mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PLG 150-DX Solid Bass or Lately Bass preset"

Posted on: July 12, 2009 @ 03:20 PM
leachn1
Total Posts:  36
Joined  11-23-2003

One of the classic DX Bass sounds was known as ‘Lately Bass’ on the TX81Z and (I think it’s the same or similar) ‘Solid Bass’ on the DX11.

I’m willing to bet that an identically programmed copy of this preset is somewhere on the many presets of the PLG150-DX. Does anyone happen to know which one it is?

Nick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2009 @ 07:34 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
leachn1 - 12 July 2009 03:20 PM

One of the classic DX Bass sounds was known as ‘Lately Bass’ on the TX81Z and (I think it’s the same or similar) ‘Solid Bass’ on the DX11.

I’m willing to bet that an identically programmed copy of this preset is somewhere on the many presets of the PLG150-DX. Does anyone happen to know which one it is?

Nick

If you wish to have the same voice of DX (if you have it already), it is easy to load it to PLG150-DX via DX Simulator software. You should have your DX voice in sysex format and PLG will accept it without problems (only from DX7 and DX7II, but it should not be a problem if it is FM instrument with the same number of operators). I have attached you TX81Z banks in sysex format. In tx81z_3.syx is your ‘Lately Bass’ sound.

Alex

File Attachments
TX81Z.zip  (File Size: 7KB - Downloads: 1435)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2009 @ 05:47 PM
leachn1
Total Posts:  36
Joined  11-23-2003

Thanks Alex.

Is it actually possible to load sysex files into the DX Simulator?  It seems to deal in cartridge files: I didn’t find an option to import sysex.

I had a dig around with the sysex you kindly sent and then put it into a shareware TX81Z patch editor. I found that unfortunately the TX was a four operator FM machine, so the sysex (and the programming) is not compatible with the DX7 anyway.  When I looked at the algorithm used: there isn’t an exact equivalent on the DX7, it is

3 4-feedback
| |
_
|
|

You could probably get something close by using DX7 algorithm 16, switching off operator 2 and making operators 3 and 5 identical. If I get time to do this, and clone this famous sound, I’ll be sure to post it back!

Cheers,

Nick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2009 @ 06:29 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
leachn1 - 15 July 2009 05:47 PM

Thanks Alex.

Is it actually possible to load sysex files into the DX Simulator?  It seems to deal in cartridge files: I didn’t find an option to import sysex.

Actually, you coud receive bulk data in sysex format in DX Simulator from DX7 or similar instrument. Instead of real DX, you could load sysex in your DAW and transmit it to DX Simulator or use some utility software for transmitting sysex. I think that MIDI OX is freeware for that purpose. See page 22 of DX Simulator manual which I have attached. Also, you have that explanation in PLG150-DX manual.

Alex

File Attachments
Rcv_DX_data.pdf  (File Size: 31KB - Downloads: 1229)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2009 @ 07:36 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

Actually the TX7 is 6 operator. It is exactly like the DX7. There do seem to be some issues regarding sysex between the two however from what I have found.

PeterS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2010 @ 05:04 AM
thestarguy
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-05-2003

DX-7 & TX-7 are both six-operator FM synths, with compatible formats for SYS-EX data.  Data may be moved freely between these synths using MIDI.  The TX81Z is a 4 operator FM synth, which also used 7 other waveforms in addition to sine waves for programming.  Many of the sounds created on the TX81Z are totally unique, for this reason.  I used to program many sounds for the TX81Z that could not be easily produced on the 6 operator synths, especially breathy sounds.  Still, you might be able to come close.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Installing PGL boards in my Motif 7.
Next Topic:

PLG 100 DX vs PLG150 DX ››