mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Drums on separate outputs in multimode."

Posted on: July 05, 2009 @ 10:04 AM
Rombo
Total Posts:  5
Joined  07-04-2009

Wrong folder before..

Hi..new here

Just got a Motif ES rack. Great sounds :)

What I want to do is play synth parts live.
I have 40 midifiles that are ready, in correct key etc.
I used VST sounds, but that does not work live, and making a MP3 sounds bad, and only mono, due to the CLick to the drummer.

So I go for a midiplayer and MOTIF ES.

The drummer should get the GM drumbeat in his in-ear, as click.
Drums should be played only in a assigable output 4, not LR.

Then the pads, strings,pianos etc. should be played out to the Left/Right.

Sounds easy, but im on the third day now:S

Would do anthing for some quick help, as we have some gigs ahead.

I go into the GM std Stereo kit, selects assigable output under OSC meny.
But still drums are in the LR mix?
Is that something in the midi-file itself?

I cant get the assigable outputs working only playing a midi keyboard either, always L/R?

I do the steps in the manual, but still L/R..
Something under Multi?

Vista 32
USB driver
I use Cubase studio 4 4.5.2
I also got a Fireface 800 connected.
I been struggling with studio conections, but cant get it to work at all :(
timeout/dump errors..but that is not crucial now.

Question Nr. 2

I can select programs in the MOTIF from cubase, via a patch, so that works.
I found that the GM sounds is so limited, so i want to choose my own sounds, non GM, is there a way to write to the midi part when
I found a good sound I like. Or must one manually type in the program change message in the begining i the midipart?
Every time I change a sound to my liking in the middle of the song, it goes back to what is in the Midifile.

Seems a bit strange having to look in the PARTSLIST to find the band and number, when the sound is selected on the actual miditrack?

Long one..sorry;)

Thanks Lars

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 11:38 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

I think you have to CREATE your own Drum Kit (or copy an existing one; it doesn’t have to be GM, does it?).

Modify it to send to the Assignable Out.  Store it in a USER DRUM location.

In your MULTI, select THAT voice in the mix. 

#2> You ought to be able to load the Midi File into an editor like ProTools, Cubase, Sonar, etc, and strip out all the PC messages, and also strip out the SysEx that sets the tone module to GM mode.  Then, you can select whatever voices you want for any of the tracks, and save it as a new MIDI file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 12:50 PM
Rombo
Joined  07-04-2009

Hello

Thank you.
Yes, that is one option.

I also fond in the List data manual..
One can select this by midi.

Adress 47 ee 12 1(Hex 00 – 4F)Output Select 0: L&R;8: asnL&R;9 – 15: asn1&2;– asn13&14;64 – 79: asnL, asnR, asn1 – asn1

But im a guitarist, haha, how do I insert this in the drum midi track, List editor maybe??  And then..??? :S

//Lars

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 03:37 PM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

What you’re showing there won’t work.  It’s the MIDI parameter table data for a DRUM KEY, not the whole voice, and certainly not within a multi.

If you wanted to, on the fly, change the assignable output for, say, Track 10 of a multi from L&R;to Assign 4, you’d have to send this string:

43h 1nh 7Fh 00h 37h 0Ah 1Eh 09h F7h

where N=device number 0h thru Fh

I think you’re making this too difficult; Don’t use a sledgehammer (SysEx programming) when a stapler will work (just edit your MIDI file.)

Just edit your MIDI file, edit the MULTI to set the drum track where you want it, and be done with it.

Oh, and don’t use General MIDI with the MOTIF-ES Rack.  While it will work, you’re putting 1 pound of potatoes into a 50 pound bag.  :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 07:04 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Good advice. If, indeed, the files you are using are originally GM Files you should probably learn to edit those files.

It is work, yes, but well worth it to get the sounds and the routing you desire when you press [PLAY].

Setup your MULTIs in the Motif-Rack ES and simply send a command to recall your MULTI (instead of usual GM RESET command). Once you have your own MULTIs setup you can DELETE that GM RESET Command (F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7).

If you are using the GM RESET command you are not taking advantage of any of the SYSTEM EFFECTS or any of the many parameters that are typically ‘zeroed’ out by the GM RESET command. By removing it and using the Motif-Rack ES’s own MULTI setup you can recall all the effects, EQ, output routing etc., etc. 

Once you have selected the substitute sounds that you want from your Motif-Rack ES library, name the MULTI with the title of the SONG and STORE it to a location.

You may have noticed that GM Bass sounds are an octave higher than the internal bank Bass sounds - so you may want to adjust the data in the track for the Bass sound (if you select an internal).

You can recall a MULTI in the Motif-Rack ES from Cubase by sending the proper Bank Select and Program Change messages:

Controller 0 (Bank Select MSB) = 63
Controller 32 (Bank Select LSB) = 65
Program Change = 1~128

By recalling the MULTI you can setup each MULTI just as you like, with the DRUM PART routed to the Assignable R output ("asR").

BTW: You have a Preference setting that allows Cubase to CHASE EVENTS - this is why the sound keeps returning when you press STOP… FILE > PREFERENCES > MIDI > CHASE EVENTS > uncheck Program Change > APPLY > OK

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2009 @ 10:27 AM
Rombo
Joined  07-04-2009

Thank you.

Yes, it seem to be the only way with multis.

My problem there is I cant get the multipart or any Studio connection to work, 1000 error messages, buffer timout, error, etc.

I use Vista so maybe thats the reason?

And i want to listen while the midi is playing until i find a sound that I like.

Doing it from the ES panel will make me insane haha.

But making a dedicated user drumset with assigable outputs
and then open GM file. Delete the first parts on al tracks.
Select the new sounds on the motif from the inspetor in cubase.
For Ch 10 select the user drumkit i made.

Select export midifile.

Does this method give me a midifile I can use from whatever midiplayer to the Motif, and it will sound as from Cubase?

Or must I create a multi for each song?

Regards Lars

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2009 @ 12:42 PM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

Or must I create a multi for each song?

Well, that depends.  If you can configure CUBASE to save the MIDI FILE with all the required Program Changes, or whatever you want to do saved into that MIDI file,

AND when you PLAY the file in a separate MIDI player,

AND the MOTIF behaves the way you want it to, then NO, you don’t have to create a MULTI for each song.

In STUDIO recording (like I do) I put ALL of my programming in Cakewalk.  I have a SINGLE MULTI (called TONY of all things) that I use almost EVERY TIME.  That works for me, but LIVE PERFORMANCE may dictate a totally different workflow.

You can do SIMPLE things easily in MIDI (like adjusting Chorus, Reverb, Volume, PAN, etc. etc., even the parameters on an INSERT effect) and not have to touch the MULTI programming.

There are other things you CANNOT do easily in the MIDI file (like changing WHICH parts get the INSERTs, Which CHANNEL the parts are assigned to (for layering, as an example), Transpose settings, etc.. etc..) and expect them to work easily in a exported MIDI file.  With THOSE things, you’re better off having a tailored MULTI for the song that you can recall instantly as Bad Mister describes.  Then, you can just keep a library of MULTIs from the Studio Manager and keep them available for immediate recall whenever you want them.

As to your other stuff about Studio Connection; I can’t help you there.  I’ve never used it.

[ Ignore ]