mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "OK - Stuck at Step #1"

Posted on: November 14, 2009 @ 11:57 PM
spacenorman
Total Posts:  6
Joined  12-14-2006

I give. I’ve RTFM (read the freakin’ manuals), followed all the steps - but simply cannot get Studio Manager to interact with my Rack-ES Unit.

Here’s my set-up:

Studio Manager - Version 2.3.0
Motif Voice Editor - Version 2.2.0
Motif Multi Editor - Version 2.2.0

CP300 Midi OUT to Motif Midi IN
Laptop Connected to Motif via USB ports
Yamaha USB Driver for Windows 2.1.7
Port Config:  USB MIDI Out - Ports 1 - 8 selected
USB MIDI In - Port 1 - 1

Ports defined in Voice Editor setup
Ports defined in Multi Editor setup

Motif responds to MIDI signals from CP300 (notes and program changes).

Selecting “Recall” from Studio Manager to pull “from hardware” fails with opening either Voice Editor and/or Multi Editor. (Transfer timeout error message received)

Selecting factory preset voices from Library menu flashes a “loading” dialog box momentarily - but does nothing change the active voice on the Motif Rack ES unit itself. 

What am I missing????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2009 @ 08:33 AM
Derek Cook
Total Posts:  249
Joined  12-31-2005

Possibly a dumb question, but have you set the MIDI IN/OUT mode on the Rack to USB instead of MIDI? See Page 91 of the manual?

This is my biggest frustration with the Rack! I wish that Yamaha had allowed the ports to be active at the same time, as I have a permanent chain on the physical MIDI ports from the keyboards and I then want to use USB for when I use the Rack for recording with Cubase, sending/receiving patches etc. It’s a pain having to switch between the two!

Cheers
Derek

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2009 @ 11:10 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Here’s my set-up:

Studio Manager - Version 2.3.0
Motif Voice Editor - Version 2.2.0
Motif Multi Editor - Version 2.2.0

CP300 Midi OUT to Motif Midi IN
Laptop Connected to Motif via USB ports
Yamaha USB Driver for Windows 2.1.7
Port Config:  USB MIDI Out - Ports 1 - 8 selected
USB MIDI In - Port 1 - 1

Ports defined in Voice Editor setup
Ports defined in Multi Editor setup

Motif responds to MIDI signals from CP300 (notes and program changes).

Selecting “Recall” from Studio Manager to pull “from hardware” fails with opening either Voice Editor and/or Multi Editor. (Transfer timeout error message received)

Selecting factory preset voices from Library menu flashes a “loading” dialog box momentarily - but does nothing change the active voice on the Motif Rack ES unit itself. 

What am I missing????

Where to begin?
You don’t tell us anything about your computer so this will need to be fairly generic. And it seems you have several old and/or incorrect versions of the Editors (or is just inaccurate typing… I cannot tell) But we will take you literally since you took the time to type it out:

Studio Manager version 2.3.1 is the latest version of the Studio Manager host application.
Motif-Rack ES Voice Editor version 2.2.0 - the Motif-Rack ES has its own Editor, the “Motif Voice Editor” will not work
Motif-Rack ES Multi-Part Editor version 2.2.0 - the Motif-Rack ES has its own Editor, the “Motif Multi Editor” will not work.

The latest Yamaha USB-MIDI Drivers are as follows:
Mac OS X = version 1.2.1
Windows (32-bit) Vista/Windows7 = version 3.0.4
Windows (32-bit) XP = version 2.2.4
Windows (64-bit) XP/Vista/7 = version 3.0.4

I recommend that you visit the Motif-Rack ES download page (link below) and get the latest versions of everything for your computer type. We would be happy to help you get up and running but require exact details.

While the latest versions of everything may not solve your problem (because things should work with older versions, as well), it is just good to have the latest correct items.

For example, the “Motif” Multi-Part and Voice Editors are not, at all, interchangeable with the “Motif-Rack ES” Multi-Part and Voice Editors.

When you have all the correct items for your computer type, please post back and include what type of computer, what operating system, what versions you have and what you are running at the time you are attempting to get it working. (That is, are you using a DAW software or are you using the Studio Manager as a standalone application?)

Let us know.

Motif-Rack ES Download Page

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2009 @ 11:05 PM
spacenorman
Total Posts:  6
Joined  12-14-2006

Ok - I’ve updated Studio Manager to Version 2.3.1 and the Yamaha USB-MIDI Drivers to Version 2.2.4

Although my last post read simply Motif Voice Editor and Motif Multi Editor - the editors are the 2.2.0 versions specifically for the Motif ES Rack ES unit. 

My computer is a Dell Laptop - running Windows XP Professional (32 Bit).  The OS is up to date with regards to Microsoft patches.  There’s 2GB of memory installed and 80 GB of available disk.

The only other “MIDI” related software installed on the machine is MOTU Clock Works - which I use for a GUI interface on the rare occasion that I need to modify the configuration of my MOTU MIDI Express XT interface unit. 

I have no DAW software installed on the machine - and have been trying to use Studio Manager as a standalone application.

Interestingly - today (after the software updates were completed) - I consistently get an error message when starting Studio Manager that advises that Ports MIDI IN 1-1 and MIDI OUT 1-1 are not available.  And this is after the laptop has been rebooted and Studio Manager is the only application running (aside from McAfee Virus Protection). 

When I look at the hardware listing under Sounds and Audio Devices on the Windows Control Panel - I see the drivers listed with a reported status of “working properly”.

Predictably - I’m still unable to interact with the rack unit. 

Next I’m off to research the MIDI IN/OUT parameter that Derek Cook mentioned. 

Anything else I should be looking at?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2009 @ 01:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Ok - I’ve updated Studio Manager to Version 2.3.1 and the Yamaha USB-MIDI Drivers to Version 2.2.4

Although my last post read simply Motif Voice Editor and Motif Multi Editor - the editors are the 2.2.0 versions specifically for the Motif ES Rack ES unit. 

My computer is a Dell Laptop - running Windows XP Professional (32 Bit).  The OS is up to date with regards to Microsoft patches.  There’s 2GB of memory installed and 80 GB of available disk.

Excellent.

Now we need to see why your unit is reporting that the Motif-Rack XS as the second USB device.

You mention a MOTU MIDI interface… how if, at all, is this connected to your Motif-Rack ES? Are you using the Motif-Rack ES connected to it - if you are then we must assume that you are not connected to the computer via USB from the Rack ES? We are confused.

If you downloaded the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver 2.2.4 we will assume you want to use it and are connected to the computer via USB. In which case:
Go to CONTROL PANEL
Find the blue Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver icon and double click it.

A Control Panel should open. If not make sure that the Motif-Rack ES is connected to the computer via a USB cable and that the Rack ES is set to MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [UTILITY] > PAGE to the ‘MIDI’ screen > Cursor DOWN to MIDI IN/OUT > Set to USB

In the Control Panel along the top what do you see as the DEVICE NAME and what do you see in the center panel?

[ Ignore ]