor down and set the PORT NO = 2
Both PLG150 boards will change together.
Doing this (with the USB-MIDI driver) will allow you to address the PLG150 boards on their own separate MIDI Port.

Standard MIDI cables only allow you to address 16 PARTS
USB cable and the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver allow you to address the Motif-Rack on 18 PARTS (16 on PORT 1, and 2 on PORT 2).

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2010 @ 04:07 AM
cerrone6
Joined  12-31-2009

HEY THERE BAD MISTER I TRIED EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID. 1ST I TURNED PART 1 AND 2 INTERNAL SOUNDS OFF THEN TURNED PLG PART 1 AND 2 TO CHANNEL REC. 1 AND 2. THE RESULTS ARE SHAKEY MEANING THE PLG 150 AN PLAYS ON CH. 1 BUT I GET LATENCY IN DIAL UP OF SOUND, IT ALSO MAKES THE SEQUENCE BEHAVE STRANGELY IN PROTOOLS DAW. NOT SMOOTH. CH 2 DOES NOT EVEN PLAY PLG 150 DX SOUNDS NO MATTER WHAT I DO.  I GOT IT LUCKLY WHEN I SET THE MSB/LSB TO 35/1.  I READ YOUR REPLY STATING THAT IF I USED USB I CAN GET TWO PORTS INSTEAD OF 1.  1 PORT FOR INTERNAL PARTS AND 1 PORT FOR PLG BOARDS.  QUESTIONS I HAVE NOW ARE HOW DO SET UP THE USB PORT IN AUDIO MIDI SETUP?  OR CAN I EVEN USE USB WITH MY AUDIO MIDI SET UP AT ALL?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2010 @ 09:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, have trouble figuring out what it is you are actually having trouble with… you say it is not working at all, then you say you finally go it… so it is working? I’m not sure I understand what you mean, sorry.

I READ YOUR REPLY STATING THAT IF I USED USB I CAN GET TWO PORTS INSTEAD OF 1.  1 PORT FOR INTERNAL PARTS AND 1 PORT FOR PLG BOARDS.

With USB you can address the internal sounds of the Motif-Rack on PORT 1, and the PLG Boards on PORT 2 - that is if you are using USB and the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver.

And please don’t use all capital letters it is difficult to read.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2010 @ 01:59 PM
cerrone6
Joined  12-31-2009

Hey there again Bad mister sorry for the capital letters. I have followed your instructions on how to use the plg cards on the Motif rack using Midi. ( non USB).  The first thing i have done is to set part 1 and 2 to recieve on channel 1 and channel 2 plg1 plg2.. Iam able to view the plg patch names that i copied and pasted in Protools DAW.
The only problem i have now is that when ever i sequence with one of the plg cards such as the plg 150DX the sequence seems to jump at the down beat when i press play.  When i have it in loop mode it stiil jump on the down beat but play smoothly on the loop. This initial jump does’nt happen with Motif internal sounds only when adding plg card.  Oh when i say jump I mean it skips the 1st note of the sequence.  so thats it.  Im almost there please help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2010 @ 07:21 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

It would probably be best to not include Bank Select and Program Change information in a looping segment. You really only need to recall your setup - it doesn’t need to be told at the top of every cycle to select the sound.

I would recommend that you take advantage of the Motif-Racks MULTI, which can store all the sounds you are using on a particular sequence. Simply create a MULTI containing the setup you require, name and store it to one of the Motif-Rack USER MULTI locations.

When you open this particular project have your DAW send the Bank Select and Program Change to recall the MULTI… then you don’t have to have individual Program Change messages being sent every single time the loop occurs.

Think of the module as your band, when you call a song for the band to play they should all pick up their instruments… you wouldn’t tell them at the top of every 8 measure to re-select their instruments. Once in the beginning should do it.

I don’t know how (specifically) that Pro Tools lets you recall setups but you can address the Motif-Rack MULTI as a whole. It will recall all 16 internal and 2 PLG Voices when you recall the MULTI.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sounds
Next Topic:

Motif Rack,EPS,Akai 2000XL ››