mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "VH Board"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: September 25, 2009 @ 11:09 PM
midinut
Total Posts:  93
Joined  02-21-2009

Peter:

I grabbed a VH board and all I can say is WOW !!! Lots of fun playing around so far. I also grabbed a DX board and am exploring the inner workings of it. Will the DX Manager software from FM-Alive work with the PLG card or is that just for the DX/TX series?

Also, has anybody run across any DX7 tutorials or videos online that might be helpful in wrapping your head around FM?

IIRC, Yamaha made a couple of synths (DX9? and GS1?) that were supposed to be basically two DX7’s in a box with the capability of “layering” multiple DX patches. Can this be done with the DX card in a Motif? I’m thinking if your created a performance and assigned two DX voices to it you could accomplish much the same. But I’m not finding anything that says whether you can use more than one DX voice in a performance.

Thanks in advance as always. I have enough new toys to keep me busy for awhile so no hurry!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2009 @ 07:10 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Unfortunately, you could not layer more than one plug-in sounds from the same board. In order to do it you should put two DX boards in ES. This will also increase the polyphony of DX to 32.
If you need some more information, useful programs, patches (including original ROMs that could be loaded to PLG-DX!) and links about FM and DX try these:

FM-Alive for Classic Yamaha Synthesizers
DXulator
Unofficial Yamaha DX7 resource centre

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2009 @ 10:12 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002
nbadesign - 26 September 2009 07:10 PM

Unfortunately, you could not layer more than one plug-in sounds from the same board. In order to do it you should put two DX boards in ES. This will also increase the polyphony of DX to 32.

Just a slight clarification, you can either have 2 parts with DX voices or have a single voice with double the polyphony of a single board not both at the same time.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2009 @ 02:34 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

So Brad, if I’m hearing you correctly, I could install two DX boards but not link them together for polyphony and use two DX voices in a performance? Is this correct?

I remember playing a GS1 (I think it was) at Gary Luenberger’s (sp) store in San Francisco way back in 1980 or so and was blown away by the layering of two DX voices. I wonder if those patches are available online and if one could “recreate” them with the above configuration? Just curious.

I am very impressed with both the DX card and the VH card. I already have an AN board in there as well. I had to take out the VL board for the time being. I’m thinking unless I find a way to sneak the vocal harmonies into perfoming live, I’ll probably just use it here at home in the studio and put the VL back in for gigging (with the BC3 of course).

You guys have been a great deal of help here and I really appreciate it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2009 @ 02:51 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

... correct… Brad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2009 @ 02:01 AM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

Yea, the VH board is a blast. You can use the VH board for live set ups. I’m not sure but you can actually program the harmonies in the sequencer. If you look thru the archives, I remember someone explaining it. Patchchord… if I remember correctly.

The DX manager does not work with the board, sorry to say.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2009 @ 06:12 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
midinut - 27 September 2009 02:34 AM

So Brad, if I’m hearing you correctly, I could install two DX boards but not link them together for polyphony and use two DX voices in a performance? Is this correct?

I remember playing a GS1 (I think it was) at Gary Luenberger’s (sp) store in San Francisco way back in 1980 or so and was blown away by the layering of two DX voices. I wonder if those patches are available online and if one could “recreate” them with the above configuration? Just curious.

I am very impressed with both the DX card and the VH card. I already have an AN board in there as well. I had to take out the VL board for the time being. I’m thinking unless I find a way to sneak the vocal harmonies into perfoming live, I’ll probably just use it here at home in the studio and put the VL back in for gigging (with the BC3 of course).

Yes, Brad is wright about two part / polyphony. I just want to be shortest as it is possible :).
I have also some thoughts about how to add VH and another DX, while I still have VL, AN and DX in ES. I’m thinking of buying Rack ES and to put two DX boards in it, while in ES I would keep VL and AN and add VH. In this way I could also keep BC3 controller for VL (and some other ES voices also).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2009 @ 12:37 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009
nbadesign - 28 September 2009 06:12 PM
midinut - 27 September 2009 02:34 AM

Yes, Brad is wright about two part / polyphony. I just want to be shortest as it is possible :).
I have also some thoughts about how to add VH and another DX, while I still have VL, AN and DX in ES. I’m thinking of buying Rack ES and to put two DX boards in it, while in ES I would keep VL and AN and add VH. In this way I could also keep BC3 controller for VL (and some other ES voices also).

Alex

I am considering the option as well of grabbing a used ES Rack to do the same. Actually, two AN boards would be great too now that I think about it. So many options and so little time.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ PLG150-AN: ALL SOLD
Next Topic:

PLG100-VH question for robot-like effect? ››