mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How can I turn on MEF with a system exclusive message?"

Posted on: September 11, 2009 @ 01:55 AM
jrieger
Total Posts:  6
Joined  10-05-2004

I am attempting to use the multiband compressor in song mode and need to turn on the master effects switch post F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7 command.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2009 @ 10:06 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Did you post this in the right place?  The ES Rack doesn’t have SONG mode.

The SysEx string you show appears to be the GM MODE command, so I don’t think you can do what you’re describing since that tells the MIDI engine to ignore Non-GM commands.

But, just in case, here’s the addresses for the Master Effect

The BYPASS ON switch for Master Effect in System setting is at 00 00 1B 01 (off is 00)
Master Effect SWITCH system setting is at 00 21 22 (00 for OFF, 01 for on) In MULTI mode it’s at 36 11 22.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2009 @ 12:24 AM
jrieger
Joined  10-05-2004

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did post in the wrong place - I have an ES8.  However, I knew that the GM Mode was activated with that string but I did not know that all non-gm commands are ignored.  Removing the original string actually solved the problem after I saved the mix settings. So, thank you for the insight!!! Problem solved!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2009 @ 11:29 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Just for future searches that might come across this thread; I don’t know first-hand if ALL NON-GM commands are ignored; that’s just a vague statement in the manual.  I would have thought that SysEx wouldn’t have been ignored; but there’s probably some context sensitivity at work here…

Glad you got back on track!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2009 @ 11:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

System Exclusive messages like GM RESET are respected by the Motif-Rack ES (all Motif-series devices). When a GM RESET command is received this will recall the default start condition: All PARTS go to the GM bank, PART 10 recalls the GM Drum kit. All volumes are set to 100, all pan positions are centered, all PARTS are set to POLY mode, Pitch Bend range is reset to +2/-2, Reverb Sends to 12, Chorus Sends to 0, etc., etc.

It does not preclude any other System Exclusive messages from being recognized. The GM Reset does not address the Master Effect, nor the Master EQ (other than to turn it OFF and zero it out). Items like NRPNs (Non-Registered Parameter Numbers) are ignored (the Motif-series does not use NRPNs) - these are typically used to tune drums in the various GM drum kits. In GM all editing is typcially done in a setup measure because you are not able to STORE Voices in the typical GM product - so everytime a GM file begins playback the tone generator is returned to a pre-determined starting point.

This allows GM modules to be alot less expensive… think about it, if you do not have to put the kind of expensive memory in the unit to STORE user programs, you can reduce the price of the synth/module tremendously. This is how GM modules can be found in almost any small, inexpensive device nowadays! Even your computer probably has a GM soundset that could fit on the head of pin (lol)!

You can certainly send any Motif-Rack ES specific System Exclusive message post the GM RESET.

And although the Motif-series gear does not sport the official GM logo, this is by design. There are simply too many restrictions on GM sound sets… the pseudo-GM bank in the Motif simply gives you a starting point - you can then substitute any sound you wish.

The GM sounds in the Motif-series are not crippled in any way, nor are they from some separate degraded GM mini-chip (as some products do)… they are full-fledged Motif-series level Voices - from the same tone chip as the rest of the product, they are simply listed in the proper order to be accessed by the GM Program Change list. Hope that clarifies it a bit more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2009 @ 02:19 AM
jrieger
Joined  10-05-2004

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, that clarifies everything I have been dealing with in relation to this issue.  That is exactly what I have found regarding the GM bank and I do find that I usually substitute out the GM sounds, though sometimes they are exactly what I am looking for.  Thanks again for the additional information, especially related to post GM reset commands!  Very helpful!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Chill experience sound library
Next Topic:

Updating OS on the ES Rack ››