mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS7, Macpro, RME Fireface, Logic 9, how to record all the stuff from the XS 7 into logic 9?"

Posted on: November 26, 2009 @ 06:45 PM
fctwente
Total Posts:  66
Joined  11-26-2009

Hello,

can someone help me with this? I can’t record more tracks with sounds from XS7 in logic, how can I fix this?

fctwente

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2009 @ 10:38 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004
fctwente - 26 November 2009 03:31 PM

Hello motif8mine,

I’m new on this forum, and starting up working in my new homestudio now for two weeks, I have a Macpro, Logic 9 studio and RME audio fireface 800 and motif XS7 without Mlan connections( I have to build that in later on)

my connections: 2 midi cables from xs to interface; 2 jacks from output xs to input interface

my problem, I got your environment tutorial, and it works perfect in Logic, and I can change instruments within the xs with logic, my problem: I want to record different voices from XS7 into logic, at this moment it only works with one track in logic… can someone help me?

fctwente - 26 November 2009 09:28 PM

Hej motif8mine,

my main problem is this: in my arrange window only track 1 (and selected channel 1) is working synchron with my Motif XS7. For example, when I choose pianosound: ‘full concert grand’ in Logic, the XS7 will move automatically to this sound. In logic, when I choose a instrument on track two(and selected channel 2), for example keyboard: ‘ballad key’, the XS7 will stay in ‘full concert grand’, and does not move to ‘ballad key’.

I tried to record on 2 tracks, but you only hear track 1 and not track 2. I want to record different instruments from the XS7 in logic on different tracks, and that the XS7 is working synchron.

Hello… first of all, what mode are you using in the XS? And, how many External MIDI Tracks are you working with in Logic? How many channels of audio can the RME handle simultaneously?

One of the things that is going to be necessary is for you to use the assignable outputs of the XS and two additional 1/4” jack audio cables in order to record more than one stereo pair at a time…

Also, it is my highest recommendation that you install the Yamaha_USB MIDI Driver and connect via USB instead of the MIDI cables…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 12:55 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

Thanks for your reaction!

The XS is set to voicemode, so right now I’m only working in voice mode. I combined software instrument tracks with external midi tracks in Logic. The RME has 8 Line level inputs and 8 line level outputs! The fireface is connected with a fireface 400 cable to the macpro.

for more information about the different connections of RME audio interface:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_800.php

My Yamaha XS is already connected like you said, so with 2 jack cables from the output XS to line level inputs of Fireface 800.

I don’t have USB connections on Fireface 800. These are the connections:

Connectivity

10 x Analog I/O
1 x Stereo Headphone Out
2 x ADAT I/O or 1 x ADAT I/O plus 1 x SPDIF I/O optical
1 x SPDIF I/O coaxial
1 x Word Clock I/O
1 x MIDI I/O
4 x Mic/Line Inputs with Preamps
1 x Instrument input adjustable
2 x FireWire 800
1 x Firewire 400
optional: Time Code Module
TotalMix

I can connect the XS with usb to my macpro, is that oke? I’m also working now with Mlan connections, but XS7 doesn’t have a Mlan board by itself, I have to buy it, hope to get it in a few weeks.

Do you have skype?(would be great!) it’s easier to communicate faster in the future. If so, you can send me a email message to:

thanks for your time and help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 03:33 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

If you are wanting to record more than one voice at a time, as well as avoid the problems you mentioned with the voices changing, the XS needs to be in song mode. Also, again, the XS needs to be connected directly to the Mac via USB (must install the Yamaha USB Driver first). As an FYI, it would be much better for you to connect to the RME via FW800, as it is much faster than fw400…

By default, all of the audio of the XS is assigned to the L,R jacks. Page 265 & 266 of the manual direct you on how to assign one or more instruments to the Assignable Outs (L,R). In order to record more than one channel into Logic, you would bus the I/O section of the Audio Tracks Inspector to the corresponding RME channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 04:30 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

okay thanks,

the thing is, I need first to setup the things correctly. There are so many ways to make connections between Motif XS, Firewire 800 and my Mac 2.66 quad core intel xeon

I want to record mide and audio in Logic 9, so I need good connections.

I installed the yamaha usb midi driver and also yamaha studio manager and motif xs editor, and I connected XS with the mac, but still I see no yamaha XS in audio midi setup on Mac.

anyway,

Wat would be the best for me?

1.Mlan board in my XS7 (I already contact my shop to get it, will take 2 weeks)
2.Connect with mac or fireface? (both have Firewire 800 cable inputs) Is it possible to use both mlan connections from motif xs (like XS8) so one goes to Fireface 800, and the other to the Mac, or is this not necessary?
I have firewire 800 connections on RME Fireface 800 and Mac, what would be the best connections for me with my motif XS7?

you see, I’m just starting and a beginner!

hear from you!

fctwente

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 06:24 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

It is not necessary to obtain mLAN. I personally prefer it but, you do already have an Audio Interface. What mLAN can do is allow you to record 16 channels of audio into Logic in one pass- (16 mono, 8 stereo or, any combination equaling 16)… What it cannot do is be a viable solution to record vocals via condenser mics, etc… The real question is this: can you justify the added expense of the mLAN? If you can great. If not, you can still accomplish the same thing- howbeit, not as efficiently as it relates to XS audio… Anyway, I gave you how to bus the audio. Here are other settings-

XS SETTINGS:

Select Logic as the DAW you want to control
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF1] DAW
Select DAW TYPE = Logic

Set the XS to operate via USB
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [STORE] to lock in your Utility mode settings.

Set the XS to work in Song Mode
Press SONG
Press [SEQ SETUP]
Press [F3] QUICK and, select either:
QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #2- to record internal sequencer into Logic or,
QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #3 = Recording on Computer

CORE AUDIO / LOGIC SETTINGS:
1) Logic Pro 9 will recognize any device setup in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. When properly installed, the Yamaha-USB Driver should be auto-configured by Audio Midi Setup; and, it will appear there. It will be grayed out unless the Motif is connected. If it is not there, 1a) Ensure the XS is set to operate via USB or, 1b) Completely remove and reinstall the driver- see documentation that came with the driver…

2) Audio Midi Setup will recognize the USB driver but, not the keyboard. It must be manually setup in AMS. (So from the Desktop or Finder, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. Open the Audio MIDI Setup. Choose the MIDI Devices Tab. Select ‘Add Device’. An item appears called ‘new external device’. Double-click the first device. Type ‘MotifXS7’ as the Device Name. You can select Yamaha as the manufacturer. Apply the changes and close)…

3) Move it (the Motif Device) directly under the Yamaha USB Driver Device (it should be there once the driver is installed correctly). (There is at least one set of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports. Place your cursor at the left downfacing triangle (out port) and drag to the left triangle of the Motif Device (in port). It draws a cable. Draw just the one and- Close ‘AMS’)…

4) Open Logic 9 and create an external instrument track; the Motif should appear in the Media / Library as an option… (more than one Motif port will be shown; select the one that has the exact name as the device in you setup in AMS. The 1-16 correspond to your XS Midi channels)

5) To record more than one midi channel at a time, you must do the following: From the Logic ToolBar select ‘Settings’ {or File> Project Settings}; Click the Recording Tab; check the Auto Demix By Channel… When you create additional external tracks for the Motif. Select the Motif Instrument from the library as stated above and the corresponding Midi Channel.

When each track is record enabled, the Midi should be distributed to the proper channels- you will notice this when recording stops…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 07:15 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

Settings in XS are correctly done now.

About the usb driver: there’s no plugin in my AMS configuration.
But when I go to: library, Audio, Midi Drivers(as the documentation that came with the driver), I get this installed drivers:

EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin
Fireface MIDI.plugin
YAMAHA-USBMIDIDriver.plugin
Yamaha1394MIDI.plugin

This says the documentation sended with the driver:

6. When installation is completed, a window appears indicating that the software has been successfully installed or upgraded.
You can check the following locations to confirm that the driver has been installed:

• LibraryAudioMIDI DriversYAMAHA-USBMIDIDriver.plugin • LibraryPreferencePanesYAMAHA-USBMIDIPatch.prefPane

I made the new external device, called motifXS7

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 07:28 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

in my AMS there are the folowing Icons:

1. Network
2.IAC-controlfile
3.Fireface
4.Motif XS 7 (new device)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 07:53 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

Heej it works till step 4! In logic, I have 4 ports with yamaha Motif XS7 and also IAC-controlfile in the library! and also in the inspector I can select the motif XS ports! but the problem is still the same, When I create a second external instrument track, the XS does nothing and is still at the intstrument of the first track!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 07:57 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

A couple of things, the XS should not be connected to the mac while installing the driver. Every now and then someone runs into problems with its installation. Only after installing it, do you connect your XS and, it must be set to operate via USB. The fact that it doesn’t appear in the AMS after connecting the XS means, the driver needs to be completely removed and reinstalled. Again, the presence of the driver in the folder you mentioned and the absence of it in the AMS, indicates it was not properly installed.

You may want to restart your computer between the uninstall the reinstall… Unfortunately, I do not have a magic formula for getting it to install properly- other than perhaps to make sure you download the latest USB Driver from Yamaha…

Also, to be clear I am recommending a total of (4) cables from the XS L,R & Assignable Out L,R to the RME so that you can record two stereo or 4 mono tracks simultaneously…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 08:04 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ahhh! You got it working. OK then make sure that do the following. For the first External MIDI Track, you select the XS Port#1 from Logic’s Library and the MIDI channel #1. That will transmit to and receive from MIDI Channel #1 on the XS. On the second External MIDI Track, you select Port #1 again but MIDI channel #2 to control MIDI channel #2 on the XS. Each time you create a new track, change the MIDI channel…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 08:35 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

yeah! I installed the latest driver again and deleted the old ones! And actualy now I have two yamaha devices in my AMS.

1: new external device Motif XS7 (with 2 triangles)
2: Yamaha Motif XS 7 (with 8 triangles)

In logic environment I have now:

1. IAC controlfile
2.Yamaha Motif XS7 port 1
3.Yamaha Motif XS 7 port 2 and
4. Yamaha Motif XS8mlan( I downloaden from you!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 08:52 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

still only channel 1 is working.

When I select in logic’s library XS7 port 1, 16 channels. I take channel 1,
Then in the Inspector in logic, Port: XS7 Port 1, Channel:1, till here it’s working. I hear yamaha piano

in track 2, Library: xs7 port 1, channel 2 and in the inspector again port 1 but channel 2, I hear nothing!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 11:37 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Have you selected an instrument in the XS for channel2. There’s really no reason why this shouldn’t be working now…

fctwente - 27 November 2009 08:35 PM

yeah! I installed the latest driver again and deleted the old ones! And actualy now I have two yamaha devices in my AMS.

1: new external device Motif XS7 (with 2 triangles)
2: Yamaha Motif XS 7 (with 8 triangles)

In logic environment I have now:

1. IAC controlfile
2.Yamaha Motif XS7 port 1
3.Yamaha Motif XS 7 port 2 and
4. Yamaha Motif XS8mlan( I downloaden from you!)

That’s great. You should have drawn the cable from the USB Driver (with 8 triangles) to the XS Device in AMS. I’m not sure why you are showing an IAC Controlfile showing in your environment. Hmmm…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2009 @ 12:16 PM
fctwente
Joined  11-26-2009

Hi there,

Next week I will get the Motif XS8 with mlan.

So the situation then:

Macpro
RME fireface 800
Motif XS8
Logic pro 9
Yamaha Studio Manager software
Motif XS editor software

can you give me all the information in logical order to get the right connections between these products?

1.I have to connect XS8 with mac with IEEE 1394 Firewire cable. Should I connect the XS8 also with IEEE 1394 cable with RME fireface 800?

greetz,

fctwente

[ Ignore ]