mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "3 working pedals at the same time. Soft / Sostenuto / Sustain…I was hoping."

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 08:33 PM
_MusicMan_
Total Posts:  86
Joined  11-13-2008

I hate to bring up this subject again, and I suspect Bad Mister is getting sick and tired of it...hehe

But...........
I now have:
MotifXS8, 2 FC3 Pedals, 1 FC4 Pedal, and an MFC10 Midi Foot Controller.
My goal is to have the XS set up exactly like a piano,with all three pedals working for live playing.

I can make the Sustain Pedal work and my Soft Pedal settings work at the same time,no problem.
But I’ve tried all kinds of things to get Sostenuto to work at the same time also. Yes,it will work through the Assignable Foot Switch jack...but then I lose my Soft Pedal function.
And I’ve not been able to get the Sostenuto to work via the Foot Controller jacks at all.
I kind of suspected that,so that’s why I got the MFC10 and hoping I would be able to merge it in via MIDI.
I’ve programmed the MFC10 so that when I press the FC4 Pedal the MFC10 sends out CC66 via MIDI.I’ve verified that it is actually doing this.
But I’m stuck for ideas now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 08:58 PM
luigibros
Total Posts:  294
Joined  08-28-2009

you really dont need the mfc10 tweaking the motif xs a little…

you can use the fc3 like your sustain pedal (check to get cc64 midi codes in the event list)

you can use a fc4 pedal like sustenuto (check to get cc65 midi codes in the event list)

and you can use a fc7 pedal like soft pedal (check to get cc67 codes in the event list)

regards,
Luigi.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 10:07 PM
_MusicMan_
Joined  11-13-2008

Thanks Luigi
That was close but no cigar.
It actually works using the FootSwitch inputs for Sustain and Sostenuto.
So far so good.

But a piano player likes a Pedal as a Softpedal...not a volume pedal (FC7)! And all 3 has to be the same height and close to the same dimensions.

However,using an FC3 in the FootController1 jack and programmed for a SofPedal works...almost

To get a SoftPedal simulation on the piano voice,I set it to control FEG Depth = -8.
There has been some other suggestions in here,but I find that that gives the best simulation for a SoftPedal.

However,using this hookup now gives the result in reverse.
I.e. when the pedal is up it gives a Soft effect. And when the pedal is down it gives a loud effect.
And that is the opposite of what is expected.
And setting the FEG Depth to a positive setting does not solve the problem.
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 10:29 PM
_MusicMan_
Joined  11-13-2008

I think I’ve actually worked out the solution now.
What will work is to take the FC3 apart,which is used for the SoftPedal in the FootController jack,and switch two of the wires in it so that the potentiometer works the other way around.
Let’s wait and see if BadMister has another solution that I haven’t been able to figure out.
Thanks,
Roland

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 10:30 PM
luigibros
Total Posts:  294
Joined  08-28-2009

if you are a skilled pianist like me, you really dont need to use the third (soft) pedal.

I can easily play a passage softer by pressing slightly the keys of the piano, instead of keeping depressed a pedal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2009 @ 10:19 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

And I’ve not been able to get the Sostenuto to work via the Foot Controller jacks at all.
I kind of suspected that,so that’s why I got the MFC10 and hoping I would be able to merge it in via MIDI.
I’ve programmed the MFC10 so that when I press the FC4 Pedal the MFC10 sends out CC66 via MIDI.I’ve verified that it is actually doing this.
But I’m stuck for ideas now

You can definitely program the FC4 to be your sostenuto pedal via the MFC10. Please follow these steps:

_ Plug the FC4 into the FOOT CONTROLLER/SWITCH #2 jack on the back panel of the MFC10 ( you can use jacks 2, 3, 4 or 5 - for this example I will direct your attention to #2; I also will assume MIDI Channel 1)
_ Connect the MFC10 MIDI OUT to MIDI IN of the Motif XS
_ Make sure the Motif XS is set so MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI
[UTILITY] > [F5] CONTROL > [SF2] MIDI > MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI

Programming the MFC10:
Press the [FC EDIT] button
Press the #2 button/switch on the MFC10 - this tells it that you are going to program Foot Controll/Switch #2 - even though you are not going to use front panel switch #2 this step is simply alerting the MFC10 that jack #2 is going to be the FC jack we are working with.

With front panel switch #2 flashing (in sync with the “STATUS” LED) use the [INC/YES]/[DEC/NO] button to select “b0”
(translation: Control Change messages - MIDI channel 1)

Press [FC EDIT] to advance to “DATA/CTRL”
Use the [INC/YES]/[DEC/NO] button to select 066
(tranlation: Control Change message: Sostenuto)

Press [FC EDIT] to advance to “BANK MSB/MAX”
MAX = 127

Press [FC EDIT] to advance to “BANK LSB/MIN”
MIN = 000

Press [WRITE/EXIT]

“FC2” should be flashing in the screen
Press [INC/YES] to write this data to memory
It will quickly flash twice…

The FC4 pedal that is plugged into the #2 jack on the back will now act as a sostenuto pedal for your Motif XS>

Sostenuto pedal, as I’m sure you are aware, means that you can play a note or chord, step on the pedal, this will ‘prevent the dampers from deadening these strings” thus holding those tones… so you are now free to play the rest of the keyboard without losing the pedalled notes and without additionally sustaining the new notes.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2009 @ 10:36 AM
KJandKT
Total Posts:  648
Joined  07-12-2008
luigibros - 26 October 2009 10:30 PM

if you are a skilled pianist like me, you really dont need to use the third (soft) pedal.

I can easily play a passage softer by pressing slightly the keys of the piano, instead of keeping depressed a pedal.

As a skilled pianist, you would know that the soft pedal (una corda) is not just for playing passages softly.  On the Cristofori piano, it was possible to shift it so that only one of two strings was struck by the hammer...thus “una corda”.  Pressing it on a modern grand piano shifts the action so that the hammers only hit two of the three strings (where three strings are present).  Also, the other two strings will be struck by the hammer at a different point than usual (normally softer and less worn). This combination creates an etheral tone color that is quite desirable with a lot of romantic and impressionistic pieces.

So actually, a skilled pianist would use the una corda quite frequently…

Have a great day and God bless!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2009 @ 03:35 PM
_MusicMan_
Joined  11-13-2008

Thanks Bad_Mister!
Yes,that helps a lot.
I knew that it should work.
The thing I overlooked was the MIDI Channel nr. set in the MFC10.
I had it set to b1...which would mean channel 2.
No wonder nothing happened...have to blame it on a very late night again.
After changing it to b0,it worked perfectly.
To 0 or to 1...that is the question.

So now I have two ways to make all 3 Pedals work...with or without the MFC10.
Reversing the leads from the 8.5 Ohm pot in the FC3 works great,via the Controller jack and manipulating FEG Depth.
I guess this lays to rest all the pedal woes for now...lol
Thanks,
Roland

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS as sound card via YSFW?
Next Topic:

Scaling Pan ››