mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Getting XS to recognize CC commands from Logic"

Posted on: August 05, 2009 @ 06:44 PM
angelonyc
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-20-2009

Issue 1

I’m trying to have Logic send CC commands to XS rack, but with limited success.
I’ve succeeded in sending CC commands to turn arpegiator on/off. and to sequential step thru arps 1 - 5. 

I used CC 85 with a value of 127 to turn arp on and
CC 85 value 000 to turn arp off.

I set up 1-5 control # (on hardware) as CC 82

I can have Logic send a sequence containing the event CC 82, and the arpeggiator will sequentially step thru arps 1 - 5

I am attempting to select ARP directly.  I set arp assign mode to ‘direct’.  According to the manual
----------------
page 102

(Arpeggio Assign Mode)
Determines the mode for switching among Arpeggios 1 – 5, stored to each Voice/ Multi.
Settings: inc, direct
inc..........................Each time the MOTIF-RACK XS receives a message via the selected Control Change number,
Arpeggios 1 – 5 can be switched. The actual Control Change data value does not matter.
direct.....................You can select the Arpeggio corresponding to the value of the selected Control Change number: 0 – 25
(Arpeggio 1), 26 – 50 (Arpeggio 2), 51 – 76 (Arpeggio 3), 77 – 101 (Arpeggio 4), 102 – 127 (Arpeggio 5)
-------------------
I cannot figure out what this last section actually means..  I assumed that sending CC 0 - 25 would directly trigger ARP 1, CC 26 - 50 would trigger ARP 2, etc.  This doesn’t work..

I’ve tried sending several different CC #s to no avail..

Issue 2.  I want to use Korg M3 to drive the XS rack.  Keyboard and pitch/mod works fine. but I can’t get XS to respond to other switches.  I would like to get Korgs inc/dec switch to move XS voice or multies up/down. I can’t get that to work either.  i can monitor the Korg’s midi output, and can see that it is properly sending CCs.  The XS won’t respond other than turning ARP on/off and incrementally advancing thru arps 1 - 5

If any one has insight or can point me to an article, that would be great.

Thanx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2009 @ 08:27 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Issue #1
I don’t own a Rack and this functionality is not present in the XS but, check out THIS POST. Note He references Control Change #85 instead of 82. Also, his numbering system: -64 through -39= 0-25, etc…

As it relates to Logic, the only thing you want to do is ensure that as you create the CC’s they reflect the correct MIDI Channel…

Hope this resolves your issue

Issue #2
I’d need a little more info on exactly how you are connected- the Korg, XS Rack and MAC, and what MIDI ports you chosen and how you are setup in Audio MIDI Setup…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2009 @ 10:18 PM
angelonyc
Joined  07-20-2009

yamaha xs issues

Thanx..  Yes I will check into that post.  From what I understand in the manual you can set up a lot of parameters in the XS with whatever unassigned CC’s you want, as long as your sending device is outputting the expected CC value.

I started fiddling with CC values, and possibly changed some.. Perhaps I’ll do a ‘factory reset’.  That should change ALL parameters back to original right?

In Logic edit list you have:

position Status - Channel - Num - Val (so I enter
0-4--4-240 Control 1 85 127

Under NUM you put the actual Control # you want.
The Val HAS to be a number between 1 - 127, Logic won’t let you enter anything else.

In the ASSIGN KNOBS question - I would assume the -64 to +63 is what the rotary pots put out,

-64 through -39 = ARP 1 (so this means any # -64 to-39 will set to ARP 1?)
-38 through -14 = ARP 2 
-13 through +12 = ARP 3 
+13 through +37 = ARP 4 
+38 through +63 = ARP 5

and that corresponds to the values listed in the manual for XS rack

0 – 25 (Arpeggio 1),
26 – 50 (Arpeggio 2),
51 – 76 (Arpeggio 3),
77 – 101 (Arpeggio 4),
102 – 127 (Arpeggio 5)

I will try resetting unit so that CC85 is arp 1-5 control.  then I can try entering a value of 1 - 127. 

I do have the CC’s reflecting the correct midi channel. I’ll do a factory reset and then try entering the numbers mentioned in the post you referred me too.

ISSUE 2 - (oh boy a lot to explain here)

For now both M3 and XS are connected via USB going into different jacks on MacPro 8-core.  XS is set to use USB.  I can’t get XS to see M3 directly..  I’m running XS software editor and I select M3 in the XS software set-up page.  But get no sound.. It is set up to XS port 1 per directions of manual.

If I plug in a midi cable between M3 and XS, and set XS hardware to look at MIDI that works fine.. Notes play, I can adjust filter, resonance, pitch-bend from M3.
--------------------
I understand little of audio midi setup. I have instruments in it, but no cables.  Perhaps I’m missing something here..
-------------------------
When I run Logic, XS sees M3 fine.. I’ve created XS and M3 instruments and can address all 16 or any one individual channel I want. I can play keyboard, and use M3’s realtime sliders to alter filter cut-off, resonance, envelop generator etc.. Pitch-bend and modulation work. So that is fine..

To address XS in Logic, I select XS port 1.  Port 4 I know is talking to XS hardware, and that is fine, any change I make on software or hardware is reflected.. I can load, and save patches fine.
-------------------
I’m having an issue here of ‘double notes’.  It appears whatever is sent to XS is reflected back, and summed inside to Logic.. Local control in XS has no effect on that.

So after recording a performance, I have to quantize notes to 96ths, delete duplicate notes, and then un-quantize..

I put a ‘cable switcher’ in Logic’s environment, and used M3 output instead of Physical inputs sum.. That worked a bit, I stopped getting the double notes.  Although when i loaded up the project on another day.. The environment is not intact.  a cable is missing, and I have no midi Input, I have to go back in and recable (that’s not right)

Other times XS not see notes, unless I send the SUM output, (you cannot shut off inputs into logic, except by physically removing cable.. That was ok for MIDI in and MIDI out cables, but not for USB, cause that is bi-directional.

I know I must be overlooking something.  I’m still trying to figure out all the intricies of the Korg M3 which I got 5 months back..

Thank you - I appreciate your observations and suggestions…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2009 @ 03:01 AM
angelonyc
Joined  07-20-2009

I reset XS to factory standards, and yes some of the CC commands I changed were put back to Motif standard..  I’ve uploaded a picture of Logic arrange page..(hope I got it right). 

A CC value of 85 turns arpeggiator on.  I have successfully used the incremental mode.. The display here uses the ‘direct mode’.  I switched the value at arp assign mode to ‘direct’ That is I can specify which arpeggio will play..

This example turns arp on, then off, then on again. It then should cycle thru arp 1 - 5 every measure.  This works fine until I get to measure 12.. Then then arpeggio no longer works.. I can’t figure out why.. I slid all the commands forward in time, so XS has time to settle before the notes are played..

Image Attachments
CC not working correctly 3.jpgCC not working correctly 3.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2009 @ 11:50 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/441836/

Sounds like a conflicting CC somewhere…

I’ll look into your other question a little later…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2009 @ 12:12 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

First things first: you should have had to install USB drivers for both the Korg and the XS Rack. When installed properly, they appear in the Audio MIDI Setup the first time each instrument is physically connected to the MAC and set to operate via USB mode. Drivers typically can be identified by their down-facing ports (triangles on bottom of device). In order for Logic to properly ‘see’ the keyboards themselves (I know, one of them is a Rack) :), those devices must be created. EXPLAINED HERE. This may in fact resolve the issue of the XS not being able to see the M3…

I’m having an issue here of ‘double notes’.

The AMS setup may help that. Also, check for the proper Local On/Off settings on the M3/XS Rack.

Try these and let’s see what progress we’ve made…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2009 @ 07:20 PM
angelonyc
Joined  07-20-2009

Yes, I have installed drives for for M3 and XS. They do appear in Audio Midi Setup. I’m a bit confused about M3.  Korg manual states there is an M3 sound and M3 keyboard port, but I think this in in the Windows version. 

I can send/receive midi and sysex data from Logic to M3.  I can trigger Korg Karma (arpegiator), on/off select, that all is fine..

Enclosed is Audio Midi Setup. I’m not sure why I have two Motifs and two M3 devices.. One of the M3 devices “M3 (0922) with a circled “i”.  I have no idea what that is…

Then the 2nd Motif has four ports, but port four has what appears to be 4 inputs/and outputs..

I somehow blindly arrived at this situation thru much trial and tribulation.  No one at the Logic Pro forums seems to have much experience there.. I’ve asked several questions about Environments and Scoring, but never get any knowledgeable answers.

The M3 port in upper left corner has no inputs/outputs. And if you look at that you see it has ports called sound, and keyboard..  But I don’t know how you connect that up. 

I believe I can save this setup in “Audio Midi Setup” and create 2nd stripped down set-up, that should be my first step, is to get rid of these extra componants. The Duet works fine, I select that in Logics core audio, or sound panel.

If you look on the bottom left corner of photo, you see the Logic’s physical input.  Normally the ‘sum’ is sent out, so I put a cable switcher in go from sum or MacPro, Although sometimes when I reload a song, a cable is missing.  It takes me a few minutes to trace the problem of no midi input.

There is no way to make a USB MIDI cable one direction only is there? I’ts always bi-directional.’’
I’ve inclued a 2nd photo showing the port inputs, that all appears to be fine. I can select where I want a midi track to go (which instrument)…

Image Attachments
logic environment 2.jpgport inputs.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2009 @ 07:49 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I’m sorry which Logic are you using. Also I’m a little confused by the M3 Device versus the M3 (9022) Device also however, we don’t have to be concerned about the first because there are no Port showing…

However, I believe the cables should be as follows: from the Yamah USB-Driver to the XS Rack Device and the M3 Driver to the M3 Keyboard Device.

It’s not a uestion of the ports ‘appearance’ because the drivers control that. However, for Logic to see both the keyboard and the Rack, they should be connected as above. In Logic 8 or 9,(I can’t speak for 7, before my time)… :) Port #1 will change and reflct the name of the Keyboard Device in AMS- demonstrating that it is now seeing the keyboard or in this case rack…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2009 @ 09:58 PM
angelonyc
Joined  07-20-2009

I’m using LogicPro 8, on Macpro 8 core, osx 10.5.6

I’m confused by your statement:

“However, I believe the cables should be as follows: from the Yamah USB-Driver to the XS Rack Device and the M3 Driver to the M3 Keyboard Device.”

Referring to the audio midi devices image I uploaded - are the the devices with the “circled i” the drivers?. 

I’ll create another configuration and experiment with that tomorrow.

Thanx for taking the time to help me work thru this.  I used to be able to figure stuff like this in a flash, but either I’m getting too old, losing brain cells, or things are just getting more complicated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2009 @ 10:26 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

In AMS, Drivers appear automatically- the Keyboard Devices must be created. Also, the triangles representing the MIDI Ports are on the bottom of Driver Devices and on the Top of Keyboard Devices. In the Pic, you and the Rack Tone Generator Device cables to the M3 Driver Device. The M3 Keyboard Device and the Yamah USB Driver Device are not connected…

In my pic, I have my XS8 cabled to both my mLAN Driver (YSFW) and the Yamaha USB Driver (I’ve removed the name for reasons too long to get into). So depending on how I am connected, (via mLAN or USB), Logic with still ‘see’ the keyboard.

Image Attachments
Picture 6.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2009 @ 12:34 AM
angelonyc
Joined  07-20-2009

Sorry Motif8mine for the absence.. I tried to respond the other night but the server would not let me post a reply or upload an image.. I’m still trying to get things working here.  But I have to go to Boston for several days to take care of my elderly mom (I live in NYC).

When I get back, I’ll dive in again..

Another question.. Motif mLan latency - Do you find the Motif responds well with mLan set-up?  I have a Korg M3, but their mLan set-up has such latency, it’s pretty much useless.  USB midi is the fastest for it.. Other Korg users have experienced this too..

I was interested in getting the mLan for the Motif XS - rack, but not if it has such latency.  I’m using Logic Pro, with virtual instruments, and the Motif XS rack, and Korg M3.  It’ getting to be a headache trying to keep everything in sync and ‘live’.  There is not enough Logic pre-delay to bring Korg into time using Mlan. 

thanx..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2009 @ 09:25 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

No, I am not experiencing any latency issues. But, there are settings in both Logic and the XS to offset this. In the XS namely, mLAN Monitor Settings, which allow you to here the signal path directly as opposed to the latency it picks up when going through the software… Korg should have an equivalent…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ using motif xs with logic
Next Topic:

So I just ordered Logic Studio 9... ››