mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "voice chord recognition between ES and XS arps"

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 07:37 AM
Nick G
Total Posts:  141
Joined  07-11-2007

I have selected arp# 2793 (MB_Dream Dance_ES)

the bass voice is “Lately”

when i press the A key in the left hand side i get a repetitive bass line for a trance riff.
i notice when i press ACE it still plays the same line but when I switch to a chord inversion like “CEA” the bass line changes to C although i am holding an A chord.

is there a way i can make it so no matter what inversion i am pressing, the bass line will be chorrect to the chord NOT the bass note in the chord? all the _XS arps seem to do this but i want to be able to do it using ES and non ES arps.

can it be done?

thanks
Nick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 03:52 PM
Multi76
Total Posts:  898
Joined  07-19-2009

Have you tried to create your own arp (Put track to arp function in sequencer)?
You should give it a try and se how it translates…

/M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 05:31 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

XS type arpeggios use a different (more advanced chord recognition algorithm) this makes them different from the ES type arpeggios.

From the manual...................

XS TYPE
These arpeggios use a newly developed chord recognition technology to determine what notes should be played back by the Arpeggio. This XS type of arpeggio has the following benefits:

· The arpeggios respond only to any area on the keyboard where an XS type of arpeggio is assigned. Other areas of the keyboard do not effect the chord recognition. This allows very natural keyboard playing across the entire keyboard with arpeggio generated bass and backing parts.
· The arpeggio will always play harmonically correct parts. These are especially useful for bass and chordal backing parts.

These Arpeggio types created for use with Normal Voices are played back to match the chord type determined by detecting the notes you play on the keyboard. An Arpeggio with such a playback type has “_XS” at the end of the type name.

ES TYPE Arpeggios
These Arpeggio types use the same multi track Arpeggio architecture as the MOTIF ES. This ES type of arpeggio has the following benefits:

· These arpeggios can create complex notes and chords even when triggered by one note.
· The arpeggio closely follows the notes played on the keyboard (but within the area where the arpeggio is assigned) allowing a good deal of harmonic freedom and the possibility to “solo” using these arpeggios.

These Arpeggio types have several sequences each of which is suited for a certain chord type. Even if you press only one note, the Arpeggio is played back using the programmed sequence—meaning that notes other than the ones you play may be sounded. Pressing another note triggers the transposed sequence regarding the pressed note as a root note. Adding notes to those already held changes the sequence accordingly. An Arpeggio with such a playback type has “_ES” at the end of the type name.

----------------------------------------

Translation: An “_ES” type arpeggio will respond to a single note “C” and yet play a predetermined phrase. Yes when you are working with bass arps the lowest note naturally will be seen as the root (bass arpeggios are constructed to do this)… An “_XS” type arpeggio may be able to detect more types of chord voicings and yet do very intelligent things with the voicing.

For example, exactly the instance you outlined.

There are many conundrums when it comes to musical chord voicing and ‘teaching’ computers to deal with them. For example is
“D-F-A-C” a Dminor chord? sure but what if you take the D and place it on top isn’t it now an F6 (F-A-C-D)?
You have to establish some iron clad rules…

An “XS type” will take the voicing Eb-G-A-D and instead of recognizing it as the completely “unhip” EbMajor7b5 (like most keyboards) - the XS will treat it as a very hip voicing for F13 (even though there is no “F” in the chord itself). Try it on one of the walking bass lines (like the PERFORMANCE “Bop til you Drop”

You could also voice this F13 as follows: A-D-Eb-G

“XS type” also is responsible for understanding and interpreting “keyboard player” voicing and changing them into guitar possible voicing - so your keyboardist sense of where a guitar cannot go is not necessary - the XS voicing intelligence forces the arpeggio to sound a guitar-possible voicing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2009 @ 06:34 PM
Nick G
Total Posts:  141
Joined  07-11-2007

Hi bad mister,

I now fully understand the true differences between the arp types but I still have another question about modifying an xs arp.

I recorded an xs arp into the pattern mode from the performance mode. It was a looping bass line in the key of C. I then went into the list view editor. To change the velocity and timing of some of the notes in the arp.

Once finished all the modifying I then selected job - put track to arpeggio. When I went back into my performance and selected the new arp I just modified it list it’s intellegent chord recognition…

I was hoping there was a setting I missed that keels the chord intellegence when triggered.?

Thanks
Nick

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Arp in PATTERN MODE not smooth - XS
Next Topic:

Vocoder ››