mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "midi controller doesn’t switch banks when calling up voices."

Posted on: July 28, 2009 @ 04:39 PM
ardenik
Total Posts:  22
Joined  03-04-2003

Hi,

I’m using a Nord Stage to control a Yamaha Motif Rack ES. I can save patches in my Nord which call up the right voice number from the Motif Rack ES, but I have to switch to the right BANK manually, on the Motif’s front panel Bank < > buttons.

For example, if I save a patch using #50 from PRE1 bank. & another patch using #32 from PRE3. If I switch from the first one to the second one, it calls up #32, but stays in the PRE1 bank. I have to switch to PRE3 manually on the Yamaha’s panel… needless to say, this is very inconvenient.

I’m certain there must be a way to rectify this. Probably just a minor issue in the settings. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

A

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 01:12 PM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Hey, Ardenik.

In short, the MOTIF wants both an MSB and LSB setting before the PC is transmitted.  The Nord usually doesn’t send the LSB setting, and is probably sending the wrong value. 

Check out this post:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/377369/

The problem was fixed with some mild trickery by ensuring you send a CC0=63 command before selecting voices.

uncaduncad: Each program, when the External section is used on the Stage, can send 4 things:  Volume, Program Change, Program Bank (LSB), and a single CC # and CC Value for that number.
Since I don’t need the CC# for anything else, I set the CC# to 0, and set the value to 63.  Bingo, it works.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 05, 2009 @ 04:18 PM
ardenik
Total Posts:  22
Joined  03-04-2003

thank you, this really helped. I got it to work perfectly… & now, it seems like this problem has been rectified in the new version of the nord OS, so it’s got the MSB’s & LSB’s well in order.. :)

however, is this possible to do with sounds other than in the regular “voice” mode of the Motif Rack ES?

the manual does not say what the MSB & LSB numbers are for the “Performance"s… what if I want to use a Patch which I have made in the Motif Rack ES in Performance mode using more than one of its voices , controlled by the Nord Stage as an “Extern” instrument?

Thanks for the help!

Arden

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 05, 2009 @ 05:17 PM
Derek Cook
Total Posts:  249
Joined  12-31-2005

Hi, I use an ES Rack in multi mode and I switch multis using a Yamaha EX (which is my main keyboard - the best synth that Yamaha ever did!). To switch Multis you need a bank select MSB of 63 and a bank select LSB of 64 following by the Multi number.

I always have the Motif in multi mode when gigging, to keep things consistent. So I make a multi even when I just need a single voice

To switch performances, it’s 63 and 64.

HTH

[ Ignore ]