mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Logic Pro 9 initial observations - making great use of multiple cores."

Posted on: August 21, 2009 @ 09:04 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

So finally I’ve got back from a long work trip, unpacked the boxes, set up the Mac Pro and installed Logic Pro 9 (54Gb install, with all the optional bits - lol!). I have to say this is one amazing piece of software - so far I’m just experimenting with the demo content and replaying the projects supplied.

One thing is very apparent, and this is that Logic Pro is making great use of the multiple cores on my Mac Pro. Installing menumeters I get 16 CPU activity meters on my menu bar (2 x quad core Xeon Nehalem CPUs, with hyperthreading providing 2 hardware threads per core) and when playing back the demo projects I’m seeing most of the cores being used but never does any one of them go above about 20% even on the demo with about 81 tracks. If I add full screen video playback of the movie files included in the Logic projects this doesn’t make any discernable difference to the counters.

Very impressed. It sounds great as well, and so far I haven’t even configured my external soundcard so I’m using just the built-in TOS Link for monitoring.

It’s going to be a very cool weekend starting to get to grips with this stuff ... happy days!

Df.

[ Ignore ]