mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Master Mode vs Song/Mixer Mode on the XS8 LIVE"

Posted on: November 06, 2009 @ 06:00 PM
Alaskan Buckeye
Total Posts:  57
Joined  12-03-2007

I’m curious which MODE other XS users are using playing LIVE.  Currently I have several customized Performances that I use to mix/match/mute sounds and setting depending on the set/songs.  I have yet to try the Song/Mixing mode but understand that will give me acess to 16 sounds to essentially do what I am doing with Performance mode.. correct?  But I am having some mental block as to use the Master mode to be able to advance settings by the push of one button instead of modifying levels and muting voices with each performance… I have printed out the “understanding Master Mode” power user PDF and will try and get a grasp. 

How are others using their XS Live?  I am playing in a contemporary Praise and Worship band.  Love my XS8… I’m thinking I need to sell my R-FantomX6 and replace it with a XS6… Love the Motif.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2009 @ 09:52 PM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

Greg,

I am playing live at the moment using both an XS8/XS6 in my rig.  I use Master mode quite extensively to organize my sets and voices.  Lots of my Masters are in fact Performances, with splits and voices I manage with sliders, function buttons, etc., but overall I navigate the set lists with Master lists.

I’ve got the group trained to call out numbers if we start jumping around the set lists so I can quickly call up the voices needed.

I also use John Melas’ tools to organize things with my PC to catalog songs and patches. These tools make it easy to drag and drop voices into sequential order to help sort and organize voices/patches for me.

cheers,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2009 @ 05:37 AM
Alaskan Buckeye
Joined  12-03-2007

tbone - very nice. The more I use the XS the more I feel I need to sell my Roland Fantom X6 and get a XS6.  Do you connect the two boards in your live playing for any reason? I suppose I could MIDI my Fantom and utilize the Motif in mix mode.. but not sure i want to go there or have the understanding.  Also thanks for the tip on John Melas’ software I’ll be adding that tomorrow.

Thanks
Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2009 @ 08:14 AM
tbone
Joined  02-15-2009

No.  I don’t have the two boards connected via MIDI for what I’m doing live right now.  I’m really just having some fun and doing a local R&B;thing. I find I use the XS6 for organs and synth voicing and my XS8 for pianos, mainly. I tried doing it all on one board, but either ran out of keys or got tired of scrambling to push buttons and stacking sounds to my style of play. Two boards is just about right… for now…

With that said, I have been experimenting to find ways to control both boards with my laptop, so that I can push voice changes out based on a database like search of my repertoire and voice library. It’s not a high priority, but something that would be useful for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2009 @ 08:26 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

I also want to use two keyboards as you do, top for organ, bottom for piano & sometimes bass. Couple questions if you would, how long does it typically take you to set up and how difficult is it with these two large heavy boards?, and, what kind of stand are you using and does it wobble? Thanks, Norman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2009 @ 09:13 PM
tbone
Joined  02-15-2009

I have a QuickLok (QL-642)stand. It doesn’t wobble at all and supports ~250 lbs. I’m a heavy piano player and like to pound from time to time and haven’t worried about the stability yet.

Setup time isn’t bad. If we don’t count the lugging into the room, cable dressing or sound check, I can set up and cable both boards in under 15 minutes if I needed to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2009 @ 12:10 AM
Alaskan Buckeye
Joined  12-03-2007

I use an “On-Stage” brand Folding Heavy-Duty Dual-Tier Z Stand -and have no movement, I’m very pleased with this stand.  I also purchased the SKB case for the XS8 from Motifator.com and that works great for my around town stuff.  Agree with tbone, other than the transport, setting up is just part of the fun gettin started.  And its official - I’m on the search for an XS6 to add and replace the Roland.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2009 @ 12:06 PM
tbone
Joined  02-15-2009

I’m on the search for an XS6 to add and replace the Roland.

Have a look on Craigslist. I found my XS6 there and was very pleased with the transaction.

...should I be asking Yamaha for a commission? (~;

How much you want for the Roland?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2009 @ 08:51 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

Thanks for replies. Do you guys handle XS8 in a case yourself or do you typically get help? I have an MO8 and Yamaha soft case and find it unwieldy, especially on steps. And the XS8 is longer and a little heavier.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2009 @ 02:12 AM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

I also use the Master Mode exclusively for all of my performances and sounds.  I have the ES6 and the XS6, therefore when I got my XS, it was no problem getting the results of what I needed.  In my band, I have the fortunate and/or unfortunate duties of playing any sound except for electric guitar, bass, and sometimes drums. (Sometimes I play these also) I play all brass, sax, strings, piano, organs, etc.  With these duties, I make many quick program changes, usually without any delays that are noticable in a live situation.  I don’t use the Master Mode for my sequences as it is just one push of a button to enter the Song Mode.

BTW, if anyone would like to share their favorite Brass Sections, I would appreciate it.  I’ve programmed one that I like that uses internal sounds and some samples from Dave Polich’s Brass disc.  I think it sounds OK, but I am always looking for the perfect Brass Patch if it exists. (Something along the lines of E,W,&F;and Tower of Power.  Big fat brass sounds I can play in octaves.) Dave’s programming on the Brass Disc is fantastic, but everyone has there own interpretation of what a killer Brass Section should sound like.

With regard to the Fantom X6 that I purchase a while back and sold within a few months, I bought the Fantom X6 to replace a Roland XP60, only to sell it because I felt that Roland dropped the ball on this board.  The sounds were great, but I kinda’ got use to the contollers on the XP60.  It not only had a Master Volume slider, it had a C1 and a C2 slider that I still cherish to this date.  It is so easy to munipulate the controllers with my left hand at will as opposed to having to reach up for knobs on the Fantom and hope that I grab the right one.  I know that I could have set up pedals and there were other options, but I decided to stay with what I know which was a very good sounding XP60, that I was very familiar with, and was a cinch to use, not mentioning the easy sequencing.

Now for sequencing, I’ve yet to come across a workstation that is as easy to use as the Yamaha ES/XS.

Just my opinions,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2009 @ 06:25 AM
Alaskan Buckeye
Joined  12-03-2007

I’ve seen the Fantom X6’s in good condition on CraigsList used run around $1000.00-$1100.00 with a soft case.  I am watching CL for the XS6’s. 

I used Master mode tonight live for the first time.  Worked great! I also picked up an Apple USB keyboard which was great for naming and organizing performances and master.  I played as part of a guest P&W;Band at a large church with fantastic music and sound tallent.  I recieved rave reviews on the XS8 - their sound guy and musicians could not believe the richness of the XS. 

normanb
Total Posts:  85
Joined 2006-12-28
[ pm ] Thanks for replies. Do you guys handle XS8 in a case yourself or do you typically get help? I have an MO8 and Yamaha soft case and find it unwieldy, especially on steps. And the XS8 is longer and a little heavier.

Yea - its heavy, and stairs are no fun… I transport mine up and down each time I leave the house for starters. But its worth it.  I find if there is anyone around they are more than happy to lend a hand. Most cases have wheels, so smart lifting in/out of the vehicle.. then rolling it makes it nice.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2011 @ 12:06 AM
kabuchi7
Total Posts:  374
Joined  03-08-2004

Hi

this quote about John Melas tools has jumped out at me. Can this be used on the Yamaha MO6?

thnx

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Midi Soft thru like function?
Next Topic:

Output levels between Performances ››